Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Dr. Robotnik's face in Sonic 2 Beta - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Dr. Robotnik's face in Sonic 2 Beta Green Hill Zone boss

#16 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:54 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
Perhaps the title of this topic and other vaguely named topics in the archive should be renamed to make it easier to navigate?

#17 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:40 PM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
Good idea.

#18 User is offline S-Sonic 

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:00 PM

I don't know if this is known but if you go into Death Egg Zone in the final and give yourself rings with debug, if you get hurt, eggman the little window "Laughs". I made a statesave of it.

Attached File  Eggman_Face.zip (39.81K)
Number of downloads: 9

#19 User is offline Hayate 

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

• Wiki edits:70
Posting in a 2 year old topic because the guy above me did first.

View PostSuperlocke, on Nov 27 2005, 05:26 PM, said:

weird...the clouds in the background also seem different >_>;;

but this is probably old as hell too..

That's just the "4" on the ring counter looking like part of the cloud, I think.

#20 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Why must people keep posting things they find in debug? I think Quickman's old debug topic needs a bump.
Seriously it's pointless to post stuff you find in debug unless if you do something in debug in HPZ and it causes Tails to eat the Master Emerald... then it'd be postworthy.

#21 User is offline S-Sonic 

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

If the game thinks there are rings in Death Egg that means that it was originaly planed to have rings in it. There, I have proved that there was originaly rings in death egg using debug.
This post has been edited by S-Sonic: 18 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

#22 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

• Imageshack took down my old avatar after nearly a decade
  • Project:catching 'em all
  • Wiki edits:1,168
OBJECTION!

Let's think this through logically for just a bit.
And I will admit that I'm horribly over-simplifying things here; just about everything I'm saying in this post is common knowledge.
With that out of the way...

Let's examine your argument:

View PostS-Sonic, on Jan 18 2008, 07:22 AM, said:

If the game thinks there are rings in Death Egg that means that it was originaly planed to have rings in it. There, I have proved that there was originaly rings in death egg using debug.

"If the game thinks there are rings in Death Egg" is a horrible statement. However, it seems that you are trying to state that the game checks for rings in Death Egg.

Now, why is this you ask?
It's simple, really: The movement engine used in Death Egg is the same one used in the rest of the game.
Proving this is trivial; compare how Sonic moves in Death Egg Zone with how he moves in the rest of the game.
Do you see any differences? Any at all?
I didn't think so.

Even a tiny amount of programming knowledge and common sense states that the movement engine is separate from the levels themselves.
Enjoy being stuck in PA when you've used your posts up, kid.

#23 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Well, it's probably a fairly well-known thing, at least to those of us who couldn't, as kids, get past that boss.

But there is a valid point to some of what he says... why bother creating additional art for that segment if it's not supposed to show up in-game?

I checked, and all this time I thought that the little metal square Robotnik peeks his head out of was part of the same sprite as his face. It isn't. It IS however different from the sprites of him in the egg-o-matic since the windscreen isn't in the way.

This does bring one to wonder why exactly they would bother doing it if, in fact, that art isn't supposed to be seen under proper conditions anyway. It doesn't "prove" much of anything, though, admittedly. It does make one wonder why this event was programmed into this boss's routine as well, which is what I think he meant by that

I also always thought that the whole debug thing meant that if the game glitches in debug that said incident isn't particularly noteworthy, but what of, say, a hidden section of a level not accessible by debug, or additional art? Maybe not the most meaningful ever, but since this is clearly not some random bug but part of this boss's programming, it may as well get mentioned if hasn't already been.

#24 User is offline shobiz 

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

• Wiki edits:4,411

View PostSoNick, on Jan 18 2008, 09:08 PM, said:

OBJECTION!

Let's think this through logically for just a bit.
And I will admit that I'm horribly over-simplifying things here; just about everything I'm saying in this post is common knowledge.
With that out of the way...

Let's examine your argument:

View PostS-Sonic, on Jan 18 2008, 07:22 AM, said:

"If the game thinks there are rings in Death Egg" is a horrible statement. However, it seems that you are trying to state that the game checks for rings in Death Egg.

Now, why is this you ask?
It's simple, really: The movement engine used in Death Egg is the same one used in the rest of the game.
Proving this is trivial; compare how Sonic moves in Death Egg Zone with how he moves in the rest of the game.
Do you see any differences? Any at all?
I didn't think so.

Even a tiny amount of programming knowledge and common sense states that the movement engine is separate from the levels themselves.
Enjoy being stuck in PA when you've used your posts up, kid.

You completely missed the point of his post - he was pointing out that because the window object contained a special check to see if Sonic was hurt (it's at loc_39C50 btw), it's highly probable that Death Egg Zone did have rings originally, and the programmers forgot to take the check out when the rings were removed.

#25 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Basically what I wanted to say, but explained better overall. Can't really expect some new guy to have looked that closely into a disasm. To be honest, neither have I.

#26 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:01 AM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5
Someone who is lucky enough to have a copy of Sonic Jam should play Death Egg in easy mode to see if the same event occurs. In such an instance, random "debug" occurances wouldn't be possible, since debug would be inactive.

#27 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Also, remember that Death Egg is the only level that loads the pigs' art into VRAM. So it might have been intended to have rings and enemies.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 21 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

#28 User is offline P.P.A. 

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

• SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER
  • Project:Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  • Wiki edits:21
QUOTE (XCubed┬│ @ Jan 20 2008, 11:01 AM) [post="176535"]Posted Image Posted Image
This post has been edited by P.P.A.: 11 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

#29 User is offline Quexinos 

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

• Since 1997
  • Wiki edits:11
he laughs when Sonic just plain ol dies too

#30 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
Yeah it's not proof, it's just that when Sonic gets hurt, it triggers the laugh animation, with or without rings. It does this in quite a few of the other bosses too.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users