Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 60 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking Now a general SA2 Hax thread

#31 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 3712
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View PostChemical Heat, on 09 April 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

It has begun..
But seriously. Awesome progress! Can't wait to test it out, or mod SA2B myself to play as Super Sonic without crashing :3

View PostCrystal Clear, on 09 April 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Resiting urge to squee in fangasmic delight at the Super Sonic in Level images... not easy.

Totally watching this thread.

I wouldn't get too excited, these are model swaps, not like what you can get in SADXPC. You'd have to figure out how to get Super Sonic's model and textures loaded, and figure out how to activate the transformation. It might not be part of Sonic's code like it was in SA1. It might even have necessary code in the Finalhazard level file. And Super Sonic probably isn't coded to work in standard levels, so you'd end up flying around the level unable to properly interact with any gimmicks, or even crash the game when you touch them.

SADXPC was great for Super Sonic for three reasons:
  • As a PC game, Cheat Engine and IDA Pro (with the decompiler) are excellent tools for reverse engineering and modifying the game.
  • The way the port was set up, the model was always loaded into memory.
  • The Perfect Chaos level worked in the same manner as the regular levels.


I'm not trying to say he's not doing anything interesting, but it's probably not going to be on the same level as Super Sonic in SADXPC or Heroes.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 09 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

#32 User is offline darkspines35 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

  • It's Easy Actually. No, seriously.
  • Posts: 243
  • Joined: 10-January 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:.V.
  • Project:Sanik Adevnt Casters
  • Wiki edits:14
I use GCRebuilder too. So I don't know what the issue could be.

And as far as editing like that goes MM, I've looked into editing Start.dol. And Dolphin has a debugger thankfully, so something could come of that too.

#33 User is online Thousand Pancake 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

  • Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the morning
  • Posts: 345
  • Joined: 13-May 09
Not trying to be rude, but why didn't you use the Dreamcast version instead? It seems like it would be an easier version to hack, given that the DC is a much more open platform and thus more conducive to hacking. It also seems like the DC is an easier platform to emulate in spite of the odd graphics hardware, although I could just be spouting ignorant drivel.

#34 User is offline Morph 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

  • AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Posts: 697
  • Joined: 01-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
The problem is getting SA2 to even boot up again after modifying it and rebuilding the disc image. I've never been able to do it, and nor has anyone else I know (as far as I'm aware). Edit: And for whatever reason, it just isn't an issue with SA2B. It just kinda works.
This post has been edited by Morph: 09 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

#35 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

  • Posts: 373
  • Joined: 25-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:22
Just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know that I've managed to extract the MLT files from Sonic Adventure successfully and convert them to wav. I've also got the menu sounds from SA2, but not the rest of the effects. Working on getting those working next...
This post has been edited by Turbohog: 10 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

#36 User is offline Chemical Heat 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

  • Being the new guy is hard...
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 23-February 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Iceland
  • Project:None at the moment

View PostMainMemory, on 09 April 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

View PostChemical Heat, on 09 April 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

It has begun..
But seriously. Awesome progress! Can't wait to test it out, or mod SA2B myself to play as Super Sonic without crashing :3

View PostCrystal Clear, on 09 April 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Resiting urge to squee in fangasmic delight at the Super Sonic in Level images... not easy.

Totally watching this thread.

I wouldn't get too excited, these are model swaps, not like what you can get in SADXPC. You'd have to figure out how to get Super Sonic's model and textures loaded, and figure out how to activate the transformation. It might not be part of Sonic's code like it was in SA1. It might even have necessary code in the Finalhazard level file. And Super Sonic probably isn't coded to work in standard levels, so you'd end up flying around the level unable to properly interact with any gimmicks, or even crash the game when you touch them.

SADXPC was great for Super Sonic for three reasons:
  • As a PC game, Cheat Engine and IDA Pro (with the decompiler) are excellent tools for reverse engineering and modifying the game.
  • The way the port was set up, the model was always loaded into memory.
  • The Perfect Chaos level worked in the same manner as the regular levels.


I'm not trying to say he's not doing anything interesting, but it's probably not going to be on the same level as Super Sonic in SADXPC or Heroes.


..... We know. Super Sonic in SA2B is not designed for regular levels. But it's cool that we have his model in regular levels. :3

#37 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 3712
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Well it's good that you know that, but I'm sure there are people that don't. I'm just trying to stop people from jumping to conclusions and expecting the impossible/improbable. A futile exercise but I'm trying anyway.

On the topic of things that can actually happen: darkspines35, do you think you can figure out how to properly read SA2B models? Also, how about making a SCHG:Sonic Adventure 2/Model Format page (you seem to know more than I do)?

#38 User is offline darkspines35 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

  • It's Easy Actually. No, seriously.
  • Posts: 243
  • Joined: 10-January 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:.V.
  • Project:Sanik Adevnt Casters
  • Wiki edits:14

View PostMainMemory, on 10 April 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

On the topic of things that can actually happen: darkspines35, do you think you can figure out how to properly read SA2B models? Also, how about making a SCHG:Sonic Adventure 2/Model Format page (you seem to know more than I do)?

Yeah man. I'll look into that stuff later today, got stuff going on right now. And I did start work on a MaxScript for the SA2B models. Have it reading the headers at this point, and I did have it processing models to a minor extent. I'll pull it out again here in a bit along with my notes and start a wiki page for it. The only question I have for it is whether you want it to be for both SA2 and SA2B or just SA2B. Oh, and just to make a big note. Something I did learn about the models in the past were that some nodes contained only vertex data and others would contain only face data. They were always related though, like one was the parent of the other. I'd have to look into it again to make sure.

#39 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 3712
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
It would be nice if you could get both on one page, and note where they are different, like the SA1 model format page does.

#40 User is offline CrashSG32 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 02-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Project:Project Crash & Generations Hacking

View Postdarkspines35, on 09 April 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:


There's the vid to go along with this.

That's one of the most awesome hacks I've ever seen!
From the first time I played SA2B I wanted to try and hack Super Sonic (even if it's just the model) into the normal stages. Super Sonic is my fav character, I love it when people hack him into normal stages :3
As I already said in the comments, I'm waiting for a tutorial or a download =D

Sorry for the minor bump too, I found it too awesome to not say anything...

#41 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

  • A "Community Enigma"?
  • Posts: 1391
  • Joined: 23-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:51
If we can get a mod that removes Sonic's soaps and goes back to his old shoes, I would be super A-OK with that.

Just sayin'.

#42 User is offline CrashSG32 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 02-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Project:Project Crash & Generations Hacking
^It's been done, but I can't post a link because I'm on my phone :/

Look it up on YouTube, that's where I found it :)

#43 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

  • A "Community Enigma"?
  • Posts: 1391
  • Joined: 23-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:51

View PostCrashSG32, on 24 April 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

^It's been done, but I can't post a link because I'm on my phone :/

Look it up on YouTube, that's where I found it :)


For the Dreamcast version, though? And with correct animations for grinding and such? Because I remember somebody from here or SonicCult was messing around with that years ago and got it sort of working but not entirely. I think it might've been Grap3?

#44 User is offline CrashSG32 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 02-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Project:Project Crash & Generations Hacking
^Here's the video I was talking about:



To answer your questions:
Yes, it is a Dreamcast SA2 hack.
I'm not sure about about correct animations, as it is just a texture edit, I think.

#45 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

  • A "Community Enigma"?
  • Posts: 1391
  • Joined: 23-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:51
Yeah, that's just a texture edit. And not a very good one, it looks like.

  • 60 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users