Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 60 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking Now a general SA2 Hax thread

#16 User is offline darkspines35 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

• It's Easy Actually. No, seriously.
  • Project:Sanik Adevnt Casters
  • Wiki edits:14

View PostMainMemory, on 09 April 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

So I figured out why SAMDL fails to read SA2B models.
The first piece of vertex data in Sonic's first model in SA2:
29 00 19 00 6C 00 04 00
The same data in SA2B:
00 19 00 29 00 04 00 EE

Not only is the chunk header treated as a word when our docs say it's two bytes (wouldn't be the first time), it looks like they switched the length and chunk type, and the index base and vertex count parameters. The floats following are the same in both (byteswapped obviously), so aside from one parameter being changed it's basically the same data.

I'm not sure I have enough information to actually do anything about this though.

What offset is that at if you don't mind me asking. I'd like to check it out myself, see what's up. I remember comparing the the data between the LSDash after shadow models and it seemed to match up.

#17 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
In SA2: [first model] -> 9A80 -> 9A68 -> 99FC
In SA2B: [first model] -> 10F2C -> 10F14 -> 10EA8

#18 User is offline Chemical Heat 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

• Being the new guy is hard...
  • Project:None at the moment

View Postdarkspines35, on 09 April 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

A little late to the party, but I've been trying to break some ground in SA2B since I can at least hack it (sorry SA2 DC goers). Well, I did this.
Posted Image
And this is a direct swap between Sonic and Super. Had to adjust IDs in his model to make it work, but hey, it worked, haha. I also have a big list of animations I was working on. Turns out the game uses practically the same animation format as SA1/DX. But just swapping some IDs in there does wonders for animation swapping.

It has begun..
But seriously. Awesome progress! Can't wait to test it out, or mod SA2B myself to play as Super Sonic without crashing :3

#19 User is offline qwertysonic 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

• Project:creating the biggest sonic collection
So have you tried any texture edits yet? I made a topic about a year back about it, but it never went anywhere.

#20 User is offline darkspines35 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

There's the vid to go along with this.

#21 User is offline Morph 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11

View Postqwertysonic, on 09 April 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

So have you tried any texture edits yet? I made a topic about a year back about it, but it never went anywhere.

Texture edits are quite easy to do. I've been able to do it successfully using a tool designed for Phantasy Star Online called VMT.

You just open it up, open up a PRS as "GC Format" (which is secretly just a GVM), export the textures as bitmaps, modify what you like, replace the textures within the file with the ones you changed (of course, when importing a texture, select "GC Format" after selecting a bitmap), save as "GC Format" (which should come out as a PRS, but just rename it to GVM), paste back into the SA2B root directory, and rebuild the disc image.

I've already removed Sonic's mustache that nobody notices.

This post has been edited by Morph: 09 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

#22 User is offline qwertysonic 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostMorph, on 09 April 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

View Postqwertysonic, on 09 April 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Texture edits are quite easy to do. I've been able to do it successfully using a tool designed for Phantasy Star Online called VMT.

You just open it up, open up a PRS as "GC Format" (which is secretly just a GVM), export the textures as bitmaps, modify what you like, replace the textures within the file with the ones you changed (of course, when importing a texture, select "GC Format" after selecting a bitmap), save as "GC Format" (which should come out as a PRS, but just rename it to GVM), paste back into the SA2B root directory, and rebuild the disc image.

In, that thread I mention using VMT, But my problem is that the prs file becomes a lot larger than the original file, so it cannot be put back into the GC iso. How do you get around that?

#23 User is offline Morph 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
I don't really know, to be honest. Although it does come out a little bit larger, it's only by a few KB, so I haven't had any issues. Did you make sure everything was "GC format", or were you just working with large textures or something? O_o

#24 User is offline qwertysonic 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostMorph, on 09 April 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

I don't really know, to be honest. Although it does come out a little bit larger, it's only by a few KB, so I haven't had any issues. Did you make sure everything was "GC format", or were you just working with large textures or something? O_o

Just to test I extracted a texture, didn't modify it, and attempted to put it back in. It was in GC format, I don't know why it was getting so large.

#25 User is offline darkspines35 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Weird how you, qwertysonic, had issues. I've never had issues. I've also never worked with VMT. I just rip it directly from the files themselves. I've also never had an issue when rebuilding the iso of something being too large.

#26 User is offline qwertysonic 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postdarkspines35, on 09 April 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Weird how you, qwertysonic, had issues. I've never had issues. I've also never worked with VMT. I just rip it directly from the files themselves. I've also never had an issue when rebuilding the iso of something being too large.

What did you use to rebuild the iso?

#27 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

• Project:Playing Wii U - ADD ME.
  • Wiki edits:5
Interesting. Have people hacked Sonic Adventure 2 enough before? I'm sure there are lots of secrets in the game we probably haven't discovered.

#28 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
I don't think so. SA2, Heroes, and Shadow have been left largely untouched IIRC

#29 User is offline Morph 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.

View Postqwertysonic, on 09 April 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

What did you use to rebuild the iso?

I at least, use GCRebuilder. It's the only tool I could find that actually worked for me, but maybe I was doing something wrong.

#30 User is offline Crystal Clear 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Resiting urge to squee in fangasmic delight at the Super Sonic in Level images... not easy.

Totally watching this thread.

• 60 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users