Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Shenmue 3 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Shenmue 3 But only if you fund it yourselves says Sega...

#196 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:05 AM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostDigitalDuck, on 04 February 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

Gameplay-wise, Yakuza is more comparable to Bayonetta or Sleeping Dogs.

This is like saying Sonic and Bubsy aren't comparable, and that Bubsy is more comparable to Tomb Raider. These games have nothing in common except for that they are all, at least partially, beat em ups. Mechanically they are each incredibly different.

I'm not going to say that Shenmue and Yakuza are the same game, they both clearly focus on completely different things for the main gameplay. But overall they have enough similarities for people to compare them, and for Yakuza to basically be "Shenmue but without the tedious stuff and more fun stuff" to people.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 04 February 2017 - 05:31 AM

#197 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostAerosol, on 04 February 2017 - 12:19 AM, said:

The reason people compare Yakuza to Shenmue is precisely because of the shared "life simulator" parts of the gameplay.

So they're both like Sonic Adventure? That has an (A-)life simulator part too!

Why not compare Jet Set Radio to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater while you're at it?

View PostAerosol, on 04 February 2017 - 12:19 AM, said:

And if you spend your time in GTA driving around and shooting at other cars, you're playing it very wrong. The comparison you're looking for is Mario Kart and Twisted Metal, friend.

It's a sandbox game, don't tell me how to play it. Actually I usually spend my time driving along the pavement at high speed. :v:

View PostTimmiT, on 04 February 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

This is like saying Sonic and Bubsy aren't comparable, and that Bubsy is more comparable to Tomb Raider. These games have nothing in common except for that they are all, at least partially, beat em ups. Mechanically they are each incredibly different.

No, it's not. It's like saying Sonic and Halo aren't comparable, and that Sonic is more comparable to Tomb Raider.

I'm not saying Yakuza is like Bayonetta at all. I'm saying it's more like Bayonetta than it is Shenmue. Because both Yakuza and Bayonetta are beat-'em-ups, and Shenmue is a life simulator.

View PostTimmiT, on 04 February 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

I'm not going to say that Shenmue and Yakuza are the same game, they both clearly focus on completely different things for the main gameplay. But overall they have enough similarities for people to compare them, and for Yakuza to basically be "Shenmue but without the tedious stuff and more fun stuff" to people.

They have similarities, sure. Yakuza is not "a modern Shenmue", though.

#198 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostDigitalDuck, on 07 February 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm not saying Yakuza is like Bayonetta at all. I'm saying it's more like Bayonetta than it is Shenmue. Because both Yakuza and Bayonetta are beat-'em-ups, and Shenmue is a life simulator.

Yakuza is not solely a beat-em-up though. Parts of it are, but then also a huge part of the games (as of Yakuza 0) is exploring the cities, coming across NPCs who have their own stories going on, managing your business, passing the time in arcades (with actual Sega arcade games), karaoke bars, discos, bowling alleys, and so on. The most appealing thing about Yakuza 0 in particular for a lot of people is exploring the world and the stories within it. All of the pieces for a life simulator are there. Yakuza has enough of Shenmue in it to the point where if you'd make it so you have to do everything at a certain time of the day and toned the amount of beat em up sections way down, that it really would feel like a spiritual successor to Shenmue.

I agree that Yakuza isn't really all that much like Shenmue cause again, the games focus on different things. But it's not like it's that hard to see why people would compare it to Shenmue.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 07 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

#199 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostTimmiT, on 07 February 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

Yakuza is not solely a beat-em-up though. Parts of it are, but then also a huge part of the games (as of Yakuza 0) is exploring the cities, coming across NPCs who have their own stories going on, managing your business, passing the time in arcades (with actual Sega arcade games), karaoke bars, discos, bowling alleys, and so on. The most appealing thing about Yakuza 0 in particular for a lot of people is exploring the world and the stories within it. All of the pieces for a life simulator are there. Yakuza has enough of Shenmue in it to the point where if you'd make it so you have to do everything at a certain time of the day and toned the amount of beat em up sections way down, that it really would feel like a spiritual successor to Shenmue.

That's fair enough.

#200 User is offline Andeh 

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

• Derp herp.
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostSir_mihael, on 28 January 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

A bit unrelated, but since there's no Shenmue 3 news of recent, and for those who want to play Shenmue 1 and 2 and don't quite want to hang around for a possible may-or-may-not-happen HD port (and have dying Dreamcasts like mine that seems to struggle with most discs ;)/> ), both games play more or less spot-on on the Demul Emulator now. I was surprised to see Digital Foundry even praised it in one of their recent vids: https://youtu.be/7HNOSQqoUcg
Not sure how high the requirements are, but I gave it a try on my rig and got pretty blown away by the fact it just... plays! With no apparent glitches that pop up with the usual PS2/GCN emulation. Only downside is the lack of upscale options, but if you're looking for a good way to preserve the accuracy of the experience (down to even the Arcade games running perfectly), I'm recommending it.

Not hearing the Dreamcast wrestle with disc-loading between areas has been a life-changer.

Of course, if Shenmue I and II do get the HD re-release treatmend, abandon this post and go the legit route.

There's also a widescreen fix here that makes it look really nice. I'm finally able to play using Demul instead of NullDC, and it's so much more stable, but it needs a lot of resources. Use the older DX11 plugin to get the ability to increase the internal resolution by 3x if your pc can handle it.

Here it is running on my PC: https://www.youtube....h?v=-ZdL1pfBVSo

#201 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostAndeh, on 07 February 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

There's also a widescreen fix here that makes it look really nice. I'm finally able to play using Demul instead of NullDC, and it's so much more stable, but it needs a lot of resources. Use the older DX11 plugin to get the ability to increase the internal resolution by 3x if your pc can handle it.

Here it is running on my PC: https://www.youtube....h?v=-ZdL1pfBVSo

If possible, you'll probably want to patch your game with the hack in this thread instead:
http://www.shenmuedo...hp?f=37&t=50595
Unless you don't mind the results from your current set-up. The previous widescreen hacks all had different problems with them. The original had some pop-in and crashed 2 of the games cutscenes, the second version which fixed most pop-in had issues with the camera being zoomed wrong in battles and when buying things. Haven't played with the latest yet, but it supposedly fixes all pop-in.

In Shenmue 3 news... There was no update for January, but there wasn't last year either. Also, even though they showed the game during a presentation at MAGIC last year, they haven't announced any plans to show it this year and Yu Suzuki will not be attending. The guy who runs that conference is also president of the company co-producing the game, and he was the one who said on Twitter last fall that they were targeting December for a trailer. He hasn't provided any news on that front lately, probably due to the number of people disappointed when we didn't get a trailer in December. I personally think they're going to have to finish that soon, or it's going to appear like they're behind schedule.

The company running the kickstarter confirmed to a backer that they plan to offer add-ons (such as buying both platforms) when it gets closer to survey time later this year. This was something I had actually been hoping for, because I want to buy both the PS4 and PC releases. I didn't want to double-back (pledge separately on PayPal in addition to my existing Kickstarter backing) to avoid duplicate rewards.

#202 User is offline Andeh 

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

• Derp herp.
  • Wiki edits:4
Ahh, I skipped over the topic because I can't read. This doesn't account for Shenmue II though. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: There's this thing called reading the thread, too. There's a fix for II in there.
This post has been edited by Andeh: 08 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

• 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users