Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: De-listed downloadable SEGA games - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

De-listed downloadable SEGA games Keeping track of them

#16 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostSploit, on 21 November 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

My guess for the SEGA Rally Online Arcade thing, might just be due to lack of purchases...

...plays similar and feels mostly the same as the original boxed release version on 360/PS3.

I bought both.

Also the whole point is the online thing, now I don't have gold membership for my live account at the moment, but when I did I could never get a game...
...again suggests a lack of people playing it.

Shame really.

Lack of purchases really isn't a good reason for putting it offline. It's also still up on PSN and is even priced off at the moment.

View PostMykonos, on 21 November 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Probably some kind of licensing issue similar to OutRun Online Arcade. At least I got to play this one before it disappeared this time.

If you've bought it you can still download the game by going through your download history, same with everything else removed from XBLA, PSN and Steam.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 22 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

#17 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostSkyler, on 22 November 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games for iOS. No idea why it was taken down (besides being terrible).

Wow. It lasted less than a week? I put it as February 2010 because I'm going assume it lasted at least 5 days.

#18 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
Not strictly a Sega game but also the Master System version of R-Type was also removed from both the JP and US Virtual Consoles (not sure about others) though I'm sure this is due to Irem's financial problems...

#19 User is offline MykonosFan 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178

View PostMathUser, on 22 November 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

Sonic 2006 was once listed on xbox lives games on demand but has been removed. Add that to the list.

It's already there in the OP... :p

View PostTimmiT, on 22 November 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

View PostMykonos, on 21 November 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Probably some kind of licensing issue similar to OutRun Online Arcade. At least I got to play this one before it disappeared this time.

If you've bought it you can still download the game by going through your download history, same with everything else removed from XBLA, PSN and Steam.

Oh, I know. I got the SEGA Rally game with that PS+ sale a while back. I never bought OutRun when it was available is what I was saying, I wasn't very clear.

#20 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
You should probably add OutRun 2006 on Steam to the list; I mean, sure, it's been off for QUITE a while but still probably good to keep track of these things.

#21 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

• Pudding Deity

View Postsonicblur, on 21 November 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Several PSP titles are no longer available on PSN.
Phantasy Star Portable 2 has not been available on the US store since around January of this year. (Rough estimate)
I wanted to buy it when the Vita came out, only to find out it was gone. The first one isn't there either, but I'm not sure if they ever sold that one on PSN. Can't confirm any others because PSP2 is the only one I know for sure because I was planning to buy it.

I'm being told Phantasy Star Portable 2 was only de-listed in America. Can anyone with a European and/or a Japanese account see if it is still up in those regions so I can classify it as American only?

View PostmuteKi, on 22 November 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

You should probably add OutRun 2006 on Steam to the list; I mean, sure, it's been off for QUITE a while but still probably good to keep track of these things.

Do you know when it was taken off?

#22 User is offline MykonosFan 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
I can't find Phantasy Star Portable 2 on my EU account for what it's worth.

#23 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostJaxTH, on 22 November 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

Phantasy Star Portable 2 has not been available on the US store since around January of this year. (Rough estimate)
I wanted to buy it when the Vita came out, only to find out it was gone. The first one isn't there either, but I'm not sure if they ever sold that one on PSN. Can't confirm any others because PSP2 is the only one I know for sure because I was planning to buy it.

I'm being told Phantasy Star Portable 2 was only de-listed in America. Can anyone with a European and/or a Japanese account see if it is still up in those regions so I can classify it as American only?

View PostmuteKi, on 22 November 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Do you know when it was taken off?

Probably around the time Outrun Online Arcade was removed from XBLA, that game was removed due to SEGA no longer having the license to Ferrari.

Also I still own Outrun 2006 on Steam. :P

#24 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

• Pudding Deity
Well, the PSN version of Outrun Online Arcade was taken off in 2010 while the XBLA version was taken off in 2012. I'm going to assume it got taken off of Steam in 2010 then?

#25 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

I guess so, the PC version got removed a pretty long time ago. Googled it and it seems to have been removed during/after the late 2009/early 2010 winter sale: http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=387565

#26 User is offline The Game Collector 

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

• Project:Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
It's a good thing people have backed up the Wii downloads to preserve them for use on modded systems. I wonder if the same is somehow being done for future modded PS3 and Xbox 360 users?

#27 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
http://datomatic.no-.../?page=download bottom of page — there are some efforts to preserver newer console downloadable data, though I'm not sure how it works
This post has been edited by Andlabs: 23 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

#28 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostJaxTH, on 22 November 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

I have accounts for US, EU, JP and Hong Kong. I can confirm US, EU, and Hong Kong don't have it, I can't confirm JP because I can't read any of it and most of it's not searchable in English. (Well, it is, but it won't help if the entire product description is Japanese)
I read at one point that it may have been removed due to an exploit that would allow PSP homebrew, and Sega didn't want to fix it. But any places that have asked for a reason from both Sony and Sega never got an answer.

#29 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
Slightly OT: This is why digital downloads are going to be the death of gaming, eventually. In the old days, while a company could surely stop making new copies of a game, they couldn't prevent used copies from transferring hands. Now, with digital downloads and DRM, they can prevent anyone who didn't already buy the game brand new from ever getting a copy. Sure, the games listed here are mostly older games that exist in other formats, but not all of them, and there's nothing stopping the situation from applying to all games in the future. Physical game media is dying, and retro gaming will end up dying with it (once digital downloads become the dominant way of acquiring games, there will be no such thing as "retro gaming" when those consoles become obsolete).

#30 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
That's a shame Outrun got removed from the PSN. I really wanted to buy that game :/

• 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users