Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Hacking Contest 2016: THE RESULTS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Hacking Contest 2016: THE RESULTS We're all glad this is over...until 2017.

#16 User is online Clownacy 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds
Wow, you know, when I saw the words 'This is a joke', I thought he was talking about his post.

#17 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:24 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^
  • Project:Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
  • Wiki edits:67
All trophy winners please contact me (NOT Spanner) for your prize!! It was not very well conveyed that there REALLY, REALLY ARE PRIZES THIS YEAR!!! It's not just a plant! I have around 62 keys for Steam games to give away. Some highlights are "South Park and the Stick of Truth", "Civilisation V", "Mafia 2", and "Wastelands 2". I also have indie games that are less processor hungry and should run on any Windows PC. Here is the prize link:

http://tinyurl.com/ju5t2hl

Rules & Conditions: I will need to get prizes handed out to HPZ, WZ, and DHZ winners before I can promise games to the rest of the trophy winners!! If you won more than one trophy, you do not get more than one prize. If you have multiple people in your team, then each team member will need to contact me. I will also need to verify that you are in that team. This is for major contributions only. If you only contributed "one song" or "beta tested" the game, you don't get a prize. Sorry! Prizes are available for winners picked by judges, medial panel (newtrogic high trophy), and community. If you do not want a prize, do not contact me. It's that simple. Prizes are able to be claimed until 21.12.2016 (Yule Day) as 2017 contest rules are expected to be posted the week following Yule. Remaining prizes will be added to next year's prize collection. New prizes to replace the claimed ones will be purchased for next year.

#18 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46

View PostKnucklez, on 13 November 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Wow... Is that how you get a Hidden Palace trophy? You set Sonic 1 on fire and add new bosses and... WALLAH! The entries pissed me off this year too but were you guys THAT pissed off that you wanted to see Sonic 1 burn so you'd award top prize to whoever did it?

Either you didn't play the hack, didn't see it, or lack any sense of taste in quality; the hack was far beyond "Sonic 1 on fire and add new bosses." Even that is an understatement. The level of quality the hack had from the actual palette changes to fully showcase the fiery conditions, the level effects that showcase the heat, the minibosses, the Sonic 1 SMS Bonus Stages, ect; they were well beyond what we've seen in most hacks today, much less this contest. The hack was polished, played well, used the gimmicks that already existed and added a twist to them, ect. I want to elaborate that this hack was fun to play, which is the most important. The other hacks were fun, but not as much. Sonic 2 ReMastered was pretty close in my opinion, but I felt the level layouts weren't good enough.

I'm not trying to take away from Painto's work but this was not top tier material.

Sure, it wasn't MarkeyJester's "The Next Level", but to knock it as some mediocre wankjob of a hack is very much knocking on someone's hack. You clearly don't understand quality and have a fairly shit taste on what is good and what isn't. Looks at opinion of Into the Void, remembers you liked it, laughing at your shitty opinion.

Even 2nd/3rd place deserved to be bumped up in trophies. I guess even the judging this year was shit too because one hack I won't bother mentioning that was deserving of a trophy only got an honorable mention.

You know, every time I see you post, it reminds of how much of a dumb fucking cunt you are. From the first time I dealt with you back in the Sonic 1 : Into the Void Thread where I joined up with Clownacy to put you down because of how full of shit you are, and now where you not only insult my intelligence, but the reputation, intelligence, and judgement of my peers.

We don't want our judgements to be looked as the law of the Holy Tweakallah, thus nobody can disagree. However, the community seems to agree with us on most of the trophies. Also, instead of trying to sound edgy and trying to bait people, say what the hack is, otherwise you're just butthurt like TSR was about Cybernetic Outbreak not winning the HPZ last year.

This is a joke.

I assume the post, your life, your sex life, or your Mother is what you're referring to as a joke. If it was about the contest, then you can fuck off.
This post has been edited by Super Egg: 14 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

#19 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^
  • Project:Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
  • Wiki edits:67

View PostKnucklez, on 13 November 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Wow... Is that how you get a Hidden Palace trophy? You set Sonic 1 on fire and add new bosses and... WALLAH! The entries pissed me off this year too but were you guys THAT pissed off that you wanted to see Sonic 1 burn so you'd award top prize to whoever did it? I'm not trying to take away from Painto's work but this was not top tier material. Even 2nd/3rd place deserved to be bumped up in trophies. I guess even the judging this year was shit too because one hack I won't bother rementioning that was deserving of a trophy only got an honorable mention. This is a joke.

Just curious, but if your name is Knucklez and this was a joke...

...did you chuckle?

Just wondering.

So yeah. I'd say I'm sorry that you didn't like the results, but I'm not. Contests are all opinion-based anyway -- except, unlike your opinion, our opinion (and the opinion of the community AS A WHOLE) actually matters.
This post has been edited by Ayla: 14 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

#20 User is offline RandomIP 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

I know I'm not much of a voice as a Trial member, who's been a Trial member for years now lol. But I figured I would voice my opinion anyway.

I watched SomeCallMeJohnny's showcases, and truthfully, I found myself skipping through so much of the videos. A lot of the submissions were.... boring. Graphics weren't as good as they could have been, and that's only one example. I believe so many of the entries had potential but just missed the mark by either a small or wide margin. I can tell a lot of people worked hard, and I totally agree with all of the trophies! But man, I could never agree more with the OP of this thread. I'm no hacker, not at all. But I saw a ton of promise. I can see a lot of these entries going from average to great next year, if the creators choose to submit them again.

I'm very happy for Team Painto, as Scorched Quest is fantastic. Thank You for all of the hard work, everybody. I know that next year can and will be even better.
This post has been edited by RandomIP: 14 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

#21 User is offline LazloPsylus 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

• Buried under SSRG Somewhere
  • Project:SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
  • Wiki edits:16
Alright, we're already starting to read the evaluations, and we're getting a lot of really good info from them. Keep it rolling, people. I know some people were let down by the attitude of the contest, and honestly, we were too as judges. We need your help to figure out how to tackle next year better so that we can avoid the shitty parts of this year. I also want to come out and say that we're not out to bully anyone, and we want people to enter. That being said, we expect some common decency and care and effort put into entries to be exhibited in the entries. Why? Because we, as judges, are sacrificing many hours of our time organizing and running the contest and judging each and every entry as best we can, so when we're thrown hacks that we all look at and feel have no care or effort in them whatsoever, it really upsets us. The fact that we had enough to actually see a need to bring back the fucking Big trophy *and* had a sizable list of (dis)honorable mentions for it? That should get across the point of how outright disgusted we were with a number of entries. For a decent number of them, we've seen things they've put out in the past, and we know, without a doubt, that they can do much better than what they gave us, and that really cuts into us personally. Have some decent fucking respect for yourselves, people. When we have entries that make the judging staff physically unsettled while judging, there's a serious fucking problem, and we had *multiple* instances of that this year.

Look, I'm sorry we weren't positive snowflakes, but we're human and have feelings like the rest of you, and holy hell, did you make most all of us feel like mockeries that were wasting our time for people that couldn't give any less of a shit. All we want is some decent common courtesy and care put into everyone's work, because this is supposed to showcase people at their best. Is that really much to ask that people care about trying to make the event better?

And as for the unnamed person that called the judges bigots, I'm quite positive the word doesn't mean what you think it does. Perfect proof is that we're actually running these evaluations and going over the results as they're rolling in to discuss and plan changes. Take your dense fuckery and shove it somewhere else.
This post has been edited by LazloPsylus: 14 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

#22 User is offline Ralakimus 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

I think you may want to fix the text color there.

EDIT: There ya go.
This post has been edited by Ralakimus: 14 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

#23 User is offline Knucklez 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

It wasn't my cup of tea Super Egg, and maybe I should have started and ended at that. However, I am well aware of how harsh I am when I'm being negative but I've always been far more constructive and respectful towards others' works than some of you would like to realize because ANY time ANYONE dares bash a hack or even an official Sega work you go off in a tirade. But I'm the fucking cunt because I worded something in a condescending way to criticize someone else's work. It's ok to praise on here, whether it be gold or garbage, but god forbid you bash anything, because unless most collectively share the same negative sentiment, it's an unforgivable offense that shakes your very core. That's ok, I'll just blow off steam to myself if anything bothers me and I'll make sure from now on to just say "Good Job!" to everyone whether they really deserve it or not, just to appease people like you. And I didn't call any judges bigots nor anyone anything vulgar, which seems to be quite alright when others do it to me. You people are fans, we are fans, not a cult that shuns out anyone who disagrees with anything to further our own agenda. I wasn't happy with this year's contest. Is that wrong? No. Was I entirely just in what I said? No. But that doesn't mean I can't voice an opinion any more than you whether you agree with me or not.

#24 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
We've had a great amount of feedback already from the Evaluation Form. Many responses are generally saying the same thing, which is good as it means that many have the same idea with where they want the direction of the Hacking Contest to go, but many have also submitted their own different responses which are very good.

If you haven't already evaluated the Contest, please do so when you have some free time. We will be closing the evaluation form at the end of Sunday 20th November and once we have implemented all the changes that we all want to make for the Contest, we hope to announce the 2017 Hacking Contest by December to give everyone plenty of notice - that being said if you have anything in mind you want to submit, you may as well start working on it now.

#25 User is offline ashthedragon 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:27 AM

• Dragon Team
  • Project:Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
Sonic 2 reMastered was such a pleasant surprise, I wish there was more 8 bits hacks out there!
Congratulations to Scorched Quest, really good game.

#26 User is online Clownacy 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:49 AM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds

View PostKnucklez, on 14 November 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

It wasn't my cup of tea Super Egg, and maybe I should have started and ended at that. However, I am well aware of how harsh I am when I'm being negative but I've always been far more constructive and respectful towards others' works than some of you would like to realize because ANY time ANYONE dares bash a hack or even an official Sega work you go off in a tirade. But I'm the fucking cunt because I worded something in a condescending way to criticize someone else's work. It's ok to praise on here, whether it be gold or garbage, but god forbid you bash anything, because unless most collectively share the same negative sentiment, it's an unforgivable offense that shakes your very core. That's ok, I'll just blow off steam to myself if anything bothers me and I'll make sure from now on to just say "Good Job!" to everyone whether they really deserve it or not, just to appease people like you. And I didn't call any judges bigots nor anyone anything vulgar, which seems to be quite alright when others do it to me. You people are fans, we are fans, not a cult that shuns out anyone who disagrees with anything to further our own agenda. I wasn't happy with this year's contest. Is that wrong? No. Was I entirely just in what I said? No. But that doesn't mean I can't voice an opinion any more than you whether you agree with me or not.

No, no, I'm all for bashing stuff that deserves it (cough Into The Void cough): you should have seen my hack evaluation forms from this year. Point is, you didn't just discredit the hack that won, you insulted the people behind the event, making-up a laughable reason for us voting the way we did. Should I start saying you wrote your post the way you did because you were abused as a kid? No, that'd be an asshole thing to do. Maybe instead of just flinging shit, you could justify why you thought X shouldn't have won, and why Y should have. Us "shit" judges had to.

#27 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

View Postashthedragon, on 15 November 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

Sonic 2 reMastered was such a pleasant surprise, I wish there was more 8 bits hacks out there!

Hopefully there will be more next year...we'll certainly have a trophy for one.
This post has been edited by Spanner: 15 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

#28 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46
Initially, I was going to just agree with Clowny's post, however, I couldn't help myself.

View PostKnucklez, on 14 November 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

You say that, yet your words defy you.

View PostKnucklez, on 15 May 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Well, that's some immature shit right there. The guy does his best to make a hack and you want to start nitpicking and criticizing as if he was Sonic Team or something.

Trust me I have plenty of creative ideas for hacks and would love to make a hack more than anything, but I have ZERO knowledge of how to even hack.

So don't criticize this guy when he's just trying to learn and do something you yourself haven't got a clue on how to do. Everyone has their own style and their own method of doing things. Unless he was a professional making amateur decisions or mistakes, you need to shut your mouth Clownacy.

People on here need to respect the effort being put forth when obviously no one else on here has even bothered to release any hacks since the last contest.

Oh, and my response to that noise was this...

Knucklez, what? Is criticizing not the point of posting? You can't hold people's hands. If something is bad, don't beat around the bush, tell it like it is. If it sucks, say it straight. "It sucks." After that though, you explain why and how it could be made better. Where is the issue with that? Why is it you people are so afraid to not be a bunch of pussies and say what it is? He is a beginner, so what? It's best to hurt his feelings now and set him straight, than to let him continuing to make mistakes and when it all comes to it at the end, his stuff is mediocre and nobody will like it. I swear, it's like you people live in this fantasy world where everything has to be perfect.

It seems your having a revisionists history lesson, because the role you say you played is quite the opposite, as so is mine.

Now to the point, I do not mind criticism, I survive off of it. However, there is a difference between giving criticism, and acting like a self-important asshole, which in your original post, you showcased it pretty well. Your new post shows some insight, however, you make the impression that we have no idea what we are doing and that we, the judges, are just easily butthurt asshats. Sad to say, that is not the case and the fact of the matter, we put the hours of work reviewing every entry meticulously. We spent almost 4 hours in just one private call trying to get our final picks together, and that was after weeks of back in forth of what deserves what. These trophies winners were not cut and dry as you proclaim them to be, well except Big the Cat Trophy, we all universally agreed that whatever Royameadow baked shit was delivered to us that it was....well shit.

tl;dr: Good job at trying to play the "objectively correct" character, but no sale. Sorry. I would like to add that the bigot comment in Lazzie's post wasn't about you in the slightest. We've been reading a few of the evaluations, and one struck out to us in particular, calling us "biased" and "bigots." The hilarity ensued.

edit: Seriously Retro staff? The word "c.uck" is now banned. Fuck off you cunts. We're adults who can use whatever words. Fucking hell.
This post has been edited by Super Egg: 15 November 2016 - 09:06 AM

#29 User is offline Knucklez 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

Well, I'll say it's been 2.5 years since that exchange and I was merely defending a newbie that Clownacy went off on for his rookie mistakes and oversights regarding his hack because it seemed more like he was being treated like a veteran hacker making such mistakes, in which case would essentially justify such criticism. I by no means cared for Into the Void. I just felt I needed to step in at the time. My mentality and views have changed in the time since as well.

Now regarding what I said about the judging, I apologize for being a prick about it and not elaborating why I felt that way instead of just making a bold statement and walking off.

From a technical standpoint, Scorched Quest accomplished feats I don't think we've ever seen before or at least to this extent, such as the way cutscenes and bosses were implemented to this degree.

Aesthetically speaking, it didn't appeal to me at all as it looks like a Sonic 1 clone set on fire like I've already said and is obviously the case. I know the layouts are fresh and original but they're still the same zones and look too much alike in color, which I know is the hack's intended overall theme here but it just doesn't appeal to me visually. I mean it's something new to set the entire game ablaze but the theme goes as far back as S3 with AIZ getting scorched. Inspiration may have been drawn from that, who knows.

Gameplay is just ok. It's Sonic 1. The layouts and badnik bosses were ok. The Eggman bosses were new and fun with the added difficulty but could seem repetitive and prolonged in their attack pattern. They were my favorite aspect of the hack though. The special stages, although new, were too slow-paced and lengthy.

That's how I see it, but each to their own I guess. I'm just relieved that most of us felt there were too many bullshit hacks submitted this year, with some like Blue Knuckles and White Sonic seeming like intentional gags to waste our time. I'm all for reforming the submission criteria so go right on ahead and do so.

#30 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

View PostKnucklez, on 15 November 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm just relieved that most of us felt there were too many bullshit hacks submitted this year, with some like Blue Knuckles and White Sonic seeming like intentional gags to waste our time. I'm all for reforming the submission criteria so go right on ahead and do so.

Oh don't worry, it WILL be happening, the people demand it and so do the judges. Many radical changes will be made for the 2017 contest to make it enjoyable by all.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users