Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 Color Contrast - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 1 Color Contrast Beta 5.95

#16 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 03 September 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Come to think of it, can Triad edit real time? Sounds crazy, but that would certainly be helpful with the cycled palettes (HivePal can get annoying sometimes with this).

For real time palette editing, I think you need Tribeam's palette viewer/editor lua script running on Gens rerecording; I don't think anything else can do that.

Edit: added quote to account for page break.
This post has been edited by flamewing: 03 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

#17 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

• WHY CANT I EDIT THE WIKIIII????
  • Project:Sonic 1 Complete (SHC 2016 Entry)
  • Wiki edits:1
Yea... Triad CANNOT EDIT in real time. In the tile editor screen, you can see the palette and the drawn tile together, and the tile/palette editor are packed together in the program.
That's the best I can do. If I knew how to do it in real time, I could, but as flamewing stated, you'd need the Tribeam Real Time editor... which I highly endorse... great piece of work.

BUT, I CAN send you some screens of it in action greyscaling. It can also do Color inversion and other effects if you have any use for it. If you are interested I'll send you a private copy.
This post has been edited by KingofHarts: 03 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

#18 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

View PostKingofHarts, on 03 September 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

BUT, I CAN send you some screens of it in action greyscaling. It can also do Color inversion and other effects if you have any use for it. If you are interested I'll send you a private copy.

Shoot me a PM with the screenshots; I'm quite interested in this.
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 03 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

#19 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

Will do. Just need to fix something with the greyscaling effect first. The method I am using to greyscale is not 100% to my liking. When I go on my break from work I'll hit you up and show you what I've got so far.

#20 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

View Postredhotsonic, on 02 September 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

He looks much better, although I still think he could be better. He just needs a bit more shading. Instead of all his shades of blue being black, just make more shades or dark grey. I know it's a challenge getting lots of shades of black/grey, but it might be worth looking into.

Tried it out, but it messed with the title card a bit too much it seems. Gotta figure out a way around that.

Darkening the eyes seemed to help.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 03 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

#21 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 03 September 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

Now we're getting somewhere ;)

#22 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
I really like that shot. It's like you actually are playing the original game, but on a black & white TV - it somehow feels more natural than it did previously.

#23 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

New Marble Zone palette, courtesy of KingofHarts' Sonic Triad palette editor:

A) Raw generated grayscale palette.

Posted Image

B) This version is slightly tweaked, to brighten it up a bit, and accentuate some of the lighter greys in the palette.

Posted Image

Which one do you guys prefer?

#24 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

• Full of surprises, pull the ribbons for details~
  • Wiki edits:16
The latter, it gives the essence that there's a strong light coming from the left of the world, like a sunrise. Mind you, the reversed pillar on the right doesn't help the light source, but eh who cares...

#25 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

Wow... I'll say it myself, if I may. I like the second one better, and taking your suggestions, I will try to make smaller edits like this, possible directly from the program. Awesome stuff.

#26 User is offline HighFrictionZone 

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

• Hi.
  • Project:Nothing
  • Wiki edits:7
The grayscale versions of the levels give me an almost gameboy-like vibe. Very good, keep it up!

I know this is primarily an art hack, but perhaps once you get the pallets and level layouts squared away, consider also expanding the idea: he's not stealing just the colors, but the very music of life! (etc.) The ideas aren't entirely dissimilar, and it'd give the opportunity to have low-def mixes of the musics or something.

#27 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostHighFrictionZone, on 12 September 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

The grayscale versions of the levels give me an almost gameboy-like vibe. Very good, keep it up!

I know this is primarily an art hack, but perhaps once you get the pallets and level layouts squared away, consider also expanding the idea: he's not stealing just the colors, but the very music of life! (etc.) The ideas aren't entirely dissimilar, and it'd give the opportunity to have low-def mixes of the musics or something.

This sounds like a neat idea (maybe some tracks would be only D&B before Sonic fixes them, perhaps)!

The easy part for me, is actually triggering the music via monitor, but the only problem would be that I really don't know how to add/edit Sonic 1's music yet. I didn't see a "How To" on the guide when I looked for it either (though admittedly, I didn't search too hard, since it wasn't my primary concern at the time).

#28 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

UPDATE:

So, over Thanksgiving Break, I worked on this quite a bit. I now have fully functional Restart and Music Monitors!

However, those monitors have glitchy sprites and animations; I tried to use the guide on the Wiki, but it didn't work properly, so I just left them broken until I figure out how to fix them.

As far as the Music Monitors, the default music in the video is not final; I'm still trying to figure out how exactly The Sonic One Music Editor works, so the music present is very WIP.

Also, thanks to KingofHart's Triad, I also have non-crappy Ending palette now.

Still-to-Do List:

-Still gotta change the layouts; saving these for last (since this is the easiest thing to do from a technical standpoint)

-I still have yet to figure out how to make a 'Door Trigger' for the Change monitors (Basically, a system that would only allow you to finish the stage if you got one of the monitors)

-If I'm going to have multiple Color Monitors, I have to figure out how to load the colors individually. Right now, I can only load them starting from the first color (e.g I can load colors 00-->1F, but I can't load 10-->1F)

This is the code I'm using, if anyone else can figure out how to do it:

move.w #$2F,d0                ;Length ($F = full line)
        	lea    (Pal_GHZ2),a1  ;Palette location
        	lea    ($FFFFFB20),a2        ;RAM location ($FB00 = line 1)
		jsr    PalLoad_Loop
		music	sfx_Teleport,1	; play teleport sound
		rts

-I also still have to figure out how to trigger the change in the palette cycle rotations (which are a bit more complex than the normals).

-Another thing that I want to figure out, is something redhotsonic mentioned earlier in the thread:

View Postredhotsonic, on 31 August 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Speaking of checkpoints, when you die and restart the level, the palette has gone black and white again. You might want to make it remember the colour state when you die. Unless you're going to put more than 1 of each monitor about. The reason why, is for example, if you put the S monitor near the beginning on Marble act 1 and restore the colour, hit the 1st checkpoint, then die, you're not going to be able to get that S monitor ever again.

I have no idea how to make Lampposts remember the palette/color state, but really I'm interested in fixing this.

I'll also be updating the first post soon as well.
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 26 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

#29 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

I'd imagine the checkpoint thing SHOULDN'T be too hard... When hitting the monitor, does this set a flag in the VRAM? OR does it simply change the palette?

If its the former, then you want only 2 new flags for checkpoints. If its the latter, than you will want to assign two variables for bkg color and 2 for Sonic's color. Call them whatever you want... how about "f_colbkg" and "f_colson"... these two will be for telling the level whether or not you currently have color for each of the two or not... then create two more flags for checkpoints. If you don't know how these work, a quick skim through the checkpoint object should answer all of your questions... its very simple. Everything such as time, position, etc is stored in the checkpoint variables when the checkpoint is hit. When you die and respawn, these checkpoint variables' values are then moved back to the variables that they were derived from in the first place.

Now... You can have the colors reset each time you die without a checkpoint or start the next level... just like Time does in the game. If you are at a checkpoint though, the game will check the checkpoint variables to see if you hit the boxes before passing the post. If so, color will stay in the level. If not, then your still in B&W.

Hope this helps. If you are still unsure I could provide an example later. Not right now though. I'm going to go watch The Watch. Ain't seen it yet and have been out of the loop of American movies/music/general media/culture for some time. Need my fix...

#30 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

View Postdsrb, on 31 August 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

View Postredhotsonic, on 31 August 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 31 August 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

• Create a system that would only allow the player to complete the level if the monitors are found.
You mean something like I did in my old S2R?

Posted Image
Or however Mercury made it so that the signpost/Robotnik only appears if Sonic has The One Ring.

Update:

I've decided to do it this way (this is the only way I'm able to do it right now anyway lol). The Signpost and Giant Ring will not appear unless any of the Change Monitors are found. The Restart Monitor, as previously shown, will return you to the beginning of the stage. The only issue is that some enemies have glitchy graphics after Sonic returns from the Signpost area.

Also might as well re-post this here, as part of the update:

The new 'All Emeralds' Ending'

Next, I'm going to tackle the Lamppost issue.
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 23 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users