Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Dr. Robotnik's face in Sonic 2 Beta - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Dr. Robotnik's face in Sonic 2 Beta Green Hill Zone boss

#31 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91

View PostQuexinos, on Feb 20 2008, 10:14 PM, said:

he laughs when Sonic just plain ol dies too

Nope. I inverstigated this (I don't know why it took me so long) but the only activity that occurs on Sonic's death pretty much ever is that Tails goes into his flying animation and travels after Sonic. All other animation freezes, Robotnik included. The laugh is never shown.

I guess if it's part of some general Robotnik sprite/object programming it would make sense, but not for this boss on its own.

#32 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

• Imageshack took down my old avatar after nearly a decade
  • Project:catching 'em all
  • Wiki edits:1,168
See: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EiRM1RTDaUk
Around the 0:55-mark.
Tails is hit by an arrow from the Aquatic Ruin boss, and the laughing animation plays.

Right, this is backing Quickman's earlier statement regarding the player getting hit and Dr. Robotnik playing the laughing animation.
I'd forgotten said statement, as it's been about a month and a half and just now I only checked the date of the last post on the previous page, not its content.
This post has been edited by SoNick: 01 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

#33 User is offline Muzozavr 

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Never knew this, but there's one thing I'd like to say: it's very likely that DEZ was supposed to be a full-fledged zone, therefore it would have rings.
I don't know if anybody posted this (it's pretty tough to search on this, for now the search didn't give me anything similar) but there's one thing that makes this a darn obvious idea.
I mean, why anybody would compose a 2-minute soundtrack if it plays for a few seconds at max?
The 2-act structure of the empty DEZ in Wai beta only confirms this.

#34 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Well, yes and no. The default structure for Zones in that game is 2 Acts, whether both are used or not...

#35 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:14 AM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69

View PostMuzozavr, on Apr 8 2008, 08:46 PM, said:

Never knew this, but there's one thing I'd like to say: it's very likely that DEZ was supposed to be a full-fledged zone, therefore it would have rings.

Why? Where is your evidence?

I don't know if anybody posted this (it's pretty tough to search on this, for now the search didn't give me anything similar) but there's one thing that makes this a darn obvious idea.
I mean, why anybody would compose a 2-minute soundtrack if it plays for a few seconds at max?

What are you talking about... the music for the game was composed and placed for zones afterwards. And besides they were probably like "we need some dramatic music for the final zone", and so it got composed. Besides it's only 50seconds long.

The 2-act structure of the empty DEZ in Wai beta only confirms this.

What Overlord said.
This post has been edited by Qjimbo: 13 April 2008 - 10:14 AM

#36 User is offline Muzozavr 

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

• Wiki edits:4

the music for the game was composed and placed for zones afterwards

Really? I've never seen this mentioned anywhere. Where's your evidence? If that's true, then my DEZ theory loses evidence, and I'll agree with you. Until then I'll stick with it, OK? Do you allow me that? :)

It's only about 50 seconds long

Hmmm! Sure feels longer while listening. I can tell you two things however:
1) that's still a lot for a sonic level, and
2) in DEZ in particular, the FACT is that unless you just decide to stay there to listen for it, you won't hear more than 5-6 seconds of the soundtrack. So if it's convoluted enough and loops after 14-15 seconds, it would've worked for this zone -- nobody'd notice a difference!

#37 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:16 AM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5
DEZ's song is 50 seconds, so what? Aquatic Ruin's is LESS at 42 (or 45?) seconds!

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users