Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: I picked up the Sega Genesis Classic Game Console with the 80 built in - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

I picked up the Sega Genesis Classic Game Console with the 80 built in I wanted to give you all a warning.

#16 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:56 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
One advantage the AtGames handheld has that DS/phone emulators don't is the glorious six-button controller layout.

That alone was worth it for me. Slightly iffy sound and graphics be damned.

(Also, it actually fixes a sprite priority bug in Sonic 3 & Knuckles - although purely by coincidence.)

#17 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
You do know that most advanced mobile emulators support some sort of physical controller, right? May not be quite as convenient as the AtGames handhelds or a Nomad, but smartphones/tablets have a lot more uses than just emulation, battery life is generally longer (especially compared to the Nomad), and the screens are generally higher wuality (especially with Apple devices, or the higher-end Android devices).

#18 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostLocalH, on 23 December 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

You do know that most advanced mobile emulators support some sort of physical controller, right?

Sure, but rarely do they fit in the pocket, rarely are they decent six-button controllers, and never do they fulfil both conditions while being cheaper than the AG.

battery life is generally longer

The AG has a 30-40 hour battery life. I've never had a phone that can emulate the MD that would last 1/4 of that in use.

and the screens are generally higher wuality (especially with Apple devices, or the higher-end Android devices).

Not usually a problem when it comes to Mega Drive games.

#19 User is offline trykaar 

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:57 PM

• Project:Sega Roguelike Exploration/Disassembly
I picked up the handheld version with SD card slot from Bed Bath and Beyond recently, list price there is $40 but 20% off coupons are quite common. I'm pretty happy with it for the $30 or so I paid overall; it's less worrisome and more convenient to take out than my Nomad and cheaper than an Everdrive.

The sound quality is fairly poor as would be expected, there is no save capability, and there is some ghosting on the screen that is more or less noticeable depending on what you're doing (I've noticed it most on intro cutscenes, not as much during actual gameplay). However, it feels a lot more solidly built than I would have expected, the battery life is pretty good, and I've found the SD card compatibility to be quite good with the games and hacks I've tried- the only one that hasn't worked of those I've tried is Game no Kanzume Otokuyou, it get to the title screen but won't go any further. There is no "mode" button (though Golden Axe II that's included seems to work fine) and no "reset" button. One minor disappointment is that it doesn't play SMS games (or 32X games), but that's not an advertised feature so I didn't really expect it to.

#20 User is offline Thousand Pancake 

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:58 AM

• Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the morning
Lately I've been thinking that Atgames should bump up the clockspeed, allow for loading of foreign native binaries, put out a decent SDK and add a USB port. That could make the handheld versions of these things into nice dollar store equivalents to emulation-focused handhelds such as the GP2X, Dingoo, GCW, etc.

#21 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
Just a question, is it possible to take it apart and correct the sound issues? That would be cool for those that might get one for Christmas.

#22 User is offline Caniad Bach 

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

• is a peanut

View PostRGamer2009, on 25 December 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

Just a question, is it possible to take it apart and correct the sound issues? That would be cool for those that might get one for Christmas.

The emulator is on a single chip, so all taking it apart would do is let you look at it. To fix the sound you'd have to fix the emulator itself, and I have a feeling that the chip used just isn't good enough to emulate the Mega Drive accurately enough.

#23 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

View Posttrykaar, on 24 December 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

I've found the SD card compatibility to be quite good with the games and hacks I've tried- the only one that hasn't worked of those I've tried is Game no Kanzume Otokuyou, it get to the title screen but won't go any further.

Some versions of the OutRun games aren't playable, but each game does run if you can find a working version of it.

#24 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:44 AM

• True Blue
I received the portable 6-button Atgames system as a gift, and was wondering if an SD card hack could allow for saving and maybe an audio fix?

Also (and this one is a long shot) has anyone attempted to make a Genesis ROM that would allow for playing Master System games on a Genesis? What I mean is, could a Genesis rom have whatever code is needed to make a Master System rom run on a Genesis emulator, along with a possible rom selection screen?
Spoiler

This post has been edited by RGamer2009: 02 February 2015 - 01:44 AM

#25 User is offline Caniad Bach 

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:53 AM

• is a peanut
If I remember correctly there are already official carts that do that. The PBC is just an adapter and doesn't contain any hardware other than the cartridge slot, the Mega Drive does all the work. You don't need the power base converter if you're using a flash cart, for example.

However, while it works like that on official hardware, it depends on what hacky methods they used to make the emulator in the first place, it could just crash or not play correctly. As for saving and fixing the audio, it may be possible if you reverse engineered the ATGames software, but I'm not sure anyone's bothered to do so yet. The YM2612 is a tricky beast to emulate, and it could be that the chip doesn't have the power to make that and everything else work correctly.

#26 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

• True Blue
I just had a revelation on how to make Games sound correctly in this device.

It doesn't involve messing with the emulator per se...but the ROMs themselves.

Could a Genesis ROM be altered to sound "bad" normally, and be pitch-corrected inside the emulator to sound correct?

If that is possible, all we would need is a program to "convert" the roms sound pitch into the way that the Firecore emulator sounds correct. Those ROMs will sound wrong in any other emulator, but NOT on the Firecore Emulator.

#27 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:24 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
It's been done once with a Sonic 1 ROM. It sounds much better but there's still other sound issues.

#28 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

• True Blue
So....they are making a new revision of this console for the 25th Anniversary of Sonic:

Posted Image

Apparently they may have actually added something to this version: saving.

On PRWeb, they said the following:

The Genesis Classic Game Console features 80 built-in games and an integrated cartridge port to play almost all of your favorite Sega Genesis and Mega Drive classics. Celebrating Sonic the Hedgehog's 25th Anniversary, a selection of the era's best Sonic games are included, along with all-time favorites such as Mortal Kombat I, II, III and Golden Axe. New for 2016 is save game support for the included Phantasy Star series and Sword of Vermillion role-playing games. Two wireless controllers, styled after the Sega Genesis originals, are included, as well as two legacy controller ports for optional wired gamepads.

If this is true, at least one issue has been corrected. But that still doesn't fix the horrid audio or the crappy video quality.
This post has been edited by RGamer2009: 28 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

#29 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Actually I never thought the video quality was that bad... the sound though, that needs redoing from the ground up.

#30 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:33 AM

This save game feature was planned even previously (in "Mortal Kombat" edition, in fact the same/almost the same one but with different label), both in handheld and "stationary" version, but as I've read in YT comments under reviews, by some reason wasn't implemented into handheld (don't know about stationary version).

I don't understand though why they still didn't included Sonic 3. It was somehow understandable in previous editions without save feature (that they didn't want to include game which had showed you save game from the very beginning of the game, but wouldn't work), but since they've figured out how to pass it in case of pre-loaded Phantasy Star and Sword of Vermilion, couldn't be the same/similar method used for Sonic 3 to add it to available (pre-loaded) titles?

I've never owned "stationary" edition, but handheld is actually not bad. If only there could be solved issue with sound and save games... It would be worth to recommend. It's not an acciddent that almost identical handhelds are sold on AliExpress, but without licences and far cheaper :P

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that HamyGames (chinese producer) actually developed GenMobile (still selling them, without licences, under different name and set of unlicensed games ;P).
This post has been edited by MartiusR: 29 July 2016 - 04:36 AM

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users