Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Labrynth Zone in Sonic 2? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Labrynth Zone in Sonic 2?

#16 User is offline shadow111 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:02 AM

• Project:trying to make some hoaxes

Beyond the Chaos Emeralds, on Aug 25 2003, 11:53 AM, said:

Im just thinkin labrynth zone was a name, the zone remained, the title didnt, maybey it was for hidden palace(OF COURSE I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF)

sounds reasonab;e but HPZ dosent hav much water in it

#17 User is offline BtCE 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:06 AM

• Butterfree, the Confusing Evolution
Actually it had more than many of us thought. Use debug and youll know what I mean.

#18 User is offline shadow111 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:13 AM

Beyond the Chaos Emeralds, on Aug 25 2003, 12:06 PM, said:

Actually it had more than many of us thought. Use debug and youll know what I mean.

ya there is some ova there

#19 User is offline SGR 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:35 AM

• It's time for Animaniacs.
  • Wiki edits:84
Okay, here's the deal, labyrinth is a blank level in sonic 2 beta, and in sonic 2, it's almost the same thing, except the emerald hill level layout is there, and you just fall through the floor, I have the GG code for it, but not right now, the GG code is somewhere in an old topic.(Happy hunting!) I also have proof that was the level name, if you found the code and used it in stage select, and selected EHZ 1, the title card says Labyrinth, there that's good enough right?
This post has been edited by Sonicguy: 25 August 2003 - 11:36 AM

#20 User is offline BtCE 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:41 AM

If u got proof, Ill buy it.

#21 User is offline Rob Jinnai 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:53 AM

• Not really master of theory debunking anymore
  • Project:Custom Game Engine Prototypes
  • Wiki edits:1
Okay, now I see what you're thinking about. Here's the scoop, folks.

In Sonic 1 original, Labrynth Zone is Zone ID #1 (where #0 is the first zone). In Sonic 2, Zone #1 isn't used. It never is. Not in Sonic 2 Beta or Final. Zone #0 is Green/Emerald Hill, Zone #2 is Wood. Zone #1 is always skipped and nothing is known about it except that it has no data and plays Emerald Hill's BGM. The only reason "Labrynth" will be associated with Zone #1 is because all leftover data from Sonic 1 such as zone titles and the like are still active in Sonic 2B. Here are two images I used from a previous topic to show this point:

Posted Image
Posted Image

MOST LIKELY there wasn't an actual "Labrynth Zone" really meant to be in Sonic 2. Of course, that's a very lightly interesting idea since Zone ID #1 is never actually used. (Neither is Zone ID #3, although I personally like to cling to a theory that that was the original slot if there ever was a desert level known as Dust Hill since the OOZ Final BGM is linked to it... and people say that sounds more like a desert than anything else in the beta.)
This post has been edited by Rob Jinnai: 25 August 2003 - 11:53 AM

#22 User is offline BtCE 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:55 AM

So they used the Origina Title Cards until they needed to change it?

#23 User is offline shadow111 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 12:19 PM

Rob Jinnai, on Aug 25 2003, 12:53 PM, said:

Okay, now I see what you're thinking about. Here's the scoop, folks.

In Sonic 1 original, Labrynth Zone is Zone ID #1 (where #0 is the first zone). In Sonic 2, Zone #1 isn't used. It never is. Not in Sonic 2 Beta or Final. Zone #0 is Green/Emerald Hill, Zone #2 is Wood. Zone #1 is always skipped and nothing is known about it except that it has no data and plays Emerald Hill's BGM. The only reason "Labrynth" will be associated with Zone #1 is because all leftover data from Sonic 1 such as zone titles and the like are still active in Sonic 2B. Here are two images I used from a previous topic to show this point:

Posted Image
Posted Image

MOST LIKELY there wasn't an actual "Labrynth Zone" really meant to be in Sonic 2. Of course, that's a very lightly interesting idea since Zone ID #1 is never actually used. (Neither is Zone ID #3, although I personally like to cling to a theory that that was the original slot if there ever was a desert level known as Dust Hill since the OOZ Final BGM is linked to it... and people say that sounds more like a desert than anything else in the beta.)

interesting I never knew that

#24 User is offline Rob Jinnai 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 12:25 PM

• Not really master of theory debunking anymore
  • Project:Custom Game Engine Prototypes
  • Wiki edits:1

Beyond the Chaos Emeralds, on Aug 25 2003, 11:55 AM, said:

So they used the Origina Title Cards until they needed to change it?

The original title card data was all in there, but the title cards themselves were disabled. (However, this explains the delay while you wait for levels to start in the beta; it's the old "fade out, level name thrown on screen, fly away" wait.) They just hadn't updated the system yet for Sonic 2 level names and such. I don't know myself, but aren't the zone names compressed somehow? If so, that would definitely explain why they hadn't just gone in and update them yet; more work than they needed to put out. :P

I want to know why starting there will have you be Sonic with a "MILES" life icon and your tiles started on your death frame. :huh:

Posted Image
All anomolies at once

In a completely arbitrary theory, I always wondered if perhaps this was for a "Emerald Hill Act 3", a la Metropolis Zone (where Act 3 is a seperate zone)

O_o... but to add to your point, Labrynth Zone's BGM is 82 in the Sonic 1 soundtest... and Emerald Hill IS #82 in Sonic 2P's soundtest.

Weird... but I don't quite think there's enough here to amount to anything for sure...
This post has been edited by Rob Jinnai: 25 August 2003 - 12:35 PM

#25 *neoblaze*

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:42 PM

maybe labryinth was supposed to be the name for aquatic ruins, but the genocide city theory could be the aquatic ruins beta name ;) ;) ;)

#26 User is offline shadow111 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:16 PM

neoblaze, on Aug 25 2003, 05:42 PM, said:

maybe labryinth was supposed to be the name for aquatic ruins, but the genocide city theory could be the aquatic ruins beta name ;) ;) ;)

but both ARZ & GCZ were in the level select in the beta <_<

#27 User is offline Neko Kit Su 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:27 PM

• I've never had a title, and I never will!
  • Project:Freelance
  • Wiki edits:10
here's the code =P

ACLA-ACCY

You need to choose Emerald Hill A1 from the level select ^^;;

#28 User is offline Everlast 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the code Neko Kit Su

#29 User is offline Neko Kit Su 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:38 PM

• I've never had a title, and I never will!
  • Project:Freelance
  • Wiki edits:10
Ok, so I finally get it confirmed that was I was thinking was true(in an earlier topic)-- that Labrynith(I FINALLY SPELLED IT RIGHT! YAY! *shot*) was nothing but the Sonic 1 level-thingie...

Why was it left? Ah, who knows. But we can't tell by the music, its like the developers forgetting to change the level up SFX in HPZ in the beta to the CORRECT number instead of the S1 number, because it started to play Death Egg(which had the same number as Sonic 1's level up sound) XP

For my guess, it was an old zone cut VERY VERY early, just left in the game for no reason, or the Zone they were going to put in there was taken out soon before the games release(like HPZ, only a bit earlier, and only to the fact that they removed it ENTIRELY)
This post has been edited by Neko Kit Su: 25 August 2003 - 05:45 PM

#30 User is offline shadow111 

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:42 PM

Neko Kit Su, on Aug 25 2003, 06:38 PM, said:

Ok, so I finally get it confirmed that was I was thinking was true(in an earleir topic)-- that Labrynith(I FINALLY SPELLED IT RIGHT! YAY! *shot*) was nothing but the Sonic 1 level-thingie...

Why was it left? Ah, who knows. But we can't tell by the music, its like the developers forgetting to change the level up SFX in HPZ in the beta to the CORRECT number instead of the S1 number, because it started to play Death Egg(which had the same number as Sonic 1's level up sound) XP

For my guess, it was an old zone cut VERY VERY early, just left in the game for no reason, or the Zone they were going to put in there was taken out soon before the games release(like HPZ, only a bit earlier, and only to the fact that they removed it ENTIRELY)

most probably

• 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users