Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: I picked up the Sega Genesis Classic Game Console with the 80 built in - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

I picked up the Sega Genesis Classic Game Console with the 80 built in I wanted to give you all a warning.

#31 User is offline Impish 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

• Wiki edits:7

View PostMartiusR, on 29 July 2016 - 04:33 AM, said:

I don't understand though why they still didn't included Sonic 3. It was somehow understandable in previous editions without save feature (that they didn't want to include game which had showed you save game from the very beginning of the game, but wouldn't work), but since they've figured out how to pass it in case of pre-loaded Phantasy Star and Sword of Vermilion, couldn't be the same/similar method used for Sonic 3 to add it to available (pre-loaded) titles?

Probably something to do with qhy we rarely see ports or rereleases of Sonic 3 generally. I think the common theory is the music licensing rights, and the fact no one is quite certain if MJ had anything to do with them, and how that would effect them legally.

#32 User is offline 360 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Thanks for the heads up! I've always been interested in the reproduction consoles but it sounds it might not be the best idea to buy one. I bought a Sega Genesis handheld for my Nephew once (I believe it was produced by Blaze if I'm recalling correctly) and that was pretty good. Not sure if the sound core was nerfed but he seemed to enjoy using it.

I wonder if there's any decent Genesis reproduction consoles out there - or are they all low quality like this one?

#33 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
They're pretty much all made by the same manufacturer, so they all have the same flaw, sadly. It's a shame.

#34 User is offline 360 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive

View PostOverlord, on 13 August 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

They're pretty much all made by the same manufacturer, so they all have the same flaw, sadly. It's a shame.

Man that is a shame. Perhaps Sega should take a leaf out of Nintendo's book and produce something official. Now that would be amazing to see.

#35 User is offline Retroman 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

• Unlike Sonic, I chuckle. Then I flex my muscles.

View Post360, on 13 August 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

Man that is a shame. Perhaps Sega should take a leaf out of Nintendo's book and produce something official. Now that would be amazing to see.

Kinda reminds me of Nintendo's re-release mini NES console, except nintendo makes it unable to play any cartridge games, and no power supply so it only connects via usb for power
This post has been edited by Retroman: 14 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

#36 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View Post360, on 13 August 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

Sega isn't producing these, nor do they really have anything to do with this. Sega is simply licensing their brand to AtGames for these machines. It would be AtGames taking a leaf out of Nintendo's book.

#37 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostOverlord, on 28 July 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

Actually I never thought the video quality was that bad... the sound though, that needs redoing from the ground up.

I've heard that with a bit of soldering you can improve things (and by that I mean, make a few connections as opposed to putting in a totally different motherboard that doesn't suck). Unless that was one of the non-cartridge ones.

Still, AtGames have been producing these things for the best part of ten years - I'd be curious to know whether there's been any meaningful changes to the hardware over that time. I mean it's really really obvious that Sonic 1 doesn't sound right and that's a flagship product.

#38 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 14 August 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

View PostOverlord, on 28 July 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

Actually I never thought the video quality was that bad... the sound though, that needs redoing from the ground up.

I've heard that with a bit of soldering you can improve things (and by that I mean, make a few connections as opposed to putting in a totally different motherboard that doesn't suck). Unless that was one of the non-cartridge ones.

Still, AtGames have been producing these things for the best part of ten years - I'd be curious to know whether there's been any meaningful changes to the hardware over that time. I mean it's really really obvious that Sonic 1 doesn't sound right and that's a flagship product.

I very much doubt the SOAC design has changed at all during the course of these product's lives, but whats worse is that this product doesn't have to be terrible. You can put together a raspberry pi portable at off the shelf prices for about the same cost as this handheld that would blow it away in quality.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 14 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

#39 User is offline 360 

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive

View PostCooljerk, on 13 August 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

Sega isn't producing these, nor do they really have anything to do with this. Sega is simply licensing their brand to AtGames for these machines. It would be AtGames taking a leaf out of Nintendo's book.

Ah okay cool - thanks for the clarification! Hopefully something more impressive is released soon one day. I'd love to have a decent rendition of the Genesis console that is as close to the original hardware as possible with decent sound. Emulation is cool and all but nothing beats playing on an actual console in front of the television.

#40 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
A fairly large part of me wished they just printed more Genesis IIIs out, using the same ultra-dense SoC they designed by the late 90s. Complete with giant onboard ROMs, ala. the Master System. But, as I learned several days ago, there's a few reasons it's not possible without some redesigning.

Still, a part of me does wonder if such a design could either be adapted for modern fabrication techniques, or the cost of re-adapting the Mega Drive design from scratch, as 99.97% accurate hardware (we noticed you, TAS instruction bugfix!).

#41 User is offline 360 

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
Ah man I remember the Genesis III! I thought it was super cool and slick at the time. I take it they're out of production probably forever ago correct?

#42 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:16 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
Since 2001, at absolute absolute latest. More likely since '98-'99.

#43 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Not to mention the design never left the USA - I only picked up one for my own set when I was last in the US in 2014.

#44 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Yup, didn't see one till I was in the U.S. either. Almost snagged it, then remembered I preferred my model 1 at home.

Speaking of, I need to find another one of those one I finish rearranging the furniture in this room.

#45 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

• Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22
In fact Tectoy Mega Drive 3s are pretty much like the Genesis 3. The problem is that PAL-M (not PAL) is only used here, so you would need to set your television to PAL-M or open the unit and remove the NTSC2PAL-M converter.

And with the later units they just removed the cart slot and did something different (aka this shitty version) with the same name lol.
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 16 August 2016 - 10:18 PM

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users