Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub (PC/Steam) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 17 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub (PC/Steam) Releases April 28th, lets you share ROM hacks through Steam Workshop

#1 User is online TimmiT 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:10 PM

  • Probably part of some problem
  • Posts: 10688
  • Joined: 09-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twitter
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8


So basically this is a fancy emulator shell for the Mega Drive games SEGA is currently selling on Steam. The virtual room looks neat, but the most interesting aspect is this bit:

Quote

That's not all, every single MEGA Drive game will now feature Steam Workshop support allowing you share modified versions of your favourite retro SEGA titles!

http://www.sega.co.u...ve-classics-hub

Uh huh...
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 21 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

#2 User is offline Icewarrior 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

  • I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!!
  • Posts: 576
  • Joined: 08-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France
What a curious thing to announce!
I wonder whose ports are they, Backbone or M2? (hopefully the latter)
No online coop however is a disappointment however, Gens was able to do that and so did Backbone and M2!

Also curious as to how we're supposed to share modified versions of games, basically with the ROM files?
This post has been edited by Icewarrior: 20 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

#3 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

  • Sentient Cash Register
  • Posts: 3871
  • Joined: 05-February 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The desert of nowhere, USA
  • Wiki edits:1
Wait... is this an official endorsement of romhacks? If so, this is really REALLY strange and unexpected.

#4 User is offline SuccinctAndPunchy 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

  • Always mad on the internet.
  • Posts: 85
  • Joined: 13-March 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Perpetually trying to find more games to speedrun.

View PostIcewarrior, on 20 April 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Also curious as to how we're supposed to share modified versions of games, basically with the ROM files?

Probably with an IPS patch or something similar?

View PostCovarr, on 20 April 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

Wait... is this an official endorsement of romhacks? If so, this is really REALLY strange and unexpected.

I'm not really sure how else to interpret that statement, but it is a bit concerning vague. The other thing that's a bit iffy is that the list of supported games doesn't actually appear to include any of the Sonic games. The ones with pretty large romhacking scenes, so that's kinda bizarre.

#5 User is offline Mors 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

  • Fangame Creator
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 15-December 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Turkey
  • Project:Super Mario Flashback
This is pretty cool! Even thinking about SEGA endorsed romhacks makes me excited.
I also really like the concept of a 3D HUB, but I wish it looked a bit better.

#6 User is online TimmiT 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:03 PM

  • Probably part of some problem
  • Posts: 10688
  • Joined: 09-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twitter
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostSuccinctAndPunchy, on 20 April 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

The other thing that's a bit iffy is that the list of supported games doesn't actually appear to include any of the Sonic games. The ones with pretty large romhacking scenes, so that's kinda bizarre.

It seems like it does support Sonic games, it's just that they only listed the games that are available in the big Mega Drive bundle on Steam. The trailer shows that Sonic games are playable.

#7 User is offline FlashTHD 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

  • Posts: 231
  • Joined: 04-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9
Can people get their heads out of the clouds for five minutes and realize that poorly-phrased statement about Workshop support most likely has to do with the 3D room interface, and not anything to do with letting people pass unendorsed ROM hacks around through Steam?

#8 User is online TimmiT 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

  • Probably part of some problem
  • Posts: 10688
  • Joined: 09-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twitter
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostFlashTHD, on 20 April 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

Can people get their heads out of the clouds for five minutes and realize that poorly-phrased statement about Workshop support most likely has to do with the 3D room interface, and not anything to do with letting people pass unendorsed ROM hacks around through Steam?

It specifically says that the Workshop support is for modified versions of the Mega Drive games.

SEGA not specifying what the possibilities are is pretty dumb though. Now people are assuming that they mean ROM hacks and if it turns out that SEGA meant something else people are going to be disappointed.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 20 April 2016 - 09:41 PM

#9 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:49 PM

  • Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Posts: 795
  • Joined: 14-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mobius
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
I'll be happy if it's support of any kind of modification for Genesis games at a level higher than Game Genie. (might as well set the base line at cheat device level.)

#10 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:36 AM

  • Dem Melons
  • Posts: 2799
  • Joined: 10-February 06
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Victoria, Australia
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostGlaber, on 20 April 2016 - 09:49 PM, said:

I'll be happy if it's support of any kind of modification for Genesis games at a level higher than Game Genie. (might as well set the base line at cheat device level.)

Arguably, if you stacked enough Game Genies up, you could apply several megabytes of patches to a ROM.

Assuming signal attenuation doesn't getcha. :v:

#11 User is offline GregBFM 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 07-November 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:1
Found this through Ars Technica.

As interesting and uplifting as this news is to see them officially supporting ROMhacks -- I'm hoping they don't now pull a Nintendo and demand Sonic Retro "turn all your hosted ROM hacks into IPS patches OR ELSE."

Here's to hoping that they won't do that and thus alienate the very people (us) that they are trying to appeal to with this Steam Workshop stuff -- but it wouldn't be the first case of a company's legal department shooting its own marketing department in the foot.

As a precautionary measure I'd suggest ROM hackers begin always offering IPS versions of their ROM hacks going forward if they haven't already.
This post has been edited by GregBFM: 21 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

#12 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:49 AM

  • Posts: 10013
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
So we're getting this if we own any Mega Drive games on Steam? Neat!

I also hope that M2 is behind this...

#13 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 3703
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View PostGregBFM, on 21 April 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

As interesting and uplifting as this news is to see them officially supporting ROMhacks -- I'm hoping they don't now pull a Nintendo and demand Sonic Retro "turn all your hosted ROM hacks into IPS patches OR ELSE."

Here's to hoping that they won't do that and thus alienate the very people (us) that they are trying to appeal to with this Steam Workshop stuff -- but it wouldn't be the first case of a company's legal department shooting its own marketing department in the foot.

As a precautionary measure I'd suggest ROM hackers begin always offering IPS versions of their ROM hacks going forward if they haven't already.

An IPS patch made from a hack made with a disassembly is likely to contain most (if not all) of the data in the entire ROM, not only making the patch larger than the ROM itself, but arguably just as illegal to distribute.

#14 User is offline Fenrir 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

  • Posts: 57
  • Joined: 09-April 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
This certainly came out of left field. I wish they'd elaborate on what the workshop entails a bit more, but so far it sounds pretty neat. Maybe it'd even motivate some Non-Sonic modders to try their hands at other Genesis games we have yet to see an uprising of mods for.

Looking at you, Gunstar Heroes/ Ristar. :v:

#15 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

  • "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
  • Posts: 2497
  • Joined: 05-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Coast, US
Super super out of left field. At the same time, it makes sense to incentivize purchasing Steam Genesis/MD releases as opposed to downloading ROMs. Looking forward to seeing what kind of modding capabilities it actually allows.

  • 17 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users