Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 318 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces

#751 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postsynchronizer, on 20 March 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

View PostAquova, on 20 March 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

View PostXilla, on 19 March 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

Maybe they'll go the StC route and have some time travel shenanigans going on - Classic and Modern Robotnik both team up and send their versions of Sonic and friends into the future, and conquer the world in their absence.

Ah, The "Samurai Jack" approach.

I thought that Sonic '06 already took that approach, except the main cast was able to return to the past.

Kinda. True the world was destroyed in the future but it wasn't Robotnik's doing. Not as interesting IMO.

#752 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

• Wiki edits:13

View PostTiller, on 19 March 2017 - 10:24 PM, said:

View PostRikohZX, on 19 March 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

View PostMissingNoGuy, on 19 March 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

By "resistance" I assume it's a militia of sorts. Maybe they scavenged stuff from G.U.N.? Hard to say, really.

Well if Game Informer was anything to go by, this is Eggman's conquering-in-progress to start the game off seemingly, so I don't think there's a resistance quite yet. But it's impossible to tell for now.

Looking at the bit of level we have the props seem to imply that the town had been prepping to be besieged. There are sandbags, razor wire, and massive warning sirens blaring between the music and sound effects, plus some sort of return fire aimed at the egg monos. It doesn't feel like this is the first time whatever is attacking has rolled over a town, especially since Sonic and his pals are there with the latter apparently sending status updates to him through some sort of communicator.

And somehow Classic Sonic fits into this equation. So time travel bullshit is pretty much guaranteed. I'm laugh my ass off if the third character is a 'Future' Sonic of sorts.

inb4 "future" Sonic is just Silver. :v
This post has been edited by Ashram: 20 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

#753 User is offline Motwera 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

• #ReimaginingM
  • Project:College, 3WIREL!/Crashy News
Alright, late Sonic Forces (Modern Gameplay) First Impressions from just that approx-minute video:

I liked how they brought back the boost gameplay that we all know and love from Generations, Colo(u)rs and Unleashed. The game looks lush and detailed with all of its mix of Unleashed's City Buildings (Rooftop Run) and Lost World's Hills (Windy Hills-like). It also looks kinda rushed on few things, for instance: the fire effects look way unconvincing, mind you that I watched the same gameplay over and over at both 30fps and 60fps. One thing that I am kinda annoyed at is that the Wisps are shoehorned for boosting and doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose as it used to be in Colo(u)rs and Lost World (mind you, Generations doesn't count).

What worries me more than the gameplay (which overall, I think it looks great but left me underwhelmed), is the variety of gameplay styles that are forcing the player to play as Sonic in every bit and I assume that I can't just say that the 3rd gameplay style can be about open-ended exploration, since that's just wishful thinking or a prediction of mine. Logo's amature-looking but that's just me and it doesn't seem to drive off anyone that much, although it is now brimmed with jokes and memes alongside the title of the game.

Overall, with few things missing, this is what I think of Sonic Forces as of what I have seen so far...

#754 User is offline big smile 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:01 AM

I wish they had used Green Hill Zone and not some generic city. Imagine speeding through one of the loop-de-loops only for it to be blasted into crumbling cubes and then immediately seeing those iconic totem poles burn down to ash. Then a palm tree falls and the nest of Flickies inside of it get hit by a laser, which transforms them into robots. It would have more emotional impact. Plus, GHZ has been reused far too many times, so seeing it burn would be a dramatic twist.

I also wish the pathways were a bit wider to allow for some optional exploration, but I guess it's only a brief clip, so they might have exploration sections in other parts of the game.

#755 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

View Postbig smile, on 21 March 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

I wish they had used Green Hill Zone and not some generic city. Imagine speeding through one of the loop-de-loops only for it to be blasted into crumbling cubes and then immediately seeing those iconic totem poles burn down to ash. Then a palm tree falls and the nest of Flickies inside of it get hit by a laser, which transforms them into robots. It would have more emotional impact. Plus, GHZ has been reused far too many times, so seeing it burn would be a dramatic twist.

Even in that context I gotta say no. It's shown up way to much lately and it's even in Mania. After mania it's time for GHZ to fuck off for a while.

Plus a city makes sense. Why would Robotnik need to use armed mechs to take over an uninhabited jungle area?
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 21 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

#756 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

No more Green Hill/ Green Hill with a different name, please. It's been reused so much that its identity is pretty much nostalgia pandering. There's nothing iconic in particular about the stage other than being the first Sonic Zone. Go see Sonic Lost World's Windy Hill. There's nothing special about the Zone other than being a template for other Zones. It really just boils down to nostalgia pandering or laziness to create another Zone.
I also doubt it's mere coincidence that Green Hill is favored so often when it happens to be the easiest stage to work with, model, and optimize in 3D. Go look at Generations and it's massive hallway corridors and endless oceans.
This post has been edited by Amnimator: 21 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

#757 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

• Wiki edits:6

I also wish the pathways were a bit wider to allow for some optional exploration, but I guess it's only a brief clip, so they might have exploration sections in other parts of the game.

Basically what Dark Sonic and Animator said. You wouldn't get the same sense of devastation if it was a more natural area like Green Hill (ala Angel Island in S3). The theme of this game seems to be that it's in the midst of a war or something. Eggman has seemingly already won, and "the resistance" is fighting back. That's why this city is loaded with barbed wire, sand bags and other signs of an on-going battle. I'm not really sure I'd call it "generic", either. It's very bright and colourful with different architecture to anything else in the series so far. Plus, it's actually set amongst a Green Hill esque landscape, complete with some of the very geometric trees from Lost World.

Your idea is definitely cool. I like it. But I'm actually happy to finally see Sonic returning to some more realistic landscapes. The series can do both realistic and total fantasy, and it looks like they're really trying to strike a good balance between the two this time.

#758 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

Every Sonic game since Generations aside from Fire & Ice has had Green Hill or some variation on it as its first stage. I'll take Rooftop Run again over that.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 21 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

#759 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=_Zm0FvEn5CU

If you look to the background at about the 30 second mark, you can see an area without buildings or anything. Doesn't that look a touch like Green Hill Zone? Looks like Sega found a way to sneak it in as the first stage yet again, they just built a city over it.

(having trouble trying to embed the gameplay footage video, if it just shows up as a link, sorry.)

EDIT: Never mind on that one. Ended up pausing the video at the right point, and it's not quite Green Hill. It looks geometric enough to be a classic level area, but it's missing the checkerboard pattern. Has more of a layered stripes look.
This post has been edited by Kharen: 21 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

#760 User is offline Sky The Destroyer 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

View PostKharen, on 21 March 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

(having trouble trying to embed the gameplay footage video, if it just shows up as a link, sorry.)
Remove the s in https to embed it.

EDIT:

Like so. Any new info out of this?
This post has been edited by Sky The Destroyer: 21 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

#761 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostKharen, on 21 March 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=_Zm0FvEn5CU

If you look to the background at about the 30 second mark, you can see an area without buildings or anything. Doesn't that look a touch like Green Hill Zone? Looks like Sega found a way to sneak it in as the first stage yet again, they just built a city over it.

Well, yes the green areas of the city are Sonicy looking, which makes sense and I'm fine with this (And as you later edited there are no checkered patterns here). The block trees were also in Sonic Lost World. In fact I'm glad they blended a city with this green environment, because it tries to piece together Sonic's world which honestly makes no fucking sense. How can Green Hill Zone and Hill Top Zone exist besides Not Greece (Apotos), Red Mountain, and Station Square (and then what does Station Square look like, as in one game it's like New York and in another it's like San Francisco)? This looks like their first ever attempt at blending this world they've largely ignored for the past 20 years.

Cities have parks and coasts, that's the case here it seems.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 21 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

#762 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostSky The Destroyer, on 21 March 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Little bits. Nakamura (game director) wanted the music to be more "intense" for this game, so that's what Ohtani has gone for. You can hear it, albeit not very clearly, in the background of the gameplay footage. Aaron said that he'll see if it's possible to post up a snippet of the music in the coming months as more info about the game is divulged. He specified, of course, that he's not making any promises because these things require approval from the powers that be.

Senoue has contributed to the soundtrack in a small way at least. Ohtani wrote the theme song and asked Senoue to find a vocalist. Apparently, they did the same for Unleashed, Colours and '06. It's not really clear yet if Senoue is also a contributing artist on the soundtrack otherwise. All we know for sure is that Ohtani is the sound director, and big Sonic games always have a sizeable team of musicians involved to differing degrees. For the record, Ohtani previously directed '06, Unleashed, Lost World and Runners, and contributed in large to SA2, Heroes, Colours and Generations. The man is certainly talented and very versatile.

I think that's about it for Forces. The two also talked about their favourite compositions for the series (Rooftop Run and Escape from the City amongst them). Interestingly, Senoue said he went through eight different songs before finally creating and deciding upon Open Your Heart as the theme for SA1. Fun bit of trivia that we'll probably never know anything more about.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 21 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

#763 User is offline big smile 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

View PostDark Sonic, on 21 March 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

Well, yes the green areas of the city are Sonicy looking, which makes sense and I'm fine with this (And as you later edited there are no checkered patterns here). The block trees were also in Sonic Lost World. In fact I'm glad they blended a city with this green environment, because it tries to piece together Sonic's world which honestly makes no fucking sense. How can Green Hill Zone and Hill Top Zone exist besides Not Greece (Apotos), Red Mountain, and Station Square (and then what does Station Square look like, as in one game it's like New York and in another it's like San Francisco)? This looks like their first ever attempt at blending this world they've largely ignored for the past 20 years.

As dumb as it seems Iizuka had said in the past that the Sonic games take place on two different worlds. So Green Hill and Apotos would be on two different planets. But hopefully the blended environment in the Forces trailer is a sign that they've ditched that stupid two planet idea.

#764 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

View Postbig smile, on 21 March 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

As dumb as it seems Iizuka had said in the past that the Sonic games take place on two different worlds. So Green Hill and Apotos would be on two different planets. But hopefully the blended environment in the Forces trailer is a sign that they've ditched that stupid two planet idea.

Another one of his dumb ass lore explanations I'm sure, right up there with the blown up moon thing (It turned around guys). I'm sure the real answer is just "I have no idea," but at least it looks like they're trying to address the situation.

Of course, no one cares about these details outside of hardcore fans, but when you look at, say, Nintendo's famous series, they have either much more consistent world design or better explanations for variety.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 21 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

#765 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostBlue Blood, on 21 March 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

View PostSky The Destroyer, on 21 March 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Little bits. Nakamura (game director) wanted the music to be more "intense" for this game, so that's what Ohtani has gone for. You can hear it, albeit not very clearly, in the background of the gameplay footage. Aaron said that he'll see if it's possible to post up a snippet of the music in the coming months as more info about the game is divulged. He specified, of course, that he's not making any promises because these things require approval from the powers that be.

Wait, so the interview confirmed Shun Nakamura as the game director for Sonic Forces, as well as the game producer?

• 318 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

14 User(s) are reading this topic
5 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Member: Jason,
  2. Member: 1stKirbyever,
  3. Trial Member: Crankshadow,
  4. Member: Laughingcow,
  5. Tech Member: Dario FF