Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project v1.0 Available - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 23 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project v1.0 Available Sonic Unleashed stages in Sonic Generations PC, at 60 FPS

#31 User is offline WAC 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

• KITTIES!
  • Project:Kitty Pixel Art
  • Wiki edits:2
So I mentioned the loss of Eggmanland in the other thread, but what was the reason behind its exclusion in this mod? That was one of the stages I was looking forward to playing the most.

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 20 March 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Holy shit my computer cannot handle the Jungle bit of Jungle Joyride.

I was surprised by how badly my computer ran that stage as well, especially because runs vanilla Sonic Generations runs very well for me. Oh well. Years from now when I upgrade my machine, I bet this mod will run fantastic.

Edit-

Just looked at the Read Me and it answered my question. Still, any chance you guys will consider porting Eggmanland? You could always include a message saying some changes needed to be made because of the engine.
This post has been edited by W.A.C.: 20 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

#32 User is offline Falk 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm all for keeping S-Ranks as they are now just to see how things develop over the course of a few months.

#33 User is offline Paraxade 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Dario set the S-rank cutoffs to be about a really good run without skills, I believe? So have you guys tried playing with skills? Should make it a bit easier to S-rank. I definitely recommend you get all the red star rings in Windmill Isle to unlock Acceleration as it makes Sonic move much much faster.
This post has been edited by Paraxade: 20 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

#34 User is offline Jason 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
Found a Wentos in Empire City. Shady character, that Wentos.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Jason: 20 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

#35 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
I'm also not a fan of recommending fxpipeline. It's a nice toy to play with but I think the cons outweigh the pros, with the way motion blur is rendered on Sonic himself and how it completely breaks letterbox mode, and 3D, etc. I think more work should've been put in to fully supporting the default renderer rather than something that isn't all there.

#36 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

• Wiki edits:19
Does Windmill Isle Act 2 have draw-distance/pop-in issues? I seem to notice something awry in the far background during the tri-rail grinding section.

#37 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 20 March 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

I'm also not a fan of recommending fxpipeline. It's a nice toy to play with but I think the cons outweigh the pros, with the way motion blur is rendered on Sonic himself and how it completely breaks letterbox mode, and 3D, etc. I think more work should've been put in to fully supporting the default renderer rather than something that isn't all there.

The motion blur is only bugged if you can't keep a stable framerate. To be honest, fixing this kind of stuff for the general renderer is a bit beyond my level of skill... it requires disassembling and reading a lot of HLSL ASM shaders, and we're talking about hundreds and hundreds of files here. The only way would've been sacrificing material effects everywhere... which would've killed a lot of the visual appeal.

Not to mention Korama's not around, and can't really test my theory I have for actually fixing most of those issues!

All the issues are mentioned in the updated news post, and I understand why people would not want to use it if one of the issues affect them. Doing separate support for the regular renderer would require even a fourth mod, and that's very hard to support/keep synchronized between different builds.

EDIT: PS, We got mirrored over at Atomic Gamer. Added link to OP.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 20 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

#38 User is offline Azu 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

• I must be stupid.
Highest I got was A-Rank on Savanna Citadel. I was off by 11.53 seconds on getting a S. <_<

#39 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
For those of you that still don't have Sonic Generations on PC, you now have no reason not to buy it.

http://store.steampo...nr=1_4_4__106_3

Steam has it for 50% off today, of all days. Go nuts.

#40 User is offline Josh 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
In contrast to what some were saying, I definitely agree with what you guys did about the S-ranks. I know I'm speaking as someone who very much prefers speedrunning to anything else, but I feel like an S-rank SHOULD be reserved for an absolutely near-flawless and efficient run. It's as high as the ranking system goes, and should be very difficult to attain.

Also reporting in that the game runs nearly perfect on my computer, and sticking with the Unleashed renderer, while regrettable for lower-end stuff, was probably the right decision in order to pump out graphics as good as they could be.

#41 User is offline Kampfer 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Great, now you just derailed the research paper I was working on. :v:

I played through it, and I have a few notes.

First, there are a few places where I think there needs to be re-implementation of light dash strings on the ground as a turn assist. The two spots that come to mind are in Arid Sands right after you leave town, the near 90 degree turn before the canyon jump. That string of rings in Unleashed was there to compensate for a poorer drift than Generations has. I know you can drift it much better here, but I think having it as a light dash ring path would be good for if a player messes the drift up and has to re-allign without costing them too much speed (or for non T/A'ers that just want an easier time on that part). The other place is a couple spots on the second water walking section in Jungle Joyride, since it can sometimes be confusing where you turn and how soon (especially if your computer is chugging a little bit like mine).

Also, speaking of Jungle Joyride: the planks sidestepping part seems a lot more picky than in vanilla Unleashed. I never had issues with that part in Unleashed, but in the port I fall off half the time. I dunno if its just me, or what (I'm using the Batarang controller, and admittedly the shoulder bumpers are different than a typical controller). Also, late in the level, where you have the buttons on the rotating stones, I hit it and then I warped through a wall to my death.

In Cool Edge, during the water walking part, at one point Sonic stuck to the geometry before he was suppose to walk on water and went straight into the ocean instead of water walking. Later I can give you a shot of where that is.

Other than those bits, this was a a lot of fun to play! Sonic Generations was one reason I upgraded my computer, and now that you ported the Unleashed levels I think I'll have something else keeping me from getting my research done.

#42 User is offline Paraxade 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

The thing about light dash is it's super buggy in Generations. Basically when you use a light dash trail, after you finish the game will set you to the same direction and speed you had when you began the light dash. Most of the light dashes you could do in Unleashed would fling you into a wall or sometimes actually kill you. That's why most of them are normal rings now, and the majority of the light dash trails that are still in the mod lead into a dash ring or a spring or something. It's just an unfortunate Generations glitch that there isn't really any workaround for for the most part short of removing the light dashes.

#43 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostKampfer, on 20 March 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Also, speaking of Jungle Joyride: the planks sidestepping part seems a lot more picky than in vanilla Unleashed. I never had issues with that part in Unleashed, but in the port I fall off half the time. I dunno if its just me, or what (I'm using the Batarang controller, and admittedly the shoulder bumpers are different than a typical controller).

Pretty sure this is just you.

#44 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
No problems here. S Ranks are a bitch and a half to earn, but I feel that's how they should be. Generations just kinda handed them you like warm cookies from grandma, only instead of chocolate chip or delicious oatmeal raisin, they were this new weird blend she wanted to try.

#45 User is online SuperSonicRider 

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

• Sonic Colors DS enthusiast
  • Wiki edits:101

View PostRGamer2009, on 20 March 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Steam has it for 50% off today, of all days. Go nuts.

Exactly my thoughts! What a coincidence, this sale! :D

Anywho, I picked the mod up a few hours ago; all the work really shows! Something about playing Unleashed in the Generations format (and by that I mean the little things like the HUD, Sonic's drifting animation, etc.) really makes the levels feel more..."alive," for some reason. Maybe that's just me, though.

I've played it up to Dragon Road so far and haven't had any issues. I love all of the attention to detail; from the Wentos cameos, to the little introduction text that you get before you start Windmill Isle Act 2, to the absolutely GORGEOUS looking White World; nothing but love for this mod so far! Major thanks, Team Unleashed! :)

Re: S-Rank Discussion - While I have only gotten it on Windmill Isle Acts 1 and 2 so far (mainly because I haven't played Unleashed in a while; barely got it on Act 2!), with the generally improved Generations control and simpler (albeit stricter, in this mod) ranking system, I can live with it.

(Besides, at least Generations Sonic doesn't make you feel terrible for getting anything lower than a C Rank. :v: )
This post has been edited by SuperSonicRider: 20 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

• 23 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users