Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Yakuza General - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Yakuza General 0, Kiwami, and 6 all coming west

#16 User is online JaxTH 

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
Deep Silver? Doesn't that technically mean it was handed to Atlus?

#17 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostJaxTH, on 03 December 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

Deep Silver? Doesn't that technically mean it was handed to Atlus?

Sega America and Atlus USA are one and the same. Atlus USA has been handling Sega America's localizations, including Yakuza 0, for some time now.

Also, the Deep Silver deal was for both Atlus USA and Sega-branded games. So from now on, most of Sega's more niche Japanese games will likely be published by Deep Silver in Europe. This is because Sega Europe now mainly focuses on digital PC games.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 04 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

#18 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:The Bancast, Lone Stars, LOVE
  • Wiki edits:30
I'm STOKED about Kiwami and 6 getting announced. I expected 6, but not Kiwami. I've got Zero pre-ordered, I'm on Chapter 10 of Yakuza 2, and I have 3-5 ready to go when I finish 2.

I've fallen in love with this series. So good.

#19 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

• Wiki edits:6
I got a chance to play Yakuza 0 at PSX yesterday. Overall it was as expected based on seeing previous videos about the game. I'll buy it.

The one thing that surprised me about it was the map. You invoke it via the PS4 touch pad, but the neat part is that it supports pinch to zoom and you pan the map iPad style by moving your finger along the touchpad. I don't remember reading about that online and I thought it was one of the most useful ways I've ever seen the touchpad on the controller used.

I've got a video of the live crowd reaction to the announcements of the new ones, might post it to YouTube if anyone is interested. I was too busy watching the trailers that I didn't notice my camera wasn't pointing at the screen for half of it though.
This post has been edited by sonicblur: 04 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

#20 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
Also did not expect Kiwami, but am so glad we're getting it. It's insane that we waited 3 years for 5, and now we have 3 games planned over roughly the next 1.5 years or so. I was very worried this series would stay in Japan after 5, bless whatever strings were pulled to allow this to happen.

My final dream is for Y2 to get a Kiwami styled remake, or for Y2 to be put on the PS2 On PS4 program. That game is ridiculously expensive second-hand.
This post has been edited by Mykonos: 04 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

#21 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostMykonos, on 04 December 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

I was very worried this series would stay in Japan after 5, bless whatever strings were pulled to allow this to happen.

Atlus happened. :v:

From the article I linked earlier:

Sega notes that since Atlus U.S.A. integrated with Sega of America, Atlus expertise has allowed it to localize popular Japanese titles in the west, including Yakuza and Hatsune Miku games.

#22 User is online JaxTH 

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.

View PostMykonos, on 04 December 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

My final dream is for Y2 to get a Kiwami styled remake

The Yakuza team wants to do this actually. They also once said they'd like to do a 3-5 collection afterwards.

Don't remember how long ago that was though.

#23 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:08 PM

Well, if 6 is the final game in the series, and they want to keep milking this cow, then a Yakuza 2 remake seems like the next step.

Then again, they have continued the series despite it having gotten an ending before.

#24 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

Reviews for Yakuza 0 are incredible positive so far. Probably the best reception the series has gotten so far.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 19 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

#25 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
For some reason I find the Yakuza games hard to follow. It's fun as hell beating people up, but I lost track of what I was doing in Yakuza 1, and then I decided I would just try a later Yakuza game that was a bit more refined. Which...I found hard to do, because there's a bunch of things I don't understand going on.

I guess I'm asking for a recommendation. I nibbled Yakuza 1 and liked it. Which one should I try next? And also a plot synopsis that doesn't require 3 hours of Wikia trawling to unravel would be perf.

EDIT: LOL NEVERMIND. I should've pieced together that Yakuza Kiwami is basically exactly what I need to get back into the series. Don't mind me, just the resident idiot doing his thing.
This post has been edited by Aerosol: 20 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

#26 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostAerosol, on 20 January 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

For some reason I find the Yakuza games hard to follow. It's fun as hell beating people up, but I lost track of what I was doing in Yakuza 1, and then I decided I would just try a later Yakuza game that was a bit more refined. Which...I found hard to do, because there's a bunch of things I don't understand going on.

I guess I'm asking for a recommendation. I nibbled Yakuza 1 and liked it. Which one should I try next? And also a plot synopsis that doesn't require 3 hours of Wikia trawling to unravel would be perf.

EDIT: LOL NEVERMIND. I should've pieced together that Yakuza Kiwami is basically exactly what I need to get back into the series. Don't mind me, just the resident idiot doing his thing.

Yakuza 0 might actually be a better place to start. It's a prequel to the first game, and iirc Kiwami adds stuff that references 0. It also seems to be one of the best games in the series yet, at least going by how positive reviewers are about it.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 20 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

#27 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

• つづく
  • Project:Diva
Playing the shit out of 0. So far I actually prefer 4, which is the only other game I've played (not counting Dead Souls, which is basically a mod for 4). That isn't saying much, though, since I really love this one too.

#28 User is offline Neo Hazard 

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

I did a thing about this game.

Good lord I cannot wait for Kiwami now. Here's hoping there's a way to play 2 - 5 on PS4 before 6 comes out (PSNow....?)

#29 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
https://twitter.com/...443744933064704

LittleKuriboh (@yugiohtas)

I'd like to thank @SEGA for including a reference to my show in the translation of Yakuza 0. Huge honor to even be alluded to.

Posted Image

#30 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

• つづく
  • Project:Diva
On that note my biggest gripe about the game is the clear liberties they took with the translation. Localization is a meme that needs to die.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users