Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Re: Sonic Megamix - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Re: Sonic Megamix

#76 User is offline Aquaslash 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:41 PM

• Emerald Dragoon
  • Project:The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
  • Wiki edits:1,144

View PostStealth, on 23 July 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostAquaslash, on 22 July 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

Well this is...a thing. Realistically, you had to make SOME move, so I'm glad you're taking the initiative to do that much. I've got many things I can at least say for my own contribution, but I suppose those are best said in private. however, I very much wish you all the luck in the world on your own personal projects, and at the very least, you CAN shoot me a PM here at any time. I'm not dead yet! Severely occupied, but not enough that I won't give a listening ear at the very least

Yo, man.. Just to cover my side of things, I sent you a couple of PMs on this board and direct skype/msn messages about this a good while ago. The fact that I sent them directly to you and not as part of something that could be easily skipped over, and how I had spaced out sending them, I got the impression that you were legit ignoring me for some reason so I didn't bother you anymore. Maybe they were lost in some kind of confusion? I don't know.. Exact same thing happened with Robjoe.. I've even seen the both of you sign into Skype a few times in the recent weeks and you had nothing to say to me (which is generally fine anyway, I don't fault people for not starting conversations frequently because I don't do it myself, either), but also, neither you nor Robjoe ever talked in the Skype Megamix chat I started with you invited, either, which is another thing that I had assumed would visibly pop up in your face the first time your client downloaded it, and for a little while, a lot was said in there. It has gone dead since, though, and I've long since lost the link after reinstalling Windows and updating Skype

Yeah, it's cool if your busy and all. I just couldn't tell if it was that or either of you had some kind of problem with me. There had been enough going on with a lot of things to make that sort of thing easy for me to believe

To make a long story short for the books, I missed all those chats, and my job sucks and has soul consuming hours. Id quit if the pay wasnt obscenely good. The rest will come in pms

EDIT: oh. There were no PMs. And here I thought I went off the deep end again...

#77 User is offline 360 

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostStealth, on 23 July 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

Yeah, just so it's actually specified here, this is why I haven't been working on Megamix myself lately

(discussion thread here)
http://forums.sonicr...opic=35709&st=0

Hey Stealth. Apologies if this is a naive and idiotic question but what's stopping you and MarkeyJester from continuing work on Sonic Megamix once your contract with Sonic Mania is finished? Yes it's in the distant future relatively but surely you could just place Megamix on hold until your more important duties are fulfilled? You've already posted detailed replies extensively in this thread (which I have read) so apologies if you've already answered this and I missed it. Just curious and I'm sure others are too.

#78 User is offline Neo Hazard 

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

• Wiki edits:2

Also for all reasons he listed earlier and I'm sure that it's probably frowned upon to do Sonic Fan Hacks when you've worked on an officially licensed game. In other words, he can't go into specifics, just know he (likely) can't and won't.

#79 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865

View Post360, on 06 August 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

View PostStealth, on 23 July 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

Yeah, just so it's actually specified here, this is why I haven't been working on Megamix myself lately

(discussion thread here)
http://forums.sonicr...opic=35709&st=0

Hey Stealth. Apologies if this is a naive and idiotic question but what's stopping you and MarkeyJester from continuing work on Sonic Megamix once your contract with Sonic Mania is finished? Yes it's in the distant future relatively but surely you could just place Megamix on hold until your more important duties are fulfilled? You've already posted detailed replies extensively in this thread (which I have read) so apologies if you've already answered this and I missed it. Just curious and I'm sure others are too.

Probably the fact that the hack was abandoned by virtually everyone except Stealth and possibly MarkeyJester.

#80 User is offline MaskedMage 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

First and foremost, I want to say that Sonic 1 Megamix is easily one of the best hacks in Sonic games and even one of the best hacks in overall. I guess I do not need to mention all its advantages and features. What I would like to discuss is that these 3 versions out there - the stable, the newer beta and the newest leaked one - are in my opinion almost all equally good. That being said, aforementioned versions are enjoyable on their own and there is thus no ultimate version for me; I am keeping all these ROMs in my PC. Why? After playing aforementioned versions recently, I have came up with some reflections. Let me explain:

The 'complete' stable 3.0 is the first version I have played. I had such a "wow" experience while playing first acts. So magnificent that it feels like a major hack in terms of GFX, despite having only pallettes changed. Major overhaul of level design as well as nifty control features like Hover attack (alt. Jump Dash) and Light Dash makes this game very replayable. It has some quirks though. Because it is the only version for Genesis while two latter are for Sega CD, it makes the 4th zone a struggle with many slowdowns. Moreover, enemies and spikes are at some places very unfairly placed, leading to occasional frustrations despite the greatness of this hack; whether played with classic or megamix control scheme.

The 4.0b version fixed the unfair placement of badniks and even spikes. We have new gfx for the 1st zone and new, remade boss in the 2nd zone. The level design of the latter zone is entirely changed in exchange for the new, gimmicky platforms. But it is understandable and, like the 3.0 counterpart, equally enjoyable. I also like the audiovisual revamp of Special Stages - each of them have their own BGM and background. Because it is an unstable version, graphical glitches do occur, but all aforementioned advantages overshadow this disadvantage. It creates thus a fair, "jack of all trades" experience among 3 versions. Too bad only that Eggman can be defeated with just one hit during the last fight.

I discovered recently the leaked, so called 5.0 version. I would say we should thank the fate.. or 'coincidence' that this version has been made to the public. I love the choice between FM and CD music. The latter BGMs, included in this ROM, are very enjoyable to listen. Some zones have also new gfx and level design revamps anew. While this hack has the most "wow" factors, it has also the most quirks unfortunatelly. After all, it is a leaked version.
Among those cons, some levels are incomplete - player is forced to play other levels in Time Attack and checkpoints in levels become thus obsolete. While some GFX are really impressive, the "complexity" of another ones creates a messy visuals during the play and is thus not pleasing to the eye. For instance, look at 3nd and 5th zones. And foremost, there is only one Special Stage which even freezes the game whether you succeed or fail. But on other side, it is very original and playable which has the vibe of Sonic CD Special Stages.

In short, all of these versions are good and I keep replaying one after another, in the similar fashion I love to replay vanilla levels of Genesis Sonic series but with different characters like Tails in 1 or Amy in 3&K. If someone asks me which version should he or she play, I would say this:
- if you want complete as well as most vanilla, stable experience, choose 3.0,
- if you want a fair and easygoing experience in terms of gameplay, choose 4.0b,
- if you want just to check how very cool experience may Sonic Megamix offer (once Stealth releases the bugfixed version after he is done with Mania, I sincerely hope) regardless of bugs and glitches, choose the leaked '5.0'.

Maybe too long to read and nothing new or groundbreaking, but I had just a mood to write this little essay. I hope you enjoyed reading my work as much as I had the pleasure writing this. What is your opinion about this, folks?

#81 User is offline Breadbin 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

Since you have taken the time to write this well constructed reflection, I'll take the time to respond.

I have to say that I do very much agree with a lot of what you are saying; version 3.0 felt like a much more complete game whilst version 4.0b felt very much more experimental but stable.

I remember back when version 5.0 was leaked - I never did download it (at the time I believe I did so out of respect for the creators) but I have seen videos and it does look very fun. It certainly has build upon the momentum which version 4.0b created and looks very promising.

I think it is incredibly interesting to see how Megamix has evolved over time and in my opinion, the transition between version 3.0 and 4.0b is where the game started to feel less like a Sonic hack and more like an entirely new game itself. I am incredibly interested to see what the future holds for this hack in regards to design choices, implementations and how much the team can really push the technical limitations of the Genesis / Mega CD.

#82 User is offline Metal Knuckles 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:04 PM

• HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU
  • Project:Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
  • Wiki edits:10
It was pretty obvious what the fate of this game was gonna be once it was confirmed there would be no Big the Cat fishing minigame.

#83 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:50 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Organiser
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193

View PostMetal Knuckles, on 15 February 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

It was pretty obvious what the fate of this game was gonna be once it was confirmed there would be no Big the Cat fishing minigame.

At least there is Big's Fishing Derby for your 16-bit enormous purple cat fix.

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users