Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub (PC/Steam) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 17 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub (PC/Steam) Releases April 28th, lets you share ROM hacks through Steam Workshop

#16 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
SEGA has confirmed that they mean sharing ROM hacks with Workshop support: https://twitter.com/...285810028642304

Holy fuck

#17 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
I wonder if this is somehow in response to Mario Maker. Except they decided to one-up it by giving the green light to ROM hacks themselves, not just a novelty drag and drop.

#18 User is offline Donnie Paradox 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

• Some Gai
I am absolutely shocked. I knew SEGA didn't necessarily have a problem with ROMs, but now they're encouraging them? And making them something you can share on Steam?!

My jaw is on the floor.

#19 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4
Seriously? They have always been cool with not trying to stop us, but to actually let us share our hacks like this?

Oooooo I wonder exactly how it will work.

#20 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

• Don't mess with Luigi
  • Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13
Personally, I believe there has to be some catch to this. Maybe the hub will come out with some modding tools that hacks on the Workshop page MUST use. Surely even Sega must have a limit as to what they'll accept us doing to their games? Surely they won't let us upload hacks made with the use of a disassembly?

If they'll gladly let us put games like S Factor or Knuckles' Emerald Hunt on the Steam Workshop, I am going to be completely floored.

#21 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults
Miracle of miracles. I'm interested to see how they implement this.

#22 User is offline amphobius 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

• where are the japanese shaman girls, lintahlo?
  • Project:life
  • Wiki edits:165
Pinch me I might be dreaming.

#23 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:54 PM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostChris Highwind, on 21 April 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

Personally, I believe there has to be some catch to this. Maybe the hub will come out with some modding tools that hacks on the Workshop page MUST use. Surely even Sega must have a limit as to what they'll accept us doing to their games? Surely they won't let us upload hacks made with the use of a disassembly?

If they'll gladly let us put games like S Factor or Knuckles' Emerald Hunt on the Steam Workshop, I am going to be completely floored.

Disassembly or no, I'm floored already.

#24 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086

The gates have opened, folks. I'm speechless at this announcement.

...I'll be buying the Mega Drive Classics game when it comes out.

And you should too.

#25 User is offline Liraxus 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:58 PM

• Some shmuck
  • Project:Nothing, really.
Huh, cool.

The hub itself looks alright to me, I guess they want to add a bit more buzz to the fact you can buy all those old Sega titles. I might have to try this out with my Steam copy of Sonic 3. VR, wooooo!
(In all honesty, really wish the gaming industry would chill out about VR...unless we get a major game release alot of this feels like pointless tech demo's to me...)

#26 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:30 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
This is huge news. But there has to be some sort of catch. I bet they would test ROMs we submit before giving it the green light. Otherwise you'll have any old silly ROM up there. Someone will just hack a ROM and change sonic red and give awful palettes and hope that'll go onto Steam. Surely SEGA wouldn't want that on there, so they'll test it, and if they approve, then it would go onto Steam.

So I could see hacks like Big's Fishing Derby, Knuckles Emerald Hunt, Sonic 1 Next Level, Sonic Bash, S Factor, Classic Heroes, etc making it onto Steam. This is of course speculation.

#27 User is offline LoneDevil 

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:35 AM

• Project:Metal Sonic Rebooted

View Postredhotsonic, on 22 April 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

I bet they would test ROMs we submit before giving it the green light.

If Sega does test hacks before approving them in, would copyrighted chars on their games be an issue? such as having their formal arch nemesis in Sonic 1, I'll be sorta damned if they're totally fine with that.

I'm very curious to see how this goes next week.

#28 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
I think copyright could become an issue. Like a hack from the top of my head, say, CrazyBus. It has Rick Astley's "Never gonna give you up" and that could get SEGA into trouble. Actually, MarkeyJester's "Sonic 1 Next Level" has Alex Lee's Take It which could be an issue too.

Makes me wonder how this will all work out...

#29 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:02 AM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
I am kinda hoping that they do test hacks though. Who knows if their hacks are compatible with their emulator. Plus, they'd wanna make sure the rom hack works before hosting it on the service. This will serve to make hackers debug their hacks too.

I kinda hope they charge for the hacks so we can support the hackers that made the hack. 99 cents a rom hack sounds good to me.

#30 User is offline SuccinctAndPunchy 

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

• Always mad on the internet.
  • Project:Perpetually trying to find more games to speedrun.

View Postredhotsonic, on 22 April 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

I bet they would test ROMs we submit before giving it the green light. Otherwise you'll have any old silly ROM up there. Someone will just hack a ROM and change sonic red and give awful palettes and hope that'll go onto Steam.

Without wishing to sound rude, have you ever seen the Steam workshop before? It's mostly garbage because it's not even slightly vetted for quality I think it's very slightly vetted for obvious flagrant ToS violations and nothing more, there's some good stuff on there to be sure but the entire point of the Workshop is that literally anyone can upload a thing and share it with other people with minimal fuss.

I think copyright could become an issue.

Tabletop Simulator has Steam Workshop support, people (including me) very openly create and share modules for games they do not own the rights to and Steam by and large doesn't really do anything. Largely. Sometimes a board game company takes issue and stuff gets pulled but generally it's smooth sailing, I cannot fathom the situation where a random music clip or using Sega's own characters would get anyone nailed for copyright on this.

View PostMathUser, on 22 April 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

I kinda hope they charge for the hacks so we can support the hackers that made the hack. 99 cents a rom hack sounds good to me.

This was attempted before on the Steam workshop and bombed really fucking hard and is almost certainly not coming back to the Workshop at all.
This post has been edited by SuccinctAndPunchy: 22 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

• 17 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users