Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Progress Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

General Progress Thread

#31 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hey Relick, thanks for the contributions.

However, I'm finding the controls a bit more difficult to use now. The mouse is a bit oversensitive for one thing, and I just find I'm struggling with the controls more than just using them. I know you've just started developing it, but I'd prefer to keep the controls as seamless as possible through development, as we'll be doing a lot of testing in the engine that'll involve controlling character.

I do appreciate the help though, thanks!

#32 User is offline Relick 

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

• Project:C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
  • Wiki edits:5
if(world.camera.controlModeMouse) {
world.camera.rot.y += input.mouseRelX * -0.2; }

You can change 0.2 to make it more or less sensitive.

I've only tested the Windows build (and 2 other people), and it seemed fine on them so it may be something to do with Linux - although it could also be your personal preference. A video of it would help a lot.

#33 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I think the problem is more likely to be I've a RAT 7 mouse that's pretty sensitive. I also think the viewing angle is too wide since the camera can be moved "underground", but I think I see the code to fix that so don't worry.

#34 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Been a bit busy recently hence the lack of progress. Still fully intend to work on collision. I'm thinking the main character's collision mesh could be defined by a set of collision spheres (just one sphere to start things off.
Thinking:
-Firstly: Once the sphere come into contact with something, the movement for that step is reversed.
-Then: Once the sphere collides with something, we halve the movement, and see if it is still colliding, otherwise we just reverse the move completely.
-Then: Once the sphere collides with something, we try to make a best guess over where to reposition the item.

Once we've got it done for the main character and moving around and bumping into things, I can work then on getting hills and slopes implemented into the terrain, and from then on into things like gravity and jumping.

Relick, I've been thinking over the controls you implemented and I think I see what where it falls short. The movement and the camera controls are too divorced from eachother so you kinda have to work each independently at the same time. I'm thinking that if you could adjust the controls so they're more like Lugaru, where your movement takes into account where the camera is as well as which key you're pressing, then the controls would improve exponentially and we could have fluid controls and camera in one. Thanks!

#35 User is offline Relick 

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'll get onto it as soon as I have time, I have had quite a bit work of work recently too.

I understand the controls are a bit awkward at the moment but I wanted to get something in so we had full view of the scene before we refined it.

#36 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Relick, that's cool. I understand what you were doing, and I really appreciate the work you put into this.

#37 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
So you've decided to work on your own physics engine for now?

#38 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Well, honestly, I just want to have a degree of precision over the character's movements. Since that's one of the key parts of the game. I'm still thinking Bullet will be important, but more after we've developed the key movement mechanics.

#39 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I've added a collision sphere attribute to the camera. Working on a system to detect collision between that sphere and a 3d triangle.

#40 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

There's a real life task that's been grabbing my attention recently. I'll aim to add some collision stuff by the weekend.

#41 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

The reason I haven't been active recently was because I was hit by project assignments that I only finally completed yesterday. While I would like to dive back into the engine code, we now have Christmas comming up which complicates things with all it's obligations. I will be keeping Mobius in mind, but Christmas isn't going to make it ieasy to contribute.

#42 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
On the contrary, Christmas means I'll be less busy than usual next week :v:

#43 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Recently I've had a wedding, a funeral, and a bout of sickness along with the previous holiday festivities. Kinda got in the way of Mobius development, I aim to get back on track in the next few days.

#44 User is offline Sofox 

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Okay, added some basic code for managing the collision mesh for the world.

Relick: I upgraded my graphics card, and I don't know what it did but I can barely use the mouse camera controls. Any movement of the mouse makes the camera jump erratically, and it takes me a few seconds just to get the camera looking level at the scenery and mange it from there. Please fix this, or if you can't, disable it by default.

#45 User is offline Relick 

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostSofox, on 08 January 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Okay, added some basic code for managing the collision mesh for the world.

Relick: I upgraded my graphics card, and I don't know what it did but I can barely use the mouse camera controls. Any movement of the mouse makes the camera jump erratically, and it takes me a few seconds just to get the camera looking level at the scenery and mange it from there. Please fix this, or if you can't, disable it by default.

At a guess, it is probably the combination of your sensitive mouse, your boost in FPS from the new card, and the fact I haven't added any deltaTime regulation to the camera rotation.
I'll test it out and push something tonight when I get home, but this is all you should need to do (on line 218 of main.cpp):

world.camera.rot.x += input.mouseRelY * 0.2;

to

world.camera.rot.x += input.mouseRelY * 0.2 * deltaTime;

and then repeat that for line 226 if you want the other mode to work properly too.

• 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users