Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 29 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources The child of Colors and the Hedgehog Engine

#1 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
So there's a PC version of this game apparently.

Tools
CPKREDIR: To be able to load and modify files without touching the CPK files.

LibGens: Tools to work with formats from Unleashed / Generations / Lost World.

SonicGLvl-lostworld: A modified branch of SonicGLvl 0.9 by Paraxade to work with Lost World. Heavily unfinished & experimental (like regular GLVL is), but it's possible to work with it.

A lot of the research from Generations applies to Lost World, so you might want to look at the SCHG page for it.

Older thread below spoiler:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dario FF: 01 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

#2 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
Just read through it all, very interesting stuff. Hopefully this all will be useful when it's possible to mess around more with the Wii U.

#3 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

• Project:Construct stuff
I'd actually be interested in seeing Prince of Persia (Sands of Time quadrilogy or the reboot) or Darksiders II levels ported over for funsies, due to the parkour stuff. Granted, Lost World's parkour is somewhat more simplistic, but still.

#4 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Absolutely fascinating stuff. The fact it's already so compatible with existing extraction tools (which does make a degree of sense) should help lots down the road when this game's at a point of being modded for new levels.

#5 User is offline Joe T.E. 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

• All life form data, successfully copied!
  • Project:Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)

View PostDario FF, on 01 January 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

Pac Pack Files (.pac): Seems like a new package format in place of .arc or .ar. This format is more complicated than it looks at first glance compared to any package format I've ever seen. The main problem that comes from it is that some certain file formats that are packed inside (.effect files, etc.), end up sharing their strings and offset table with the entire pac file. This makes it a huge pain to make a reliable extractor and repacker as the files have to be basically rebuilt. Luckily they don't need to be cracked, as the offset table in the pac file is all the information needed to fix this. I now have a working PAC extractor/repacker (that I hope to be able to test in the future in the console) that automatically appends some metadata to the affected file formats inside and allows them to be properly repacked.

Hmm...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl also had a .pac file format, which has been fully cracked for quite a few years (I'd know since I've dealt with that format numerous times while making mods for Brawl.)

The reason I'm mentioning this is because Brawl (if I recall correctly) was the only Wii game to use the .pac format, AND was also (if I recall correctly) the only Wii game to use the Havok physics engine. There may be a connection between the .pac format and Havok (at least on Nintendo's consoles.)

Because of this, I'm wondering if Lost World's .pac format might be the same one used in Brawl (or, at least, an updated variant of it.) I wouldn't be too surprised since I've heard that some of the other common Wii U formats (like bfstm music files) are just updated Wii formats.

Also, everything else mentioned isn't surprising me too much, but is still good to hear. I'd definitely be interested in modding the game sometime in the future.

#6 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

• Tech Support Hotline

View PostJoe T.E., on 01 January 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl also had a .pac file format, which has been fully cracked for quite a few years (I'd know since I've dealt with that format numerous times while making mods for Brawl.)

It's just a coincidence in the extension, the formats are completely different, so there's not many conclusions to draw from it. Further evidence is the .pac files use the offset table/header that other Sega games have used in the past (The ones that say 1BBINA).

#7 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
While I understand that we shouldn't back port levels for many reasons, any chance of a Lost World model mod? In particular I just like Modern Sonic's classic like standing pose. This is all very cool stuff though!

Also this gives me some hope because it probably means that the Generations team is working on something, and I'm excited to find out what it is (as long as it's not that mobile game...). Despite it's flaws, I thought Unleashed was a fun game, and Generations was just great.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 01 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

#8 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

• Tech Support Hotline

View PostDark Sonic, on 01 January 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

While I understand that we shouldn't back port levels for many reasons, any chance of a Lost World model mod? In particular I just like Modern Sonic's classic like standing pose. This is all very cool stuff though!

Sure, I believe Zoney intends to release the mod from the two videos up above. The rigs are almost the exact same in both games so the animations work pretty well.

Also this gives me some hope because it probably means that the Generations team is working on something, and I'm excited to find out what it is (as long as it's not that mobile game...). Despite it's flaws, I thought Unleashed was a fun game, and Generations was just great.

That's what gives me hope for the next title as well.

#9 User is offline Joe T.E. 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

• All life form data, successfully copied!
  • Project:Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)

View PostDario FF, on 01 January 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostJoe T.E., on 01 January 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

It's just a coincidence in the extension, the formats are completely different, so there's not many conclusions to draw from it. Further evidence is the .pac files use the offset table/header that other Sega games have used in the past (The ones that say 1BBINA).

Oh well. It's still a really odd coincidence, but it's always good to get these things cleared up as soon as possible. Thanks for clearing that up, Dario.

Also, you didn't mention anything about the game's audio formats in your opening post. Am I right to assume that the game is using the same audio formats as Unleashed/Colors/Generations? (assuming the audio was in the early dump you received, of course.)

#10 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"

On top of that, provided they haven't been called upon to work on other projects in the interim, it means that they've been developing for almost four years at this point. Unless there are massive setbacks and problems, I'm excited for what that could mean.

These discoveries are quite fascinating, more for the modding possibilities than the actual game itself. I'm excited to see the possibilities of new levels taking advantage of the mechanics of Lost World without the round tube gimmick applied to everything.

#11 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

• Tech Support Hotline

View PostJoe T.E., on 01 January 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Also, you didn't mention anything about the game's audio formats in your opening post. Am I right to assume that the game is using the same audio formats as Unleashed/Colors/Generations? (assuming the audio was in the early dump you received, of course.)

It's .acb and .awb files, which AFAIK are possible to rip without much trouble. I will ask if I can upload them. (Stuff that isn't the soundtrack that is already out)
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 01 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

#12 User is offline Azookara 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
I wonder if Sonic's movement in the game really is as binary as it feels. If it's not, it'd be neat if (when we get to the point of being able to mess with physics variables and junk) we can make Sonic accelerate naturally to top speed without needing the run button. Or better yet, make it so that Sonic doesn't stop on the ground or air on a dime. That'd be nicer than porting levels, to be honest, but I'll gladly take both.

Can't wait til the SLW model gets a public release, either. Gonna have a lot of fun with that, especially if the jump ball model and the figure eight thing for his feet comes with it. :J

#13 User is offline Paraxade 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Something silly Dario missed is that textures are labeled with the extension ".dds"; however, they're not actually DDS files. They're Nintendo's GTX texture format, which is commonly used in a lot of Wii U games. Apparently Sega just couldn't be bothered to change the file extension.

#14 User is offline Twilightzoney 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

• Project:Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
But Dario did see in the game files that there were regular DDS files that get loaded in the game. So we think that we can be able to load normal DDS files without them having to be GTX file format at all. We'll find out soon hopefully.

And there is no current way to repack the sound files for the awb/acb files yet. And not all the acb files are extractable for some reason in Sonic Lost World compared to that of Sonic Booms.

Regarding the Sonic Lost World Model Mod, I'll be releasing it once I get the rest of the models ported over for it so he can run with his figure 8 stuff and get the sound effects ported over as well for it.
This post has been edited by Twilightzoney: 01 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

#15 User is offline Shakidna 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

• Rehash Rampage
  • Wiki edits:1
Can you get clean rips of the music? Hopefully the Yoshi's Island Music doesn't have the sfx baked in.

• 29 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users