Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Daytona 3 Championship USA - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Daytona 3 Championship USA Yup

#31 User is online rata 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
I don't think it looks ugly, it looks good for an arcade.

#32 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

It's not trying to be groundbreaking or state of the art like the previous two were in their days, but it looks colourful and fun and Sega and that's good enough for me.

Alo this is in Beta form right now, so while I don't expect a major overhaul by launch I hope to at least see Sonic chiseled back into that mountain side. :P

#33 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:51 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
No it's definitely a bland looking game in comparison to something like Daytona USA 2. Which was released in 1998. 18 years ago.

But Sega Amusements do have form on this - you can feel it in games like Sega Rally 3 and the Daytona USA sans Daytona from a couple of years ago. Smaller firms going for niche markets is a far cry from the Namco/Sega prime time 3D polygon innovation explosion hour.

Warning signs were when classic tracks were being advertised as a feature. NEW TO DAYTONA 3: DAYTONA 1
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 15 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

#34 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

Yeah it's definitely not as full of little details like 2 had, looks almost like a remake of the first one in spots, but could certainly do with some extra polish. Nice to see the 'Virtua Inn' is back with additional details in one shot, heh.

This is attempt no.2 to get Dayona back in arcade again as the original cabinets are finally starting to dry up (though I still know a couple places that have it). Sega Racing Classic simply didn't add enough to intrice arcade owners to upgrade, whereas this looks like a remake + some extra stuff.

Still looking forward to seeing more either way.

#35 User is offline Baron Von Jiggly 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:56 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=CDH4kqp4aPw

Some more footage :D loud Takenobu warning.

#36 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

Arcade heroes have put out some extended gameplay footage (still offscreen of course). Looks like the physics engine/how it plays is very much identical to the original game.

#37 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
I was going to say that track looked bland until I realised it was the official Daytona one (i.e. it's based on a real (bland) place).

Frankly it looks a bit half finished - tracks are empty and there are visible frame rate drops too. It lacks the grace of the 90s Arcade Racer.

#38 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:06 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"
  • Wiki edits:10
Er... that's not Daytona National Speedway. That's very clearly just Three-Seven Speedway with a different coat of paint. Daytona's much more symmetrical than that.

This sort of makes it confusing as to why Three-Seven Speedway is even in this game, right next to it as a separate track, when the track layout is exactly the same. Look at the maps for each on the track selection, they're nigh-identical.
This post has been edited by Shadow Hog: 16 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

#39 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 16 November 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Frankly it looks a bit half finished - tracks are empty and there are visible frame rate drops too. It lacks the grace of the 90s Arcade Racer.

It is half finished, assuming adding in the last two tracks are not all they are going to do between now and its release in April. Even the cabinet design is not quite complete yet apparently.

I hope 90's Arcade racer actually comes out one day haha.

#40 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

• WRONG PLAY BAD BOYZ KICK YOUR ASS
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostShadow Hog, on 16 November 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

Er... that's not Daytona National Speedway. That's very clearly just Three-Seven Speedway with a different coat of paint. Daytona's much more symmetrical than that.

This sort of makes it confusing as to why Three-Seven Speedway is even in this game, right next to it as a separate track, when the track layout is exactly the same. Look at the maps for each on the track selection, they're nigh-identical.

Not to mention real life Daytona is a large 2.5 mile tri-oval and would take well over 40 seconds to complete a lap.

#41 User is offline mentski 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Just some Youtube dingus.

View PostShadow Hog, on 16 November 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

It just adds credence to my theory that Daytona have probably asked Sega to make the game "more like real NASCAR" - Because we all know: The reason anyone plays Daytona is because it's just like real NASCAR.

I really need to stop being cynical. This could be everything we've wanted for years, but lets face it - The longer you wait for something, the more likely you'll be disappointed once it comes. Nothing ever lives up to years of dreamy anticipation.

#42 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Honestly I'm surprised Daytona haven't asked Sega to make this one more realistic and modern, in particular the music which they (I assume) attempted to brush under he rug for being too cheesy with the western version of Daytona 2. Also the Hornet car returning instead of being replaced with some licensed cars and/or drivers is an interesting surprise. It's still campy and colourful enough for me, personally, though yeah I would have liked to have seen more 'new' and less direct-remake to it. I'm going to be off to EAG International in London in January so I'm hoping they'll have a closer to final build of the game there to play.

Newer but familiar graphics and half new and half old tracks: call it Daytona Mania :P
This post has been edited by GagaMan: 16 November 2016 - 05:20 PM

#43 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postmentski, on 16 November 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

It just adds credence to my theory that Daytona have probably asked Sega to make the game "more like real NASCAR" - Because we all know: The reason anyone plays Daytona is because it's just like real NASCAR.
But if that were the case, they'd probably push for the speedway to at least have the correct shape, surely? Y'know, a rounded pentagon, instead of a rounded triangle. Probably not take a full 40 seconds to go around (or if it did, it'd only be like 4-5 laps, max), but the idea'd be about the same. It'd also make the inclusion of Three-Seven Speedway more meaningful.

#44 User is offline Caniad Bach 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:12 AM

• is a peanut
New Daytona sounds great to me! I agree that it currently looks a bit lacking, but the game is a long way off, and is clearly in beta so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. From the first impressions it sounds like they've been mainly concerned about getting the feel of the driving and racing right, so they can presumably now spend a reasonable amount of time polishing up the aesthetics. Even the music sounds like an early demo at the moment.

If this ever gets a home release, I can't wait for it to be pulled from everywhere 2 years later when SEGA loses the licence.

#45 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

• つづく
  • Project:Diva
  • Wiki edits:6
I hope my local D&B gets this.

• 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users