Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The New Mega Drive by Tectoy - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

The New Mega Drive by Tectoy (Not an emulator!)

#16 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World

View PostICEknight, on 31 October 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

So it's the usual crap but with a beautiful exterior.

Ditto

#17 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:56 PM

• Project:Platformer for the NES
Sounds pretty crappy to me. There's nothing here that I can't already get (in better form even) from the MD/Genesis consoles I already own.

The sad part is that they'll probably end up blaming the failure of this product on the Mega Drive brand, not the crappy hardware they're using. People have been asking for cartridge slots on Tec Toy consoles for years, and now they did the bare minimum to provide that, neglecting all the other aspects of a proper MD/Genesis experience.

#18 User is online Flygon 

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:46 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostAerosol, on 31 October 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

View Postflamewing, on 31 October 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Doing that properly would require decapping several chips; notably, the 68k, VDP and I/O chip, at least (YM2612, Z80 and PSG are already decapped, I believe).

I'd pitch in on a fundraiser.

I'm 100% dead serious.

Ditto this. Anyone reputable able to make good on producing a 'perfect' clone of a Mega Drive console, but with digital outputs from both the sound and video, and I'm definitely pitching in.

#19 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

• 35% Cognac
  • Project:Project: Matter/Energy
  • Wiki edits:94
That's a lot of "No" for $125 worth of remanufactured Genesis.

#20 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:32 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
This thing started trending on FB today, Jeez the casuals are eating this second coming of SEGA Genesis up like candy boy are they in for a shock.

So, whos going to be the lucky unfortunate one to buy this to add to the SEGA wiki? :v:

#21 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:13 PM

• Incineroar is the best
  • Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
If you think that's bad, I keep seeing people talking about the shitty Atgames clones still over at Facebook. And those have been around for years, like the Tectoy ones but living in the US most people wouldn't know about the other Tectoy models unless they were into Sega or video games as much as we are here on Retro. This unit is way too overpriced for what comes in the box. Tectoy has produced better clones of the Mega Drive than Atgames did, but they're still shit. I keep telling people just to buy a Mega Drive, and invest in a flash cart from Aliexpress. It'll be around the same price as one of these Tectoy units, or may be even cheaper if they're lucky enough to find a Mega Drive for cheap at a garage sale or local buy,sell,trade group. And that way they can play whatever game they like, including homebrew titles and hacks. Not to mention that they can play Master System games as well, so it opens up a completely new library of games for people to play.

#22 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostLanzer, on 07 November 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

This thing started trending on FB today, Jeez the casuals are eating this second coming of SEGA Genesis up like candy boy are they in for a shock.

So, whos going to be the lucky unfortunate one to buy this to add to the SEGA wiki? :v:/>

Not gonna lie, I may well pick one of these up eventually. I'm not spending over a hundred quid to do so, mind.

#23 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

• Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66

View PostFlygon, on 31 October 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

I'm intrigued. It's a shame there appears to be no Expansion Port, but I'll be pleased if Power Base Converter functionality, along with other quirks of the cart slot are correctly implemented.
And there's no expansion support. They confirmed it. So no 32X, no Sega CD, no everything and probably no Virtua Racing.

View PostShadow Hog, on 31 October 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Bet you it has egregious audio problems like the other Genesis SoaCs..
Knowing Tec Toy as I know, there's a large possibility of this to happen. But the difference is that this time they produced the chips while their previous consoles (except the first ones distributed in the 90's) had emulated the gaming experience.

#24 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

• Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22

They confirmed it. So no 32X, no Sega CD, no everything and probably no Virtua Racing.

It's in the FAQ, no Virtua Racing.

But the notable thing this time is that they actually improved things from the ATGames clones. The thing we need to know is: by how much.

#25 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
It's not the AtGames products you want to compare it to - it's Tectoy's less-new Mega Drive revisions from the mid-to-late 2000s. The white ones with a bazillion built-in games, which amazingly still had cartridge slots.

#26 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:56 PM

• Project:Sonic R hacking
I feel like they're trying to ride of the success of the NES Mini. That thing's really hyped up right now for some reason.

#27 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:25 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 08 November 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

It's not the AtGames products you want to compare it to - it's Tectoy's less-new Mega Drive revisions from the mid-to-late 2000s. The white ones with a bazillion built-in games, which amazingly still had cartridge slots.

Did those support Virtua Racing or Sonic & Knuckles?

#28 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
The real thing that concerns me here, is the hardware specification list:

View PostMaster Emerald, on 31 October 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

Processors (integrated in a single chip):
MC68000 - 7,16MHz
Z80 - 3,58MHz

Integrated Memory
RAM (System): 64K bytes
RAM (Sound): 8K bytes
RAM (Video): 64K bytes
Video Resolution (SEGA Original) 256 x 224
512 Color Palette
64 simulatenous colors (15 per 8x8 Sprite)

Audio:
6 AM-FM modulation channels
2 PSG channels (each with 3 squarewave + pink noise)
1 8-bit analog channel

14) What is the video output resolution of the new Mega Drive?

The resolution is the same as the original, ie, 320x240 pixels

18) Many emulated solutions have trouble to accurately reproduce the sounds of the original Mega Drive. How will this new console reproduce the audio from the original console?

The Mega Drive plays the audio through similar components, so the result will not be 100% the same as the original.

Notably there are two resolutions mentioned here, the main list suggests 256x224, yet the Q&A answered 320x240. The system should be able to handle either one of the two horizontal resolutions, and either one of the vertical resolutions, and both separately, some games may switch between each possible four. This difference in vertical resolution may make a difference, though I'm not entirely sure that many games (if any) used the vertical resolution of 240, most of them used 224 to allow them to be played on 60hz TVs. Do Brazilian TVs run at 50hz & 60hz?

The audio also has me intrigued, it says there are 2 PSG channels (each with 3 squarewave + pink noise), does this mean there's no periodic noise? And does this also mean that what we'll have in total here are 6 squarewaves and 2 pink noise? Does the pink noise have its own variable frequency including the 3 stock/clock frequencies? Does it share a variable frequency with another channel? Furthermore, the 1 8-bit analogue channel is written separately in that list, does this mean that it's going to be a completely separate component altogether? And if so, wouldn't this likely mean that all 6 FM channels can playback in conjunction with the analogue channel?

So, if they do it wrong enough, what we'll have are, 6 FM channels, 6 PSG squarewave channels, 2 pink noise channels, and a DAC channel, all running at the same time. While current games on the system may run as expected unbeknown to the player, anyone creating a ROM for this system may be able to abuse these inaccuracies for some interesting results.

#29 User is online Flygon 

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
It's also entirely possible that marketing just doesn't know what it's talking about.

#30 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:23 AM

• Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22

Notably there are two resolutions mentioned here, the main list suggests 256x224, yet the Q&A answered 320x240. The system should be able to handle either one of the two horizontal resolutions, and either one of the vertical resolutions, and both separately, some games may switch between each possible four. This difference in vertical resolution may make a difference, though I'm not entirely sure that many games (if any) used the vertical resolution of 240, most of them used 224 to allow them to be played on 60hz TVs. Do Brazilian TVs run at 50hz & 60hz?

Pal-M is almost like NTSC so I bet the just threw the technical specs on that page they had without thinking. Probably the unit will run at 60Hz with the 256x224 resolution.

The audio also has me intrigued, it says there are 2 PSG channels (each with 3 squarewave + pink noise), does this mean there's no periodic noise? And does this also mean that what we'll have in total here are 6 squarewaves and 2 pink noise? Does the pink noise have its own variable frequency including the 3 stock/clock frequencies? Does it share a variable frequency with another channel? Furthermore, the 1 8-bit analogue channel is written separately in that list, does this mean that it's going to be a completely separate component altogether? And if so, wouldn't this likely mean that all 6 FM channels can playback in conjunction with the analogue channel?

Actually it says 'white noise' on that site, dunno if was my fault when translating or if they changed the specs. I already corrected that. And nah, that means that you can play any of the 4 PSG channels on the L or R channels, it was probably translated to portuguese by someone who didn't know what these data meant.

So what they actually meant (IMO): 6FM channels, 4 stereo PSG channels (3 square+ 1 white noise) + a DAC channel. And I also bet if you use the DAC channel the 6th FM will be disabled/converted into the DAC somehow.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users