Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Hacking Contest 2017 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Hacking Contest 2017 Quality not Quantity

#16 User is offline GRUSS 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Most of the entries can run on original hardware?

#17 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Isn't that an award or something? I don't know nor really care.

What point are you trying to make by phrasing your statement like a question.

#18 User is offline GRUSS 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

All I want to do is live stream some of the entries (if there playable via the everdrive on MegaDrive/Genesis)

#19 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Oh. I missed your post before mine. D'oh.

Anyway I don't think most of the entries are hardware-friendly to be honest. Someone else would know better than me though.

#20 User is offline Ralakimus 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

• Self hated
  • Project:Sekrit stuff and Sega Virtua Processor research
Whether or not hacks run on hardware depend on how the hack was shaped up by the hacker.

I know that one common error I see in some hacks on hardware are address errors, due to "odd addressing" (basically, running code starting at odd addresses, accessing word or longwords of memory located at odd addresses, etc.), which the 68000 cannot do, so when a hack does that, it will crash with an address error. Something like that could be caught if the hack were tested on an emulator that actually causes an address error with odd addressing (basically, not Kega Fusion and Gens; Gens applies a mask on addresses to make them even for those instances and Kega just straight up lets those instances happen without a crash), or if the hacker tests it on hardware themselves or gets someone else to do a hardware test for them.

Other issues may not be caught on emulators but on hardware, because of inaccurate emulation and hardware does have bugs that some emulators don't emulate, too.
This post has been edited by Ralakimus: 03 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

#21 User is offline rata 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
There was a video showing that 'ya can play it' most of hacks. Few ones compared to the amount of hacks available. They come fro mthe most experienced hackers if that means something.

#22 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds
I remember when judging last year's entries, that there were a few hardware-incompatible games. I don't think they were the majority, however.

#23 User is offline GRUSS 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:09 PM

I realise this years competition isn't till the end of the year but I'm always doing sega and sonic related streams. If anyone with known compatible hardware roms fancy some air time on YouTube then please let me know.. Honestly it would be a privilege!

#24 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:37 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I can personally guarantee that all of the SADX and SA2 mods run on real PC hardware. :eng101:

#25 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193

View PostGRUSS, on 03 February 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

All I want to do is live stream some of the entries (if there playable via the everdrive on MegaDrive/Genesis)

Anyone is welcome to stream during the contest, even those not included in the Media Panel.

Speaking of the Panel, there will be an announcement coming very shortly concerning that.

#26 User is offline GRUSS 

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:54 AM

View PostSpanner, on 03 February 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Anyone is welcome to stream during the contest, even those not included in the Media Panel.

Speaking of the Panel, there will be an announcement coming very shortly concerning that.

#27 User is offline GRUSS 

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:04 AM

View PostSpanner, on 03 February 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Excellent stuff!

#28 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Posted Image

As part of the 2016 Evaluation Form we asked people for suggestions for the following:
  • People that could be considered for the 2017 Media Panel.
  • Websites that could be approached for promoting the Hacking Contest.

Rather than close off the suggestions from them, we're opening the suggestion box back up again. If you have anything you would like to recommend, please do so. If you have already suggested them in the 2016 Evaluation Form, we've already got them and are looking into them with announcements to follow over the next few months regarding who we are lining up this year's Media Panel with.

If you didn't get a chance to fill out the Evaluation Form, this is your shot at suggesting things. If you filled out the form last year but have new suggestions, feel free to put them in this time. After all, we have overlooked many talented people in the past simply for not knowing about them! This is an event for the community by the community, and we really do mean that.

We will take a look at all suggestions and those that are found suitable will be contacted however we cannot guarantee that all contacted people will be available to take part, so don't be disappointed if they don't make the final list. We can't force people to take part, if they have something else going on or they aren't responding to our invitation, then they won't be around this year.

You may notice that we are asking whether or not your suggestions that you give are English-language users. We are asking this as we are trying to broaden our availability to as many people as possible by having Hacking Contest coverage in as many languages as possible, as not everyone speaks that one language. After all, there are hacking communities out there that use Russian and other languages that aren't in English. We should be welcoming them to the event rather than leaving them in the dark.

You are welcome to let your suggestions be known that we are looking, but please don't harass them over and over with YouTube comments, tweets etc demanding they should be a part of the contest, otherwise they'll definitely be doing something else during that week! At the end of the day, we will get who we can get, and we will make a great event out of it!

#29 User is offline DannyBoi 

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

• Project:Sonic the hedgehog in Unity
I guess I'll enter considering I think I know one of the judges. Entering a competition older than myself feels weird.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users