Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SADX Lantern Engine - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

SADX Lantern Engine Dreamcast lighting for SADX PC! (v1.2, 03/27/17)

#46 User is offline Codr 

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

• Project:Sonic on Unreal Engine 4
The transition between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX was not so good in terms of shaders, everything just looked like it was made with plastic. I like this mod since, by the looks of it, it removes some of the plastic shading and makes it looks like the original game! Nice mod! :) :) :)

#47 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:28 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
Triggered a bug with this mod. Or, at least, I think it's a bug with this mod. I finished Tails' story and when it sent me back to the titlescreen, I got to the main menu and hit "Adventure", but my finger slipped and I hit cancel and confirm at the same time in such a way that it still sent me to the character selection menu but I heard the cancel sound play anyway.

The end result is that all lighting became disabled and I had to quit the game and relaunch to make it come back

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The only other thing I can figure is that maybe the lighting state from the end of Tails' story also might have become stuck? Because it looks like he doesn't have lighting here, either

Posted Image

Edit: trying to get the cancel-but-also-confirm thing to happen again and failing after several dozen times, I am inclined to believe maybe it really is related to Tails' lighting mode getting stuck after his story. Unfortunately that's harder to test :v:
This post has been edited by BlazeHedgehog: 08 February 2017 - 04:32 AM

#48 User is offline PkR 

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:18 AM

• Project:SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 08 February 2017 - 04:28 AM, said:

The end result is that all lighting became disabled and I had to quit the game and relaunch to make it come back

I've run into a very similar-looking issue while playing through Amy's story, but I couldn't reproduce it later either. It looks like it occurs when you're playing the game for a long time, e.g. beating the entire story of a character in one go without closing the EXE.

#49 User is online Clownacy 

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds
Same. Thought it was a one-off issue for me. Happened around the same point in my playthough as well (Tails' end).

#50 User is offline Morph 

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
Hm, this isn't the first I've heard of this issue, but it seems to be really difficult to reproduce. If anyone can figure out a consistent way to reproduce it, please let me know. I'll be able to very easily track down the cause that way. Currently I've yet to run into this myself, much like the lightning shield bug.

Edit: I've managed to narrow it down, and it's simple to see why it broke, but might be a bit of a hassle to fix. Pretty much the exact opposite of what I had hoped.
This post has been edited by Morph: 09 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

#51 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
Actually, the trigger for the bug might be fairly simple. It looks like if the game has to, at any point, load that main city area of Station Square during sunset, it breaks the lighting. It just happened again during Amy's story, and it happened directly following that map:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I didn't get a screencap of the character select wheel but I can confirm that yes, the lighting was broken there, too, just like in the earlier image I posted. In both scenarios (after clearing Tails' story and escaping the Egg Carrier as Amy), the lighting became broken seemingly directly following Station Square at sunset.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see that you had edited your post :v:

Edit 2: Also, the "Station Square at Sunset" theory is broken because it doesn't effect Gamma

Posted Image
This post has been edited by BlazeHedgehog: 10 February 2017 - 02:31 AM

#52 User is offline Morph 

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
It seems to happen primarily when the scene switches from the egg carrier to station square (at least in this case). It then promptly tries to load the wrong palette file. Why it doesn't ever correct itself is beyond me, but this info certainly helps.

#53 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:23 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?

View PostMorph, on 10 February 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

It seems to happen primarily when the scene switches from the egg carrier to station square (at least in this case). It then promptly tries to load the wrong palette file. Why it doesn't ever correct itself is beyond me, but this info certainly helps.

Narrowing it down even further: it seems specifically to be because of the FMV sequence of the Egg Carrier exploding. It just happened again in Big's story, and that seems to be the one factor tying it all together.

Maybe there IS no palette file for that sequence and it causes the whole system to barf?
This post has been edited by BlazeHedgehog: 10 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

#54 User is offline Morph 

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
Fixed! It has to do with a vertex normal scalar that SADX assigns values but doesn't actually use. Many objects in Red Mountain 2 use this to display properly, though (for example, the fire skull things), although they appear basically full bright in vanilla SADX since it doesn't use the values. Just as the FMV plays, it sets what is effectively an invalid value. I've now added a threshold for the normal scalar (FLT_EPSILON) to correct the issue. The fix will be available in the next update.

#55 User is offline Morph 

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
For those of you with performance issues that are willing to test the bleeding edge development builds, I'd appreciate it if you could give this build a try: https://ci.appveyor.....1.27/artifacts

This build compiles shaders on the fly for each use case instead of switching effect techniques. On my system it significantly increased performance over the standard technique switching method. It has the potential to cause some stuttering during gameplay if a new shader needs to be compiled, but I plan to mitigate that by pre-compiling the most common use cases. In the Red Mountain example from a bit earlier in the thread, I now get 100% speed in the same scene.

I'd appreciate performance reports!

#56 User is offline ezodagrom 

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

View PostMorph, on 25 February 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

For those of you with performance issues that are willing to test the bleeding edge development builds, I'd appreciate it if you could give this build a try: https://ci.appveyor.....1.27/artifacts

This build compiles shaders on the fly for each use case instead of switching effect techniques. On my system it significantly increased performance over the standard technique switching method. It has the potential to cause some stuttering during gameplay if a new shader needs to be compiled, but I plan to mitigate that by pre-compiling the most common use cases. In the Red Mountain example from a bit earlier in the thread, I now get 100% speed in the same scene.

I'd appreciate performance reports!

If that's the same as the one linked here:
https://ci.appveyor....build/artifacts

Saw the link in the description for update 3 of the dreamcast conversion mod, framerate improved alot on Red Mountain. ^^

#57 User is offline rata 

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
So, there is no chance of this working on a Sempron 3400+, right? I could try to play this game with this nice looking ligthing.

#58 User is offline Morph 

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:45 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
Grab the latest dev build and give it a go. It will probably be playable at least.

#59 User is offline Morph 

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:18 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
Version 1.2 has been released with a number of performance improvements and bug fixes!

• Fixed various character materials (#23, #24).
  • Fixed palette selection for Hedgehog Hammer (#27).
  • Fixed a crash in Sky Deck related to a texture reference count oversight.
  • Fixed lighting breaking after certain FMVs.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when switching between Chao Gardens (#37).
  • Implemented palette texture atlas for improved performance (#33, #38).
  • Implemented dynamic shader recompilation for significantly improved performance (#42).
  • Fixed some PL file selection oversights in the Egg Carrier adventure field (#46).
  • Fixed the Lightning Shield bug (#31).
  • Renamed to Lantern Engine.

For the download and clickable issue/pull request numbers, click here.

In addition to these changes, it has been enabled for automatic updates with the mod manager's new mod update system. You'll get change logs, automatic download and installation all from within the comfort of the mod manager. It never forces updates on you though, but I'll detail that in another post.

• 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users