Sonic 4 in 1!
I am guessing, many of you would remember Vladikcomper's awesome hack Sonic 3 in 1? I used to think it was something really cool, but it kind of lacked something... Another game maybe? Oh yes, it would have to be Sonic & Knuckles! It's really shame since I've not played that game too much, so it definitely felt like a big piece missing. So I had a thought, would it actually be possible to fit all the games in. As an added challenge, and because there still is not a completed Sonic 3 disassembly around, I could not exactly do a lot to it. I thought I'd rather try my best to modify the games as little as possible (With few exceptions) and make the games still co-operate in a single ROM. If you want to read more boring backstory, open the spoiler here:
So, I have decided to submit this hack as open source. Although the download version is different from what the source offers, you may understand why I can not distribute Sonic Retro splash screen code, SSRG splash screen code, few things done to me by people who are yet not willing to release their work onto public, and may want to keep it secretive (hi Vladikcomper =P). I also do not want to spoil the secrets right away; I will want you to find the secret codes yourself by any means you deem necessary. So! Without further ado, have teh download linkz!
DOWNLOAD HACK DOWNLOAD SOURCE
There's a few problems with running hacks like this; This uses some features of the Mega Drive that are pretty much nonstandard, so not all emulators or hardware will support it. I've made a list of things that I know that will be able to work with this:
- Mega EverDrive (hw) - Full support
- EverDrive MD (hw) - Full support (Seems like on older models it may not work)
- Carts with no mappers - No support
- Fusion 3.64 - Partial support
- Regen - Does not support enough banks (aka shit emulation)
- Gens re-recording - No support
- BizHawk - SRAM saving does not work (Issue #695), and has randomizer issues
- Genesis Plus GX - May or may not work, tests done earlier seem to disagree with tests done later. Needs further testing.
Some unfortunate bugs also exist due to the way this works. Namely, color artifacts onscreen, that would have been previously hidden. Notably happens in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, but may occur on other games abnormally too.
Aaand... *drumroll* Here's the credits (aka who made this even possible in the first place);
- Natsumi - Menu program, skeleton, game fixes, variable width font, custom Sonic Retro scripts & compatibility
- flamewing - gen_scalers (horizontal software scaler program)
- GF ThePlayer - Main artist
- VAdaPEGA - Helping artist (Sonic 1, Sonic 2)
- ValleyBell - Sound driver disassembly
- Vladikcomper - Music, SSRG splash screen
- Marc - Music, Sonic Retro splash screen
- MarkeyJester - Animation and misc help
- djohe - Testing
- RedHotSonic - Testing (And debugging (tons of it! Thanks man))