Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Aladdin protoype released - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Aladdin protoype released

#16 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 06 September 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

And now

https://www.youtube....gQzkVLq0&t=6m4s

some prototype footage from Summer CES 1993.
The footage shown in that video was captured directly from the actual hardware. It seems to me that it's not from CES but rather meant to be shown around the time that CES took place.

The noticeable differences between that "CES sneak preview" and this build are:

-Items and enemies in the preview seem to either not exist at all (doubtful) or are deactivated so that people won't get to see the ugly pencil tests of the enemies that were being worked on for the CES. Every object is present in the prototype dump, finished or otherwise.
-Life meter was changed from a Genie meter to the final lamp. The old one seems to have been even more in line with the "snake meter" in their Jungle Book builds before Eurocom changed it.
-Lives icon changed from regular Aladdin to Prince Ali (but still drawn in pixel art style)
-Changed the background at Sultan's Palace to the final one.

Since we don't know how far they were regarding implementation and clean-up of the objects and enemies, there's still the possibility of them being able to develop this build in time for CES after the video was filmed and edited, but we won't know for sure until some actual CES footage appears or a very detailed hands-on article is found...
Disregard, see below.

View PostOverlord, on 06 September 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

I didn't even know the Jungle Book was ON the Mega Drive. Must look into that...
It was their previous project, which they had to put on hold in favor of Aladdin. Then, when they were supposed to go back and finish it, they left to form Shiny and Virgin hired Eurocom to finish it.

That's why the graphics in The Jungle Book look more like Global Gladiators than Aladdin, and also why the level design feels like a step backwards. The Shiny guys seemed to learn a lot about level design between this Aladdin prototype and the final version.

You can read more about this game's story here. There was a Blue Sky version of the Genesis game at one point, even!

EDIT: Also, here's a topic I made about it some time ago.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 07 September 2016 - 02:12 AM

#17 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostICEknight, on 06 September 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Since we don't know how far they were regarding implementation and clean-up of the objects and enemies, there's still the possibility of them being able to develop this build in time for CES after the video was filmed and edited, but we won't know for sure until some actual CES footage appears or a very detailed hands-on article is found...

Well as I said, it's dated three weeks after Summer CES 1993 ended, although I suppose we can't completely rule out the possibilty Virgin Games didn't have calendars.

This later prototype turns up in SCES coverage but I don't think it reflects the true situation:
http://segaretro.org..._11.pdf&page=13
The German edition of Sega Pro, published nearly three months after Summer CES in late August 1993.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 07 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

#18 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

• wikiman
I retract my statement about Sega Pro - those screenshots appear to have come from Sega themselves as they're turning up in quite a few magazines.

This is actually a mirror image of the situation with Sonic 2 - really early proto turns up at Summer CES, slightly later one (Wai) is gets used by the press and Sega themselves to hype the game up a bit around July/August time.

#19 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 06 September 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

Well as I said, it's dated three weeks after Summer CES 1993 ended

Oops, I had overlooked this little detail. =P

#20 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:18 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
A small difference on the music part of Jafar Palace, the prototype sounds slightly slower than the final (and it even sounds SLOWER with the euro region code on)
Also I did some small save state experiment

This one is when I load the beta save state on the final. It load part of the beta contents and the background was flashing different palettes (almost seizure like style)
Posted Image

And this is when I load the final game save state into the beta game and here is the strange results.

Posted Image

Yeah this is the results everyone.
I will do this for EVERY level back and forth between the beta and the final ver.
This post has been edited by DarkVDee: 06 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

#21 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View PostDarkVDee, on 06 September 2016 - 06:18 PM, said:

This one is when I load the beta save state on the final. It load part of the beta contents and the background was flashing different palettes (almost seizure like style)

Savestates contain the entire VRAM, so the fact that it still shows the prototype material doesn't necessarily mean anything.

#22 User is online Shoemanbundy 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
That other build after CES looks neat. I wish we had a chance at seeing an even earlier build, or getting to see what BlueSky's version looked like. There's so much out there that doesn't seem like it would ever turn up.

This is interesting research guys, keep it up!
This post has been edited by Shoemanbundy: 06 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

#23 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:02 PM

• wikiman
I did a quick-ish run-through of magazines we have last night:

Disney's Aladdin/Magazine articles

I've identified three prototypes:

The first is the actual Summer CES 1993 build I mentioned yesterday. Genie as a life counter, empty levels, not much going on.

The second is this prototype. It was used, much like the Simon Wai Sonic 2 beta, as a tool for taking pretty, well composited screenshots which then turned up in a bazillion magazines.

The third is somewhere in between this prototype and the final. I don't know the game well enough to clock all the details but it's basically "score on the left, final life icon".

This issue of French magazine Player One kindly has shots of both 2 and 3:

http://retrocdn.net/...034.pdf&page=12

However, more importantly, a month later they have off-screen photos of the third prototype, which suggests it may have appeared at an event around August-ish 1993. Aladdin doesn't seem to have appeared at ECTS Autumn 1993 so we can rule that one out.

http://segaretro.org...035.pdf&page=12

(note also they have screenshots from the "final" too.)

So as a rough timeline:

Early 1993: BlueSky stuff
Late May? 1993: SCES demo.
27th June 1993: this prototype
July/early August-ish 1993: third prototype
August 1993: final game (according to the ROM)
October/November 1993: Final game is released

#24 User is offline gold lightning 

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

• I have seen some shit in my time
  • Wiki edits:2

</snip>

And this is when I load the final game save state into the beta game and here is the strange results.

Posted Image

I will do this for EVERY level back and forth between the beta and the final ver.

As GerbilSoft pointed out, the first screenshot is likely to be useless (no offense). However, this second one intrigued me. As you probably noticed, the final game crashes to psychedelic background colors. But this screenshot suggests that the prototype jumps to a proper exception handler instead of doing weird palette cycling.

So I took a crack at making the prototype crash myself.
Posted Image

Of course, this is kind of a "no shit" thing because it is very important for developers to know exactly what is causing crashes during the development process. I just wonder why it was removed in the final game. That date of January 1991 is also interesting (imo).

#25 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin
I don't know if Sega had this policy, but Nintendo required developers to disable crash dump screens prior to release. One well-known example is The New Tetris for N64. There was a reproducible crash bug that they couldn't fix in time for release, so they replaced the crash dump screen with a "secret cheat" message (using what looks like the Commodore 64 font :v:).

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure if it's the crash dump that they had to disable, or just fix all crash bugs in general. TCRF says "the developer had to close out all crashing bugs in order to ship".)
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 07 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

#26 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World

View Postgold lightning, on 07 September 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

</snip>

Posted Image

As GerbilSoft pointed out, the first screenshot is likely to be useless (no offense). However, this second one intrigued me. As you probably noticed, the final game crashes to psychedelic background colors. But this screenshot suggests that the prototype jumps to a proper exception handler instead of doing weird palette cycling.

So I took a crack at making the prototype crash myself.
Posted Image

Of course, this is kind of a "no shit" thing because it is very important for developers to know exactly what is causing crashes during the development process. I just wonder why it was removed in the final game. That date of January 1991 is also interesting (imo).

Look like my plan work after all.

#27 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

View Postgold lightning, on 07 September 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

That date of January 1991 is also interesting (imo).

So that exception handler must have been coded for Global Gladiators or... The Terminator, even?

#28 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:48 PM

That was Virgin's US Fax number. It's also in Robocop Vs. Terminator. D.P. was presumably Dave Perry.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Pirate Dragon: 08 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users