Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: New Sonic 1 boss info? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

New Sonic 1 boss info? Portugese Video

#31 User is offline LOst 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:06 AM

• Wiki edits:2

Spindash54, on Dec 18 2005, 08:00 AM, said:

I'm just a little wracked on where/when the blinking lights were implemented.

I can understand the UFO's and ball being macro enabled, but why should the blue/red&blue lights be a part of this. They're not anything special gained by a macro define.

You have to give a little more info about these lights you are talking about. Do you mean the boss chain holder? Don't get fooled by low quality WMV compressed video.

#32 User is offline Varion Icaria 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

• He's waiting....
  • Project:S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
  • Wiki edits:1
Here you all go. I whipped this up in PSP8.

You're all welcome.

Edit: I'm working on the Diagonal sprites.

Edit 2: Anybody know of a freeware gif animator with BETTER quality? I'd use Animation Shop 3 if the trial never expired --;.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by R. Solaris: 18 December 2005 - 01:14 AM

#33 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:41 AM

This has brought me out to comment on.

First off, good work! this is an amazing find... and why was it not seen before? Why is there only 1 video of this? Oh well:

What I noticed (Not sure if this is seen or not)

- Sonic's jump sounds different. Listen in, you can hear it
- Sonic has no white sripe on his shoes

Hmm... I have a suspison this was edited too... Maybe the Ad producers didn't like the ball effect. This is because at the end of the ad it says Sonic comes in the Box, therefore must have been complete at the time. But then again it also ruins the stripe missing and the jump sound....

Oh well, back to hibernation.

Cyas. :)

#34 User is offline Elusive 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:31 AM

• Sparkster the Rocket Knight
I think it strange that we can still access the clod of earth wrecking ball item in the ROM... perhaps this came after the 'rolling stone' idea was scrapped? 'Hey, let's make a really snazzy boss effect while we've got ROM space left over.'

Sound Test breakdancing?

#35 User is offline LOst 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:09 AM

Elusive, on Dec 18 2005, 12:31 PM, said:

Sound Test breakdancing?

Yea, Sonic was supposed to breakdance at the soundtest according to the latest Naka interview. Naoto Oshima had animated it and everything was really cool, but Naka thought there wasn't much time left so he replaced the breakdance animation with the Sega sound. And from that day we hear SEYGAH everytime we want to play Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K.

#36 User is offline LOst 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:10 AM

Vangar, on Dec 18 2005, 11:41 AM, said:

Hmm... I have a suspison this was edited too... Maybe the Ad producers didn't like the ball effect. This is because at the end of the ad it says Sonic comes in the Box, therefore must have been complete at the time. But then again it also ruins the stripe missing and the jump sound....

Yea, I get the feeling of a hoax.

#37 User is offline Shade 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

• Wiki edits:137
I agree with LOst. I think we would've seen odities such as this sooner if it werent exclusive to the video. The two points Vangar brought up could be related to video quality issues, but it is indeed something to ponder.

Still, why in the hell would they go to the trouble to edit that into a gameplay clip if it is indeed a video edit? It makes no sense to me. I'm still very split on the whole thing.

Oh, and Vangar, come back damn you :cry:

#38 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

• Wiki edits:18

Rika Chou, on Dec 17 2005, 05:30 PM, said:

Deathbyteacup, on Dec 17 2005, 03:09 PM, said:

as the ball goes behind the left platform, a part of the platform goes missing, and the ball becomes slightly mishaped. If I had to have a theory, I would put forward the idea that in this version of the game, for whatever reason, the ball is not visable, and so this rather fancy ball was put on during editing (but rather sloppy, if I am right).

Looks more like video quality issues if you ask me.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Dioxaz, on Dec 17 2005, 05:44 PM, said:

Note that this is originally a French commercial (even the "Sega c'est plus fort que toi" has been translated litterally at the end). And I bet it would be exactly the same (but noone ever knows). Unfortunately, that French version can't be found anywhere.

It was also a Spanish commercial, it doesn't necessarily come from France. I guess it comes from wherever SEGA's marketing dep. was at that time.

Shade, on Dec 17 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

I think we can be safe in believing this wasn't the beggining of development (maybe near it) because Green Hill is set at daytime. Unless the nightime GHZ shots were mock-ups

As far as I know, Green Hill Zone was never set at night time (and it wouldn't make sense). Just bad scans of certain pics.

LOst, on Dec 17 2005, 10:57 PM, said:

The ball only update the white diamond thingy. The rest of the ball is just a static sprite.

Take a close look at the place where the ball is chained. It looks like it has a darker red part with horizontal and diagonal frames.

Vangar, on Dec 18 2005, 03:41 AM, said:

- Sonic has no white sripe on his shoes

His shoes do have a white stripe.

Oh well, back to hibernation.

Cyas.  :)

See ya tomorrow!

#39 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:35 PM

• Wiki edits:18

LOst, on Dec 18 2005, 05:10 AM, said:

I get the feeling of a hoax.

Shade, on Dec 18 2005, 12:31 PM, said:

why in the hell would they go to the trouble to edit that into a gameplay clip if it is indeed a video edit? It makes no sense

What he said. The marketing guys wouldn't have gone into the trouble to edit that so carefully just for those few seconds.

EDIT: Quick hoax below.
EDIT 2: Just noticed that the BG alignment is exatcly the same as in the final version, so this must have been one of the last builds they made.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by ICEknight: 18 December 2005 - 01:08 PM

#40 User is offline Caitlin 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

• Mechromancer
  • Project:single mother
  • Wiki edits:35
Damn, If I wanted to work with Sonic 1, this would be perfect for it... Good job ICEknight.

#41 User is offline Gamerguy 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:24 PM

• SHHHHHHH
Solaris, send the still frames to me and I'll compile them with ImageReady. Email: [email protected] or any of the IMs is fine.

This is certainly interesting. The arguement that it may have been added just for the commercial isn't all that valid. Things from old versions have made it into the final products and advertisements before. Look at the title screen in the Sonic 2 manual or the screenshots on the box. That video was probably taken by Sonic Team during the games development for a magazine or something, and the advertising firm just used the resources available to them.

Here's MY theory: the ball in the final version was originally an object for Sonic to run on top of, right? It was obviously taken out at some point in development. Sonic Team intended for the ball to be as it was in this video, but technical issues forced them to change that. The old ball wasn't being used anymore, and the programming for it was already finished, so they put it there in the 3D one's place.

I checked the other scene with the fish jumping up to the bridge, and everything aligned perfectly with the final version.
This post has been edited by Gamerguy: 18 December 2005 - 01:28 PM

#42 User is offline Varion Icaria 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

• He's waiting....
  • Project:S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
  • Wiki edits:1
Your old MSN is still added to my list. I also have the up and down frames but the diagonal frames I can't draw properly ><.

#43 User is offline StephenUK 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

• Liquor in the front, poker in the rear
  • Project:Quackshot Disassembly
I think I might put this into a hack sometime this week.

#44 User is offline Psydan 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

Theory:

They could have edited the video for the purpose of making the advert more eye-catching - that's what adverts are for, after all. Sonic was Sega's flagship game, so even for those few seconds they would want it to stand out to the viewer as much as possible.

On an unrelated note, that Sonic 2 "infomercial" on the site's video page is the greatest advert ever created. Ever.
This post has been edited by Psydan: 18 December 2005 - 01:45 PM

#45 User is offline Spindash54 

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

• Did you ever wonder how he spins in place?
Yeah, Gamerguy, ICEknight, I kinda already mentioned the BG's being in allignment back on page 2. I'm glad someone else noticed it though.

And LOst, I do mean the boss' chain holder. The lights in the video are very clearly both blue and blue.

I'll get some comparison pics in a few minutes, but its blue/blue in the video and blue/red in the final.
This post has been edited by Spindash54: 18 December 2005 - 01:35 PM

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users