Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Shenmue 3 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 14 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Shenmue 3 But only if you fund it yourselves says Sega...

#16 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

• WRONG PLAY BAD BOYZ KICK YOUR ASS
  • Wiki edits:6
My first thoughts?

Maybe there will be an arcade that has more modern SEGA classics like Daytona USA 2 playable...(although not a Yu Suzuki game)

Seems like a good opportunity for that.

#17 User is offline Saidian 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:36 PM

• Project:Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
All 4 $10,000 Rewards are gone already

Aaaaaand there goes the $1,000,000 mark. At some point we'll actually start talking about something other than live updating a Kickstarter :v:

#18 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Definitely preaching against the choir on this one, but I think this conversation would inevitably happen, hype or no hype. This is a real sketch move on Sony's part to premiere a kickstarter on stage at E3. I'm 100% not comfortable with that. Do not get me wrong, I may not be a Shenmue fan (I've never played it so hey, I'm more a potential one to be honest), but I'm very happy you guys are finally getting that big number 3 you've been hoping for all these years. Now I know you all would have donated this money in a heartbeat, Sony's announce or not, but I feel like Sony is using a hypetrain to have their marketing costs covered for a game that, while a PC release as well, will help move their product(s). It feels extremely dirty and I can't be a part of it. It would have been better had they gone the Mighty No. 9 (ugh bad example) or Bloodborne path (MUCH BETTER example).

Despite all that. Fuck yes. Shenmue 3 is a thing now and I'm feeling compelled to actually go ahead and play the first 2 for epic forklift shenanigans. :v:
This post has been edited by Tanks: 15 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

#19 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I think it's pretty scummy of Sony as well. It makes me even less of a fan of theirs. I'm hopeful that because of the funding from the kickstarter, Suzuki and co will really be able to give the game the attention it deserves though.

#20 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:13 PM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
As an indicator of how big a deal this is, I have not yet watched the Game of Thrones season 5 finale, and am instead completely mesmerised by watching the pledge total tick its way up towards "funded"

#21 User is offline Rockman Zero 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

• Hello there, my little friend.
  • Project:Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
I immediately pledged 29 dollars. This will be a success tomorrow.

#22 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:20 PM

View PostTanks, on 15 June 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

Sony's announce or not, but I feel like Sony is using a hypetrain to have their marketing costs covered for a game that, while a PC release as well, will help move their product(s). It feels extremely dirty and I can't be a part of it.

View PostTurbohog, on 15 June 2015 - 10:44 PM, said:

I think it's pretty scummy of Sony as well. It makes me even less of a fan of theirs. I'm hopeful that because of the funding from the kickstarter, Suzuki and co will really be able to give the game the attention it deserves though.

While I agree that Sony should have funded some of it, I don't hold any of this against them. (For all we know, maybe there is more to this than we know so far.) It was unlikely that any publisher would want to fund the game. It didn't sell well on Dreamcast or XBOX and lost Sega lot of money. With Sony giving it some time at the E3 press conference, they at least offered the exposure that the kickstarter wouldn't have gotten otherwise by itself. Over the next 30 days, I think it will become clear what involvement Sony has, or lack thereof.

Anyway, my personal wish list:
- Physical PS4 release. (Probably will happen)
- Ports of 1 and 2 with widescreen. Higher resolution models and textures would be nice, if they exist. (We know the more detailed character models exist at least, since Shenmue Passport used them)
- Character models closer to the original
- More behind the scenes stuff. The GDC presentation last year was neat. Maybe a documentary?

Shenmue 2 was my most-played Dreamcast game. I don't really think anything they can do now can live up to that, but it will be nice to see the story finished. The 3 areas they've revealed sound fairly rural, which doesn't give them a lot of opportunity to re-create one of my favorite things about the 1st, and especially the 2nd game. That to me was the cities, with all of the shops you could go into, and things to see. I'm not sure if there's really an area appropriate for another arcade, but I hope so. I'm expecting more street gambling again.

#23 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:33 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.

View Postdoc eggfan, on 15 June 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

You'd imagine they must be involved in some way - Who owns the rights?

At the least it would be a Bayonetta 2 type situation.

#24 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:37 PM

• Welcome to the nExt level
  • Project:Taking control of my life
Sony probably IS funding this- I doubt the budget'll be just 2 millions. Instead, this is probably just to prove there's demand for it.

#25 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:11 AM

• On a neverending quest to find the Oldbie Lounge
  • Project:Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3
  • Wiki edits:136
SEGA is licensing the project, according to the press release.

#26 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:20 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
Dropped $500 on this baby

#27 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:40 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostThe KKM, on 15 June 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

Sony probably IS funding this- I doubt the budget'll be just 2 millions. Instead, this is probably just to prove there's demand for it.

That's my biggest fear. It's likely the game is already in development and the crowd funding is basically to line Sony's pockets. I mean, it could very well be the only option the team had for official funding from Sony was 2mil upfront so who knows what the case was. Or maybe Sony was just kindly lending a platform to promote the kickstarter (higly doubt it...).

I was lamenting earlier in irc that it's too bad we don't have a true industry watchdog. I mean this sort of thing is what journalists would look into, but all we have are blogs who will simply fuel the hype train because that's all they know how to do. These are only suspicions of course, but this is potential abuse (if not legally, then morally) of the crowd funding system and I'd think any savvy journalist would at least cut through the hype to see what exactly went down here.

#28 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k

View Postsonicblur, on 15 June 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:

Shenmue 2 was my most-played Dreamcast game. I don't really think anything they can do now can live up to that, but it will be nice to see the story finished. The 3 areas they've revealed sound fairly rural, which doesn't give them a lot of opportunity to re-create one of my favorite things about the 1st, and especially the 2nd game. That to me was the cities, with all of the shops you could go into, and things to see. I'm not sure if there's really an area appropriate for another arcade, but I hope so. I'm expecting more street gambling again.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off the next city until Shenmue IV? Remember Shenmue was supposed to have 16 chapters, and we're only up to 5.

#29 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:34 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Well, it's finally happening. I bet Sega PR are pleased if for no other reason than the spam on their social media will now just be PSO2 based. =P

Kickstarter's now just short of $1.5 million, still not 8 hours in.

#30 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:37 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostOverlord, on 16 June 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Well, it's finally happening. I bet Sega PR are pleased if for no other reason than the spam on their social media will now just be PSO2 based. =P

Kickstarter's now just short of $1.5 million, still not 8 hours in.

The fastest video game kickstarter in history, second fastest kickstarter period.

Amazing response to a legendary game maker.

• 14 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users