Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Post your questions here - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Post your questions here

#16 User is offline superstarCSB 

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:32 PM

• snootch
  • Project:I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
What version was used in the version for Nick Arcade, and what kind of levels and designs of the levels did it have? What was up with some of Sonic's sprites? How far along was this version of Sonic 2? So basically, anything that's known about the Nick Arcade Sonic 2 would be greatly appreciated.
This post has been edited by superstarCSB: 23 April 2004 - 02:33 PM

#17 User is offline Quickman 

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:22 PM

• Project:omg porjcet
  • Wiki edits:10

8-Bit Dragon, on Apr 23 2004, 03:09 AM, said:

I would ask him if Sega has the original tiles/sprites for the various beta levels somewhere.Like on an old backup somplace, cause surely they developed the textures using normal computer software so they may still exist in bmp format or somthing and still have them on floppies somewhere.Its just a matter of asking him if he may know of their whereabouts and if so, ask him if there is any way he could get his hands on them for us.

Pointless question. We know it was on a Sega proprietary format and all the design stuff was handed BACK to Sega and most likely destroyed.

What was the final story line for Sonic X-Treme? *swatted*

Why would he know anything about that? He'd left ages before that.

What were early special stage designs like, if there were any designed by him?

He had nothing to do with the special stages.

Were Dust Hill tiles(or parts of them) used in the Sonic 2 GG Underground Zone screen?

Already proven rubbish.
This post has been edited by Quick Man: 23 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

#18 User is offline LOst 

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:34 PM

• Wiki edits:2

superstarCSB, on Apr 23 2004, 10:32 PM, said:

What version was used in the version for Nick Arcade, and what kind of levels and designs of the levels did it have? What was up with some of Sonic's sprites? How far along was this version of Sonic 2? So basically, anything that's known about the Nick Arcade Sonic 2 would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder who was in charge of the Beta releases at Sega at that time

#19 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:10 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
Hmm, tricky, I mean that interview covered a whole lot of stuff, rather than going back to him we need Mark Cerny, but he never replied to either my nor ICEknights' email ;)

Well anyhoo the thing that sticks in my mind is Dust Hill, whether it was the beta name for Mystic Caves or not, just to stop the quibbling.

More info about the digitizers, like what company made them or something (I'd love to get my hands on one :D).

And also we need to know more specifics about the time travel storyline (like how far into to game did it get).

To be honest though he probably told us all he can remember in the first interview and I doubt we'll get much more info out of him.

#20 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:37 PM

Time travel hasnt been proven to be in Sonic 2. I would ask him if he has any connections to his artwork buddies he worked with and see if we could talk to them. They might remember a bit more on the subject.

#21 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

vangar, on Apr 23 2004, 09:37 PM, said:

Time travel hasnt been proven to be in Sonic 2.

Yeah but he mentioned it before, I just want him to elaborate and prove it one way or the other.

#22 User is offline Drakmyth 

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:34 AM

• Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service.
  • Project:Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
That's a good idea, see if he could get us an interview with anyone else that was working on S2. (Or any other Sonic game I suppose, it seems as though S2 is the most sought after though.)

#23 User is offline Quickman 

Posted 24 April 2004 - 07:46 AM

• Project:omg porjcet
  • Wiki edits:10

Drakmyth, on Apr 24 2004, 07:34 AM, said:

(Or any other Sonic game I suppose, it seems as though S2 is the most sought after though.)

Sonic 2 is the only game for which we have American correspondents. Sonic 1 and Sonic 3K were all made by all-Japanese teams. We can ask others about Sonic Xtreme and Sonic R because those were made by American teams.

More info about the digitizers, like what company made them or something (I'd love to get my hands on one ).

That question has already been answered! It's a Sega proprietary system. Besides, why would you want that clunky piece of rubbish? I quote:

I already talked about the Digtizers. They were BIG white boxes with black fronts. They used 31/4 discs and had a tendency to eat artwork. (We finally discovered that you couldn't have the number '6' as the first character in your file name)

This post has been edited by Quick Man: 24 April 2004 - 07:52 AM

#24 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:52 PM

Quick Man, on Apr 24 2004, 07:46 AM, said:

More info about the digitizers, like what company made them or something (I'd love to get my hands on one ).

That question has already been answered! It's a Sega proprietary system. Besides, why would you want that clunky piece of rubbish? I quote:

I already talked about the Digtizers. They were BIG white boxes with black fronts. They used 31/4 discs and had a tendency to eat artwork. (We finally discovered that you couldn't have the number '6' as the first character in your file name)

Yeah good point, I'd forgotten that he'd gone into so much detail, and I was struggling to think of unanswered questions :P. As for the people suggesting getting other team members' contact details out of him, I don't think this is very likely to produce results, because the team have all gone their separate ways in the last 10 years. I suppose you could try, but I doubt he'll know any.
This post has been edited by QJimbo: 24 April 2004 - 12:53 PM

#25 User is offline Quexinos 

Posted 14 June 2004 - 02:15 AM

• Since 1997
  • Wiki edits:11
I know this is an old topic but did this go anywhere?

#26 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:26 AM

• Wiki edits:18
I'm afraid he will be a bit too busy to answer fan mail until they finish Ratchet & Clank 3. =\

#27 User is offline LOst 

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:58 PM

Why did Metropolis have 3 act when the other levels only had 2?

Why was Hill Top developed in the first place when it uses most of Emerald Hill's foreground art?

Who programmed the bosses for all the zones?

And how long did it take to make all the bosses and art for it until they were done?

#28 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:35 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4

LOst, on Oct 5 2004, 12:58 AM, said:

This was already answered. The guy was going to make another zone, but they cut the idea so he had extra time to develop another act.

#29 User is offline Kles 

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:41 PM

• Wiki edits:5

Rika Chou, on Oct 4 2004, 10:35 PM, said:

This was already answered. The guy was going to make another zone, but they cut the idea so he had extra time to develop another act.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but this doesn't answer WHY. It tells how MZ got a third act, not the actual reason for it.

#30 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:06 PM

• Wiki edits:18

Kles, on Oct 4 2004, 11:41 PM, said:

Rika Chou, on Oct 4 2004, 10:35 PM, said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but this doesn't answer WHY. It tells how MZ got a third act, not the actual reason for it.

There wasn't enough time to make Genocide City, so he made another act for his other level instead... I don't think it's too hard to understand.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 05 October 2004 - 05:21 PM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users