Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Fighters Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Fighters Hacking

#31 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

• Model2B Junkie
  • Project:Sonic the Fighters ... Always

View PostLanzer, on 01 March 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Debug huh? so what can we do with it once its fully utilized?

That's just it, I have no idea, but I'm hoping we can look at unused moves and other such nonsense cut from the final game.

Posted Image

I managed to get debug running during a match, but it still crashes the game. I wish I knew why.

EDIT1:

For some reason, enabling Texture Mode during a match enables a combo hit-counter for Player 1 and stops timers, so you can't advance in the game.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: 01 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

#32 User is offline Pexs 

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

Whoa, progress in this thread again. That's some super interesting stuff! You said you were looking to extract a way to get the X360 port running in the emulator?

#33 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

• Model2B Junkie

View PostPexs, on 01 March 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

Whoa, progress in this thread again. That's some super interesting stuff! You said you were looking to extract a way to get the X360 port running in the emulator?

Yes. The 360 patches Sonic the Fighters in memory, with bugfixes and Honey over Amy in character select. I assume all of this anyway, because the actual hard files are an unaltered romset.

#34 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

• Model2B Junkie
Hidden away within the "Game Assignment"s menu is a mini-menu used for "debugging" I guess. I assume it's straightforward and lets you individually control how hard the CPU is on a per-match basis. Each one of these has their own, separate, valid flags that the game keeps track of, even when the menu isn't enabled.

Posted Image

Updated script is right here folks! I've also left in a method to try debug mode for yourselves. Remove the dashes -- before debug mode and activate. Turn on debug mode, then turn activate mode on to execute it. By default it's on a camera test address, because it does not crash the game.

#35 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:42 PM

• Model2B Junkie
I'm coming across a rather large number of menus as I've been trying to find an actual debug mode menu that works, and I can't really document it all due to the sheer scale of menus there are and what they do. I've written down the execution offsets of some of the more interesting ones but at this point I'm afraid there's no remnant of any accessible debug menu, at least not with this emulator. I want to try this stuff on the real game with burned EEPROMs or the Xbox 360 emulator but I have no access to either one of those...

#36 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

• Model2B Junkie
I'm getting the itch to explore this game futther, yet again, but I still don't have access to a modded 360 for accurate debugging.... I have, however, made an interesting discovery, an oversight in one of ElSemi's emulator builds, which may allow me to access more information than intended for a release....

However, all of this may not matter, as my 10 years of notes on how the game's engine works was lost in a data crash. The data is recoverable, but I can not currently afford the space, like purchasing external drives, to recover and rebuild the files.

I also have located specifically a Japanese magazine which contains prototype images, which if scanned with my very high resolution scanner obtained about a year ago, might be able to clear up some information or theories I've had over the years. This too, however, I can not afford.

I do not know the stance on the community's willingness to throw money around for research purposes, especially for such a sleeper and obscure Sonic game, but something was similarly done for Sonic Mars back in the day. Would anyone be willing to shell a few dollars for at least the magazine?
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: 14 December 2016 - 06:58 AM

#37 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
How much is needed? After the Christmas period, I could send over a tenner :)

#38 User is online Cooljerk 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
How much space do you need? I have several extra drives, I wouldn't mind sending you one.

#39 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

• Model2B Junkie

View Postredhotsonic, on 14 December 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

How much is needed? After the Christmas period, I could send over a tenner :)/>

The magazine is roughly $30 for shipping with tracking.

View PostCooljerk, on 14 December 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

How much space do you need? I have several extra drives, I wouldn't mind sending you one.

If you have a storage array of 10TB or larger which can preferably be connected via USB 3.1 ver 2 (a pretty penny I assure you) to spare, I will gladly take it off your hands :v:

#40 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:50 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
10TBs?! god damn you lost that much?!?!

As for getting your hands on a Jtag Xbox, hit up Gamecheat13. a month ago he was pondering on selling off his extra 360s, some may be jtagged.

#41 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

• Model2B Junkie

View PostLanzer, on 14 December 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

10TBs?! god damn you lost that much?!?!

As for getting your hands on a Jtag Xbox, hit up Gamecheat13. a month ago he was pondering on selling off his extra 360s, some may be jtagged.

I can not afford the $30 magazine from Japan, I can not afford a jtag xbox either right now.

#42 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
Doesn't hurt inquiring, doubt hes in any rush to sell them as of yet.

#43 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:53 AM

• Model2B Junkie

View PostLanzer, on 15 December 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Doesn't hurt inquiring, doubt hes in any rush to sell them as of yet.

Actually, if people were so inclined to help me out somehow, having the actual hardware the game ran on might be more useful if the there were some unemulated calls or whatever in Sega's conversion on the 360. Although burning new modified roms for the board with the new data might be a challenge in an of itself, I figure the hardware to run it at a reasonable price might be a bit harder. A preconverted to JAMMA will give me a greater likelyhood of actually getting the damn thing running in my house.

Blowing a lot of hot air here because this is all in theory. If anything I could send the vipers chips to be dumped to see if it's a different revision.

#44 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

• Model2B Junkie
Been thinking about a different approach to all this madness since I lost all my notes and I think I need to throw this out there to get some opinions:

StF is emulated in both the Gems Collection and 360 (I don't have the PS3 files to analyze) and both use separate sound banks to handle the music data. I assume this is to handle the music at the native machine's DSP level instead of emulating the music, because it obviously is not saving any disk space. The thing is, are all the components for the Model2b hardware present within the files to essentially be ripped out and thrown into it's own self contained emulator? Could the chips from the very hardware itself be in some kind of encrypted format be waiting to be discovered and rebuilt into a new emulator? I honestly think ElSemi's emulator is garbage, but it's the only thing I currently have access to, so I am wondering if the emulator could be re-written from scratch using components extracted from official emulators on other hardware.

Any thoughts?

#45 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

• Model2B Junkie
Some interesting things are in store for this thread in the future.
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: 01 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users