Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: I picked up the Sega Genesis Classic Game Console with the 80 built in - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

I picked up the Sega Genesis Classic Game Console with the 80 built in I wanted to give you all a warning.

#61 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Yeah, it's like that on the Sega Genesis portable too. Some characters don't show up. And the amount of characters is limited so you have to carefully name your files. Makes putting ROM hacks on there hard. For all the Sonic hacks I put S1 S2 S3 etc at the beginning to organize it and to indicate what game it was a hack of.

#62 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:45 AM

When I go to the SD Card on the menu the games are not in any kind of order and games that have a dot in the name AKA B.O.B is just B in the list so I have to edit my game names.
So they assume everything after the first dot is just the filename extension and trim it. That is pure lazyness.

#63 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:03 AM

View PostMathUser, on 19 September 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Dunno if you guys know about this, but the Classic Game Console has a flashcart:

http://www.atgames.u...port-FBC110.htm

I doubt saving works, but if you got the console it would help you get more out of it. Just gotta buy a SD card then.

I'm wondering if it's something like flashcart for Revo K101 (you can upload roms, it's in the shape of original cartridge, but working only on Revo), or some cheap version of everdrives, maybe even the same thing which is available to buy on websites with chinese* stuff. Probably the last one (I wouldn't be surprised, many stuff sold by Atgames is available in chinese seller's offer, it's literally the same thing, just with different stickers and rom set in device's memory.

*Like AliExpress, Geekbuying etc.

#64 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

I don't suppose anyone knows what games are in the 2016 version of the portable do they? I hear the portable version supports save games this time but I don't know what games those are. Or if saving will work with SD card games.

Edit: I found the game differnces:

http://armchairarcad...ncludes-videos/

Only the included RPG's have save game support. SD card games don't.
This post has been edited by MathUser: 03 October 2016 - 08:59 AM

#65 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:44 PM

• Wiki edits:41
Shit, the sound emulation is just awful, especially for 3D Blast. You'd think they would have mostly perfected it by now, especially with the Mini-NES as competition this time.

#66 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:50 PM

Next year they are gonna try to add save states, but probably not SRAM support for SD games. But at least you'll still be able to save in a way! I wish they would fix the sound emulation though.

#67 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:11 AM

• Project:N/A
  • Wiki edits:30
At this point, I'm sure that they just can't be bothered to fix the sound emulation as they don't see it as a worthwhile investment.

Shitty too, because if care was put into these things they could really be worth picking up.

#68 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:41 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostKrigo, on 07 October 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

At this point, I'm sure that they just can't be bothered to fix the sound emulation as they don't see it as a worthwhile investment.

Shitty too, because if care was put into these things they could really be worth picking up.

Basically this, the sound is the only real problem I have with the units. You'd have thought someone would have had a word with them by now, but nope. R&D's been done, stuck with what we've got :(

#69 User is offline kazblox 

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

• Project:Sonic 3?
Speaking of sound emulation, I wonder what's in the hardware of those "Classic Game Consoles". The plug and play and the portable designs seem to be two of the many variations of the hardware, all spun off from a certain design which was probably created/licensed by AtGames... The Gopher, the Arcade Series, Genesis Gencore, GenMobile, Mega Drive Twin Pads all use the same crappy console-on-a-chip design with various extensions such as RF/wireless communication and a Secure Digital bus. Unironically, some of the newer(?) Arcade Portable models seem to have corrected FM sound!

Research is conflicting for the correct answer, though. Some people have said that AtGames GOACs run with built in 68k, Z80 and FM implementations, ala RedKid, while some people said that the hardware runs on a emulator with a 68000/Z80 interpreter for ARM.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/126333-new-at-games-genesismegadrive/page-2#entry2829314

If the AtGames GOACs are truly native hardware with no emulation, then how would that explain AtGames's SMS/GG on a Chip? People report that they also run on discrete hardware implementations too; the Noza.

By the way, I own three "SMS/GG on a Chip" based consoles... The implementation of the PSG sound isn't that extremely bad on all of them. The only cons about it is that they have a slightly distorted amp and the pitch is one note off. Still better than the GOACs, though, which of course are miles away from the correct frequency. All designs of both the GOAC/SGOAC consoles seem to have a ROM contained in an epoxy blob, so it's almost impossible to replace it.
This post has been edited by kazblox: 11 October 2016 - 10:25 AM

#70 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postkazblox, on 09 October 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

By the way, I own three SGOAC based consoles... The PSG sound isn't that bad on all of them, except that it has a slightly distorted amp and the pitch is one tone off.

That already sounds pretty bad on paper...

#71 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
I found a IPS patch that makes Ristar sound correct on Firecore devices here. Just patch a Ristar U/E ROM and it will sound like it should.

The same guy behind that IPS patch also did a "menu hack" in June 2016 where he tried to make the music sound much more tolerable:

To do this hack, download the menu hack files, on your SD card change the "GAME" folder to "ROMS" and make a new "GAME" Folder with the menu files. Then go to the SD card and select the menu files till one works.
This post has been edited by RGamer2009: 06 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

#72 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

Finally! It took too long. This years models of Genesis portables are supposed to have better emulation.

• 5 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users