Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 4 in 1 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sonic 4 in 1 Not to be confused with "Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1"

#1 User is offline Natsumi 

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

• Miss Fox
  • Project:Being with my boyfriend
Hello! Time for a late-release of just another hack. So whats it this time? Why, it is;
Sonic 4 in 1!
Posted Image

I am guessing, many of you would remember Vladikcomper's awesome hack Sonic 3 in 1? I used to think it was something really cool, but it kind of lacked something... Another game maybe? Oh yes, it would have to be Sonic & Knuckles! It's really shame since I've not played that game too much, so it definitely felt like a big piece missing. So I had a thought, would it actually be possible to fit all the games in. As an added challenge, and because there still is not a completed Sonic 3 disassembly around, I could not exactly do a lot to it. I thought I'd rather try my best to modify the games as little as possible (With few exceptions) and make the games still co-operate in a single ROM. If you want to read more boring backstory, open the spoiler here:
Spoiler

So, I have decided to submit this hack as open source. Although the download version is different from what the source offers, you may understand why I can not distribute Sonic Retro splash screen code, SSRG splash screen code, few things done to me by people who are yet not willing to release their work onto public, and may want to keep it secretive (hi Vladikcomper =P). I also do not want to spoil the secrets right away; I will want you to find the secret codes yourself by any means you deem necessary. So! Without further ado, have teh download linkz!

DOWNLOAD HACK DOWNLOAD SOURCE

There's a few problems with running hacks like this; This uses some features of the Mega Drive that are pretty much nonstandard, so not all emulators or hardware will support it. I've made a list of things that I know that will be able to work with this:
  • Mega EverDrive (hw) - Full support
  • EverDrive MD (hw) - Full support (Seems like on older models it may not work)
  • Carts with no mappers - No support
  • Fusion 3.64 - Partial support
  • Regen - Works only if LargeROMSpace is set to 1.
  • Gens re-recording - No support
  • BizHawk - SRAM saving does not work (Issue #695), and has randomizer issues
  • Genesis Plus GX - May or may not work, tests done earlier seem to disagree with tests done later. Needs further testing.

Some unfortunate bugs also exist due to the way this works. Namely, color artifacts onscreen, that would have been previously hidden. Notably happens in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, but may occur on other games abnormally too.

Aaand... *drumroll* Here's the credits (aka who made this even possible in the first place);
  • Natsumi - Menu program, skeleton, game fixes, variable width font, custom Sonic Retro scripts & compatibility
  • flamewing - gen_scalers (horizontal software scaler program)
  • GF ThePlayer - Main artist
  • VAdaPEGA - Helping artist (Sonic 1, Sonic 2)
  • ValleyBell - Sound driver disassembly
  • Vladikcomper - Music, SSRG splash screen
  • Marc - Music, Sonic Retro splash screen
  • MarkeyJester - Animation and misc help
  • djohe - Testing
  • RedHotSonic - Testing (And debugging (tons of it! Thanks man))

This post has been edited by Natsumi: 09 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

#2 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
At first I thought you only got Sonic 1, 2, 3, and S&K on a single ROM and was intrigued, but then I noticed you got all the Sonic & Knuckles variations in there too! All in one ROM hack! Very impressive!

#3 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:55 AM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
Wow, nice menus. Liking the graphics. Wonder what the secrets are now :)

How long before this is pirated all over Brazil?

#4 User is offline Dr. Mecha 

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:51 AM

• Project:3d Models
Did you just pulled off a Sonic Jam for the Genesis/MegaDrive without the Sonic World and its contents? Because that's what it look like to me.
This post has been edited by Dr. Mecha: 02 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users