Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 63 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking Now a general SA2 Hax thread

#886 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:21 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

I've copypasted the SADX mod made a mod for SA2 that allows you to change any character's physics to any other character's, or even a character from SADX's. You can download it here.

#887 User is offline Mr. Cornholio 

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hopefully I'm doing this right as this is my first post as a Trial Member, but hello!

I was curious if anybody understood how the dialog works in the HD re-release (and presumably the Nintendo GameCube one?). The wiki page states that the dialog is stored in "event_adx_e.afs" and the actual dialog files are .adx files. However, I can't seem to find a tool that can properly extract them, or the format was changed a bit for this re-release (and presumably the GameCube version?). PuyoTools supports the archive, but every file lacks an extension when extracted, and trying to play them just outright doesn't work even if I change it to have a ADX extension. AFS Explorer seems to have the same issue too? If I try to use the built-in sound player, I get horrible static.

Here' a couple of these files extracted from the AFS archive:
https://drive.google...V2ZFb19oMVpndFE

I apologize if this has already been asked. I couldn't seem to find the information I was looking for on the pages I explored. I'm just interested in getting the dialog to play so I can convert it to WAV for a personal project.

Thanks again!

#888 User is offline Jmtshaw 

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

View PostMr. Cornholio, on 02 February 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

If I try to use the built-in sound player, I get horrible static.

Yeah, for some reason SA2's voice files don't like the tools that work with SA1.

Fortunately, there's a tool that can get the SA2 ones out in a playable state. Just run that and it should work for you, already converted to WAV in fact.

#889 User is offline End User 

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

• Project:Supers Over Hedgehogs (SA2)

View PostMr. Cornholio, on 02 February 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

Hopefully I'm doing this right as this is my first post as a Trial Member, but hello!

I was curious if anybody understood how the dialog works in the HD re-release (and presumably the Nintendo GameCube one?). The wiki page states that the dialog is stored in "event_adx_e.afs" and the actual dialog files are .adx files. However, I can't seem to find a tool that can properly extract them, or the format was changed a bit for this re-release (and presumably the GameCube version?). PuyoTools supports the archive, but every file lacks an extension when extracted, and trying to play them just outright doesn't work even if I change it to have a ADX extension. AFS Explorer seems to have the same issue too? If I try to use the built-in sound player, I get horrible static.

Here' a couple of these files extracted from the AFS archive:
https://drive.google...V2ZFb19oMVpndFE

I apologize if this has already been asked. I couldn't seem to find the information I was looking for on the pages I explored. I'm just interested in getting the dialog to play so I can convert it to WAV for a personal project.

Thanks again!

The voice files stored in SA2's AFS file system are actually AHX files, if memory serves. I remember running into a similar problem when I tried to extract the files normally, as the ones for both Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes worked just fine when extracted and played with the proper codecs in, say, Winamp. Changing the file extension of the extracted .ADX files to .AHX fixes the static issue when played back with a program known as ADX Player, which is part of the CRI Middleware ADX Tools pack. The program pack should include everything you need to play the voice files you want to hear, as well as encode them to work with SA2. If all you want is to convert the files to WAV, Jmtshaw answered the question.

#890 User is offline SonikkuForever 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

• Be cool, be wild, and be groovy!
  • Project:Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
  • Wiki edits:56

View PostMainMemory, on 24 November 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

If you want I could upload my decrypted exe and IDA database (it's not much but it's a start).

Also I was looking at the data dll and it seems that several models are still in the ninja chunk format rather than the new SA2B format, such as various models for Chao, the 2P battle menu, and Kart racing.
Using SAMDL, set the Key to 10002000 and the Format to SA2:
14DB4 - Neutral Child Chao
218574 - Neutral Chaos Chao
21D1C4 - Hero Chaos Chao
22207C - Dark Chaos Chao
22705C - Talis Chao
22B7FC - Knuckles Chao
230344 - Amy Chao
Texture is AL_BODY.PRS, load any of the GVP files when it asks (they change some of the patterns for some Chao).
Obviously there are more, but I'm not going to sit here listing them all. The pointer table starts at 32DBD0 (AL_RootObject).

I'm trying to extract the models of the character Chao. How do I open them in SAMDL using these addresses? I don't see any options to set a "Key."

#891 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Just use splitdata_dll.bat, and look in the Data_DLL\AL_RootObject folder.

#892 User is offline SonikkuForever 

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

• Project:Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.

View PostMainMemory, on 24 February 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Just use splitdata_dll.bat, and look in the Data_DLL\AL_RootObject folder.

OK, I dragged Data_DLL.dll to splitdata_dll.bat, but it asks for an .ini, which I can't find anywhere.

I have no idea what I'm doing...
This post has been edited by SonikkuForever: 26 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

#893 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

You don't drag anything to the bat file, you just copy it and everything else in the SA2PC folder to your SA2 install folder and run it.

#894 User is offline SonikkuForever 

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

OK, thanks! It's working now, although I still can't find the specific models I'm after. Is there a way to zoom in/out in the SAMDL viewer? I can rotate the camera just fine, but it tends to end up inside models.

#895 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

Use the arrow keys to move left/right and forward/backward, hold shift to move up/down.

#896 User is offline Hey-Pi-Ron 

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

• Project:Total SA2 Style skinpack

View PostJimmy Hedgehog, on 19 January 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

EDIT: Did some digging to find it again, here's the 50% volume sound effects.

Can someone reupload this, please?

#897 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

• Head chef at the crap cafe
  • Project:One Piece English filler-free cut
You're in luck, I made it modloader-compatible too, where the original files were just the sound folder.

(which isn't saying much, because I just copied what I'd seen from other mods rather than actually looking up the way to do it properly, but it still works)
This post has been edited by Shaddy the guy: 31 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

#898 User is offline Hey-Pi-Ron 

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

• Project:Total SA2 Style skinpack

View PostShaddy the guy, on 31 March 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

You're in luck, I made it modloader-compatible too, where the original files were just the sound folder.

(which isn't saying much, because I just copied what I'd seen from other mods rather than actually looking up the way to do it properly, but it still works)

Wow, man! Thank you alot!

#899 User is offline CheatFreak 

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

• Everything or Nothing.
  • Project:BetterSADX Patch
Two things:

I made a mod that restores the GC version Soap Shoes Advertisiments. Download it here. Let me know if there's any I missed.

View PostJansenM, on 01 December 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

Apologies if I'm retreading already trodden ground, but has there been any fix for this? It happens as soon as the skate ends and, as far as I can tell, is because the game is running on integrated graphics. I just got a new tablet and it's a bit crappy that the first level is obscured by a bloody tram.
Posted Image

I'd also like to point out that a steam user, Air Chomp, has made a fix for this issue and it can be downloaded here. It works by removing all the moving car/tram objects from the level, as it's only the moving ones that have this ridiculous rendering issue.

You'll probably want to use the regular version of the mod, not the "plus" one, since the plus one has some extra creative liberties in it. You can read details about that on my new mods page, I rehosted his mods for him too, since the guy was using some trash filehost before.

If you have a mod you'd like hosted on my site, let me know and I'll put it up. Don't be shy about asking, as long as the mod isn't broken or isn't yours I don't mind hosting it.
This post has been edited by CheatFreak: 20 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

#900 User is offline Sven Cakemann 

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:01 PM

Evening everybody, quick question.

Sorry if this has been a question asked once before, but I decided to drag out my Dreamcast again recently and SA2 got me thinking about something. I looked a few pages back and read a discussion where it was said that Adventure 2's engine is effectively a "pimped out" version of Adventure 1's, with them sharing a lot of the same formatting and values. With that being said, is the emerald radar that Knuckles and Rouge uses one of those things that could be ported over from Adventure 1 so that the radar will work/beep when they're close to any of the emerald(s/ pieces)? I never understood why Sonic Team made that change back in the day and it would be amazing if the SA1 radar could be brought over.

• 63 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users