Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Blade Arcus from Shining coming to Steam on July 28th - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Blade Arcus from Shining coming to Steam on July 28th Sega's Shining fighting game

#1 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

  • Probably part of some problem
  • Posts: 11004
  • Joined: 09-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twitter
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
https://twitter.com/...019097310928896

Well this came out of nowhere. Blade Arcus from Shining, which is a fighting game featuring Shining characters nobody in the west really knows about cause most Shining games in the past decade have been Japan only, is getting a western release on Steam with online multiplayer. Release date is July 28th.

Steam page: http://store.steampo...com/app/446040/
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 15 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

#2 User is offline Jason 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

  • *Results not lab tested.
  • Posts: 1725
  • Joined: 20-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Columbus, OH
So rather than bring the company's well-known fighting game to Steam (Virtua Fighter), or localize the company's tatical RPG (Shining Force), they bring the fighting game spin-off to Steam.

...OK.

#3 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:52 PM

  • Probably part of some problem
  • Posts: 11004
  • Joined: 09-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twitter
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostJason, on 15 July 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

So rather than bring the company's well-known fighting game to Steam (Virtua Fighter), or localize the company's tatical RPG (Shining Force), they bring the fighting game spin-off to Steam.

...OK.

To be fair, Sega doesn't seem to be handling the PC port. The Steam page shows Studio Saizensen as the publisher and developer. They probably got the license from Sega to publish/port the game.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 15 July 2016 - 02:53 PM

#4 User is offline STHX 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:24 PM

  • SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Posts: 1753
  • Joined: 25-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The world of Trophies
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
If Sega is willing to let other publishers port their games on Steam, I hope one day Degica or someone else takes the russian pc version of Sakura Wars and translates it.

#5 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

  • Probably part of some problem
  • Posts: 11004
  • Joined: 09-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twitter
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostSTHX, on 15 July 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

If Sega is willing to let other publishers port their games on Steam, I hope one day Degica or someone else takes the russian pc version of Sakura Wars and translates it.

This isn't the first time they're letting other publishers do stuff with Sega games/IP. They are letting YS Net self-publish Shenmue 3, and Deep Silver will handle the releases of Sega and Atlus games in Europe. So them letting other publishers re-release Sega games does seem to be possible.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 15 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

#6 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

  • Posts: 1651
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Doylestown, PA
  • Wiki edits:100
So, uh...

Is there any Shining character in this roster I'm actually supposed to recognize?

I mean, it's a big fighting game crossover thing, so canon isn't an excuse. At least have a token appearance of Max or Bowie or Jogurt or Darksol. How the heck is anyone who hasn't followed the Shining series since the last localized game supposed to even recognize this as a Shining game?

#7 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

  • Dem Melons
  • Posts: 2832
  • Joined: 10-February 06
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Victoria, Australia
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
I don't think it's really possible. I can't even think of any Shining games that've universally gotten the Western Shining community excited since the 90s.

#8 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

  • Probably part of some problem
  • Posts: 11004
  • Joined: 09-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twitter
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
Yeah, it's a really weird game to localize. I don't think I've even ever seen anyone ask for this game to be localized.

#9 User is offline STHX 

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

  • SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Posts: 1753
  • Joined: 25-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The world of Trophies
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31

View PostKiddo Cabbusses, on 28 July 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

So, uh...

Is there any Shining character in this roster I'm actually supposed to recognize?

I mean, it's a big fighting game crossover thing, so canon isn't an excuse. At least have a token appearance of Max or Bowie or Jogurt or Darksol. How the heck is anyone who hasn't followed the Shining series since the last localized game supposed to even recognize this as a Shining game?

The main problem with this game is that it focuses on the "modern" Shining series (the ones where the main character art is done by Tony Taka, and the gameplay is no longer SRPG, but more action-like), and I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure none of them ever released in the west. Modern Shining is like a completely different series in both tone and setting. I don't even thing the first games are canon any more.
This post has been edited by STHX: 29 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

#10 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

  • Posts: 1651
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Doylestown, PA
  • Wiki edits:100

View PostSTHX, on 29 July 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

The main problem with this game is that it focuses on the "modern" Shining series (the ones where the main character art is done by Tony Taka, and the gameplay is no longer SRPG, but more action-like), and I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure none of them ever released in the west. Modern Shining is like a completely different series in both tone and setting. I don't even thing the first games are canon any more.


I'd probably rather enjoy seeing Sarah or Tao in Taka's style. Too bad Sega seems to prefer pissing in the well of the Camelot-era Shining games.

(Meanwhile, Nintendo prints money off of Fire Emblem, a tactics RPG the likes of which modern Sega outright does not make anymore.)

#11 User is offline Krossaturno 

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:33 AM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 29-July 16
Well, at least that fighting game is fun, hopefully in time, the rest of the Shining games will follow, along with other Sega titles. Would personally like a PC port of the Yakauza games and Vanquish most notably, among many other things.
This post has been edited by Krossaturno: 03 August 2016 - 04:34 AM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users