Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2: Zen Island - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sonic 2: Zen Island An in-progress hack of Sonic 2 SMS

#1 User is offline Yoshister 

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 Zen Island
Posted Image
I've been trying to make a half-decent Sonic 2 SMS since 2015, and I feel like I've made something half decent for once. :p
Sonic 2 Zen Island is a level, palette, and music hack of Sonic 2 for the Sega Master System.

An actual list of changes
-The title screen, level preview, and score tally screens now have black backgrounds instead of dark blue ones.
-Each act now has its own palette (Generally it's a day-to-night cycle over the three acts in a zone).
-The signpost now shows Sonic where Robotnik used to be and vice versa.
-The signpost are now uses black in place of yellow.
-Underground Zone Acts 1-3, Sky High Zone Acts 1-3, Aqua Lake Zone Acts 1 and 3, and Green Hills Zone Act 1 have completely different tile layouts (Some with different level sizes).
-Sonic's sprites have been edited to make him more expressive.
-Loops are glitchy for some reason (Sonic inexplicably goes in the wrong directions while on the loop).
-There's also no hang-gliders, but that's because most object layouts are incomplete.
-Each third act (Sans Scrambled Egg Zone and Crystal Egg Zone) now uses a previously unused song.
-The Level Complete and Boss themes are lower pitched.
-The credits are altered to include the people listed in the "Thanks to following people" section.

To-do list
-Finish object layouts
-Finish tile layouts for GMZ, SEZ, and CEZ.
-Create new music rather than altering the music already in the game.
-Make GHZ the first zone.
-Make UGZ the fourth zone.
-Edit the credits to include the people who helped with this hack that aren't already in them.

Thanks to following people
-Glitch (For making Aspect Edit, the program I used to edit the layouts and palettes, along with taking pictures of the level layouts)
-Mikel (For making this guide on how to add dynamic palettes: http://info.sonicret..._to_Sonic_2_SMS)
-InvisibleUp (For making a post on explaining how to use Aspect Edit: https://forums.sonic...showtopic=32893)
-RavenFreak (For making a list of level sizes and tile off-sets at this page: https://forums.sonic...showtopic=32893)
-MrCat (For making Sonic 2 ReMastered, the hack that rejuvenated my interest in working on this hack)

Download
Download the hack here

Video
https://www.youtube....h?v=EkbWUBuSngc

Updates
1/9/2017
Version 0.15 is out now.
Changes
-ALZ2 now has a unique tile layout. Also, there's a secret short-cut. If you can beat my time of 13 seconds, you'll get some kind of reward (A virtual cookie perhaps?).
-SHZ3's palette has been edited to create an evening sky, rather than the mid-day sky it used to have.
-Two unused monitor arts have been edited. I plan on incorporating them into the new levels once their code is implemented.

1/11/2017
Version 0.2 is out now.
Changes
-GHZ2 now has a unique tile layout.
-GHZ3 now has a unique tile layout.

1/14/2017
Version 0.25 is out now.
Changes
-UGZ1 now has a new tile layout. (The old one needed was kinda bleh tbh.)
-UGZ3's layout has been altered slightly to remove the trial-and-error the original had. Also there's some rings in this act now.

2/6/2017
Version 0.3 is out now.
Changes
-UGZ1's tile layout has been overhauled again. I can't seem to settle on a layout. :p
-UGZ2's tile layout has been slightly altered to make the first lava pit fairer.
-ALZ1's tile layout has been slightly altered to
-Make the Easter egg text easier to read.
-Make two monitors in walls possible to get.
-Make an alternate path possible to get through.
-ALZ2's tile layout has been slightly altered to
-Remove potential softlocks from certain springs and a mandatory pipe exit.
-Make a certain duet of springs give the player a ton of speed.

4/5/2017
Version 0.33 is out now.
Changes
I changed some level layouts and create a new layout for Gimmick Mountain Zone Act 2.
This post has been edited by Yoshister: 05 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

#2 User is offline SonicBurst 

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

• Project:Nothin' right now.
Hey, this looks really good! It's very awesome to see some 8 Bit hacks around. I liked the 8 bit games and in my opinion, they need some attention. Good job on doing this, keep working on it!

#3 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

• Incineroar is the best
  • Project:Dissecting Sonic Labyrinth
  • Wiki edits:112
Sonic's loop motion data is hard coded, so that's why the loops don't work right. For music hacking, since Sonic 2 actually uses a almost identical sound driver that's found in most of the 16-bit games, music hacking won't be too difficult if you know what you're doing. (I however haven't mastered the art of music hacking... xD) It's always nice to see more 8-bit hacks. ^_^ I also like Sonic's sprites too, they look much better than his default sprites from the game.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users