Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Games: Console Emulation VS Modified PC - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic Games: Console Emulation VS Modified PC

#1 User is offline Light Guardian 

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 07-February 16
  • Gender:Male
I've been wanting to start up a YouTube gaming channel forever and the Sonic series is one of the first that I wish to tackle. The issue is that I'm a quality nut and would prefer games running in full 1080P @ 60 FPS. I've gone ahead and bought the PC versions of Sonic Riders and Sonic Heroes, but both games lack the full HD resolution I desire and seem to only be able to achieve such visual prowess through a Hex Editor. Given that the PC versions of these games contain a higher base resolution, better textures, and better sound than their GameCube counterparts, is it best to play the modified PC version of the games or play the GameCube versions via PC emulation? Would the emulated game come close, or possibly exceed, the PC version in visuals and stability?

Then there's the whole morality of the situation. I know that Japanese companies are extremely jumpy about emulated games being shown on public sites. Also, I've always been leery of utilizing emulation due to the connection it has with piracy. Now, to be clear, I do own the GameCube versions of the games and could rip the ROMs with the right software; I'd rather not rely on ROMs distributed illegally online.

Anyways, what's your guys take on the issue. Which path should be pursued and why?

#2 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:02 PM

  • RickRotate'd.
  • Posts: 2705
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View PostLight Guardian, on 11 February 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Given that the PC versions of these games contain a higher base resolution, better textures, and better sound than their GameCube counterparts, is it best to play the modified PC version of the games or play the GameCube versions via PC emulation? Would the emulated game come close, or possibly exceed, the PC version in visuals and stability?

The part about textures is not necessarily true. SonicFreak94 (Morph) showed me some comparisons of the Windows release of SA2 and the GCN and DC versions; both the Windows and GCN versions seemed to have some weird JPEG artifacting not present in the DC version.

Having to hack the executables for higher display resolution shouldn't be a big deal here. (The real WTF is the fact that the games have resolution restrictions in the first place, instead of allowing "any" resolution.) There's also some fixes in e.g. SADX Mod Loader that allows for proper widescreen in the 2004 Windows release of SADX.

There's also the fact that emulation of newer systems has a lot of CPU overhead. Whereas the GameCube versions of SADX and Sonic Heroes both run on a 485 MHz PowerPC, Dolphin needs at least a Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPU in order to run smoothly. (Actual requirements vary by game.)

View PostLight Guardian, on 11 February 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Then there's the whole morality of the situation. I know that Japanese companies are extremely jumpy about emulated games being shown on public sites. Also, I've always been leery of utilizing emulation due to the connection it has with piracy. Now, to be clear, I do own the GameCube versions of the games and could rip the ROMs with the right software; I'd rather not rely on ROMs distributed illegally online.

This is really a non-issue here. Screenshots of "emulated" games could just as well be taken with an HDMI capture device. For ripping GCN and Wii titles, I recommend using a hacked Wii and CleanRip.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 11 February 2016 - 11:05 PM
Reason for edit: +CPU

#3 User is online Morph 

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:11 PM

  • AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Posts: 709
  • Joined: 01-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
Sonic Riders, albeit with hex editing like you mentioned, will run at any aspect ratio/resolution you want. Sonic Heroes on the other hand, will stretch to anything non-4:3 edit: I stand corrected! If you're going to be recording though, unless you have a GPU-based recording solution, you'll most certainly be using your CPU. As GerbilSoft mentioned, emulation can be pretty CPU intensive and could hinder the recording performance or vice versa.

That being said, Riders and Heroes on PC only have DirectInput which could cause issues. If you're crazy like me and you just gotta have that rumble, but you only have an XInput controller (360, xbone), then just emulate it.

edit: words are hard
This post has been edited by Morph: 11 February 2016 - 11:15 PM

#4 User is offline CheatFreak 

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

  • Everything or Nothing.
  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: 22-May 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Project:BetterSADX Patch
Well, I know if you want a Sonic Heroes patch, you can use this to get widescreen and custom resolutions: https://thirteenag.g...wfp#sonicheroes
Sonic Riders on PC is hex editable to any resolution you want: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/sonic-riders [ninja'd by SF94]

Sonic Adventure DX 2004 has the Mod Loader, and SA2 supports most resolutions, iirc.
This post has been edited by CheatFreak: 11 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

#5 User is offline Light Guardian 

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:20 AM

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 07-February 16
  • Gender:Male

View PostGerbilSoft, on 11 February 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:


The part about textures is not necessarily true. SonicFreak94 (Morph) showed me some comparisons of the Windows release of SA2 and the GCN and DC versions; both the Windows and GCN versions seemed to have some weird JPEG artifacting not present in the DC version.

Having to hack the executables for higher display resolution shouldn't be a big deal here. (The real WTF is the fact that the games have resolution restrictions in the first place, instead of allowing "any" resolution.) There's also some fixes in e.g. SADX Mod Loader that allows for proper widescreen in the 2004 Windows release of SADX.

There's also the fact that emulation of newer systems has a lot of CPU overhead. Whereas the GameCube versions of SADX and Sonic Heroes both run on a 485 MHz PowerPC, Dolphin needs at least a Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPU in order to run smoothly. (Actual requirements vary by game.)

View PostLight Guardian, on 11 February 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Then there's the whole morality of the situation. I know that Japanese companies are extremely jumpy about emulated games being shown on public sites. Also, I've always been leery of utilizing emulation due to the connection it has with piracy. Now, to be clear, I do own the GameCube versions of the games and could rip the ROMs with the right software; I'd rather not rely on ROMs distributed illegally online.

This is really a non-issue here. Screenshots of "emulated" games could just as well be taken with an HDMI capture device. For ripping GCN and Wii titles, I recommend using a hacked Wii and CleanRip.


Luckily, the Steam version of SA2 can already display at 1080P and the Steam variant of SADX has the BetterSADX mod for it. That artifacting detail is rather interesting and dumb on the part of whatever subdivision/3rd party made the PC ports.

Also, I'll keep that recommendation for ripping games in mind. Odds are I'll have to utilize it when it comes time to play Shadow The Hedgehog.

View PostMorph, on 11 February 2016 - 11:11 PM, said:

Sonic Riders, albeit with hex editing like you mentioned, will run at any aspect ratio/resolution you want. Sonic Heroes on the other hand, will stretch to anything non-4:3 edit: I stand corrected! If you're going to be recording though, unless you have a GPU-based recording solution, you'll most certainly be using your CPU. As GerbilSoft mentioned, emulation can be pretty CPU intensive and could hinder the recording performance or vice versa.

That being said, Riders and Heroes on PC only have DirectInput which could cause issues. If you're crazy like me and you just gotta have that rumble, but you only have an XInput controller (360, xbone), then just emulate it.


Luckily, I am using ShadowPlay for recording, which is GPU-based. I would hope my 780 Ti and FX-8350 would be enough for proper emulation. On the point of rumble, I'm not crazy about it but would like it. I'd be more concerned about tight controls than rumble functioning.

View PostCheatFreak, on 11 February 2016 - 11:12 PM, said:

Well, I know if you want a Sonic Heroes patch, you can use this to get widescreen and custom resolutions: https://thirteenag.g...wfp#sonicheroes
Sonic Riders on PC is hex editable to any resolution you want: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/sonic-riders [ninja'd by SF94]

Sonic Adventure DX 2004 has the Mod Loader, and SA2 supports most resolutions, iirc.


Awesome, thanks for the links. I never knew about the Heroes mod.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users