Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The House Of The Dead - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

The House Of The Dead There's stuff hidden in that there game

#1 User is offline NiktheGreek 

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

• Grumpy old bastard
  • Project:Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
  • Wiki edits:41
Hello friends. If not you're the sort of person what does a read of Retro Gamer, you might not know that I did an Ultimate Guide feature on The House Of The Dead in the latest issue. But I'm not here to do a cheap plug for the thing I wrote.

As part of the feature, I interviewed one of the artists who worked on the Saturn version. As it turns out, he had some very interesting things to say about the game. Check this out:

Art-wise they basically dumped a huge back-up drive on us with all of the game assets contained from the original roms and Softimage scenes. Scanning through the folders we came across some interesting working files and other hidden characters that never made the final cut. You could probably write an article about them on their own. We noticed Sylvester Stallone and Judge Dredd textures among them. Did AM1 begin HOTD as a Dredd game to tie-in with the movie? The timing was suspiciously similar.

Speculation aside, other hidden gems in the ROM were a number of very dubiously looking enemy characters. One called Mr G, looked like a marble-skinned Gorrilla of a man wearing a bondage mask and latex pants with a fetching love heart-shaped belt-buckle. Another was a rather sexy legged female boss called Syndy who paraded around in a leather corset and swung a croquet hammer around! I can only guess these characters may have been a little too adult in nature along with another bunch that looked like a cross between someone in a gimp suit and the cenobites from Hellraiser.

Better yet, there's evidence of all of this, as textures for those characters were provided to me alongside assets from the finished game. As they were for the Model 2 board, they're all greyscale.

Here's some texture work for Syndy:

Posted Image

Here's some for Mr. G:

Posted Image

And lastly, the Dredd-related stuff:

Posted Image

Now, I don't know the first thing about hacking Model 2 games. But you lot might just do, and I figured that this information might jumpstart interest in The House Of The Dead, and give you all a bit of a jumping-off point. If not, it's at least some neat info.

#2 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:12 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Interesting stuff! Yeah, the bondage villains might have been a tad too risqué =P

#3 User is offline Icewarrior 

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:24 AM

• I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!!
I love the first THOTD so thank you very much for sharing these.

Funny though that the bondage-like ennemies might have been too much for them back in 1996, since I'm pretty sure other games soon after featured such concept, like Carnevil for example back in 1998.

#4 User is offline Sploit 

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

• Wiki edits:5
I still haven't actually played the first House Of The Dead. Interesting that it may have had different origins.

I got the digital versions of 3 and 4 for my PS3 some time ago. Between the PS3 and Wii, you can get most of the series pretty cheap. :v:

#5 User is offline VolgShan 

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:53 AM

• Project:SFGHQ
House of the dead is one of my favorite arcade games ever!XD Wish we could a pc release or a complete collection on something. But wow what a great find!

#6 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:58 AM

• つづく
  • Project:Diva
  • Wiki edits:6
The House of the Dredd

#7 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

• Model2B Junkie
  • Project:Sonic the Fighters ... Always
I'm kind of shocked no one called me out on this. I specalize in arcade hacking, specifically Sonic the Fighters but I have dabbled into HotD. There is, just like Sonic the Fighters, a debug mode, seemingly intact in the ROM last I looked, but due to the closed source nature and my limited resources, no one ever wanted to peruse it. If you are willing to help me out on the Sega arcade hacking front I'd love it but yes, HotD held many treasures.

EDIT: I thought the HOTD encyclopedia went over this?
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: 04 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users