Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: More Sega Channel prototypes dumped. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 18 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

More Sega Channel prototypes dumped. Even earlier ones.

#31 User is offline Sik 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

  • Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Posts: 6719
  • Joined: 17-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostTomoAlien, on 22 July 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

Also for some reason I can't get either emulator to display different animations than the ones they always show. Trying to use savestates between the emulators results in crashes. Weird weird and weird.
Tried doing a soft reset?

View PostTomoAlien, on 22 July 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

Also ValleyBell, could you check the final Sega Channel rom for music with that magic thingy you call M1?
This too, WTF is M1? I'm seeing this mentioned around a lot lately.

#32 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

  • 「いっきまーす」
  • Posts: 2175
  • Joined: 11-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
M1 started life as a MAME-based music player for arcade games. Then it got forked/mirrored/edited/frontend-ed/etc. to oblivion. The only two versions I know still exist in active (somewhat) development are Richard Bannister's Mac OS X port and the one ValleyBell is talking about, which is basically M1 for MESS.
This post has been edited by Andlabs: 23 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

#33 User is offline ValleyBell 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:14 AM

  • Posts: 227
  • Joined: 08-September 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:researching SMPS sound drivers
  • Wiki edits:10
Actually I'm using Richard Bannister's version. The source code included makefiles for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, so I just had to compile it for Windows.
The nice thing on M1 is, that is has some generic support for the GEMS sound driver (and some SMPS Z80 versions, too, btw).

But sorry, M1 doesn't play anything with the final Sega Channel ROM. Maybe it handles some versions of the GEMS driver incorrectly.

#34 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5180
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4
These are wonderful to see. I loved my Sega channel, so many memories. I really wish there were some way to revive the service or something. (or maybe a special sega channel theme of the retro channel? if I understand what the retro channel even is.)

Anyone dump the Japanese Sega Channel yet? Or know if there is any difference between the tall and short adapters?
This post has been edited by Rika Chou: 23 July 2011 - 03:52 AM

#35 User is offline TomoAlien 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:09 AM

  • Posts: 48
  • Joined: 25-August 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Poland
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostSik, on 23 July 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

View PostTomoAlien, on 22 July 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

Also for some reason I can't get either emulator to display different animations than the ones they always show. Trying to use savestates between the emulators results in crashes. Weird weird and weird.
Tried doing a soft reset?


Well duh, I did use soft reset because else it wouldn't be able choose a random logo.

#36 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

  • Posts: 10349
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
I haven't been able to use the Sega Channel ROMs with M1 in any way, since it requires adding offsets to the xml file.


How are you guys doing it, what version, download link, etc.

#37 User is offline ValleyBell 

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

  • Posts: 227
  • Joined: 08-September 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:researching SMPS sound drivers
  • Wiki edits:10
M1 Windows version

It's actually quite easy. My currrent m1.xml looks like this: (I wrote a completely new xml to speed up loading)
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<m1 version="1">
	<game name="SEGA_CHANNEL_04" board="Sega Genesis/MegaDrive">
		<description>Sega Channel Demo 4</description>
		<year>1994</year>
		<manufacturer>Sega</manufacturer>
		<m1data default="1" stop="0" min="1" max="32768"/>
		<region type="cpu1" size="4194304">
			<rom name="Sega Channel Demo Cartridge #4 (2-16-94) (dumped by LocalH).bin" size="524288" crc="2ABAE889" offset="0"/>
		</region>
	</game>
	<game name="SegaChannel_Fix_Regen" board="Sega Genesis/MegaDrive">
		<description>Sega Channel</description>
		<year>1994</year>
		<manufacturer>Sega</manufacturer>
		<m1data default="1" stop="0" min="1" max="32768"/>
		<region type="cpu1" size="4194304">
			<rom name="SegaChannel_Fix_Regen.bin" size="262144" crc="70DCE5DA" offset="0"/>
		</region>
	</game>
</m1>

The only important things are "game name" and the line with "rom name".
game name must be the filename of the zip-file without .zip.
The rom line contains info about the ROM: full filename, size and checksum (crc and sha are both possible, at least one checksum is needed to make M1 read the file). offset must be always 0 for console ROMs.

Then run "m1 SEGA_CHANNEL_04" and it will play.

#38 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

  • Posts: 1662
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Doylestown, PA
  • Wiki edits:100

View PostRika Chou, on 23 July 2011 - 03:51 AM, said:

These are wonderful to see. I loved my Sega channel, so many memories. I really wish there were some way to revive the service or something. (or maybe a special sega channel theme of the retro channel? if I understand what the retro channel even is.)

Anyone dump the Japanese Sega Channel yet? Or know if there is any difference between the tall and short adapters?


The two US Sega Channel BIOs carts are listed in the no-intro DAT as:
Sega Channel (USA) (General Instrument) (Program).md
Sega Channel (USA) (Scientific Atlanta) (Program).md

The Japanese BIOs is still undumped.

EDIT: I also just dug through the SC webpage on archive.org and found this section
http://web.archive.o...nnel/now/9.html

Would -each- of these have their own BIOs?
This post has been edited by Kiddo Cabbusses: 24 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

#39 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

  • Posts: 10349
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18

View PostValleyBell, on 24 July 2011 - 07:35 AM, said:

The only important things are "game name" and the line with "rom name".
game name must be the filename of the zip-file without .zip.
The rom line contains info about the ROM: full filename, size and checksum (crc and sha are both possible, at least one checksum is needed to make M1 read the file). offset must be always 0 for console ROMs.

Then run "m1 SEGA_CHANNEL_04" and it will play.

Hey, thanks. One has to wonder why nobody has already built a version that doesn't need to zip each binary, rename it and edit an XML file specifically for it... Os with SMS support, for that matter.

#40 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

  • Posts: 1662
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Doylestown, PA
  • Wiki edits:100
Hey guys, just doing a bump. This is for magazine scans.

Over at the BS Zelda forums, user Madhatter digs through various old magazines for Satellaview stuff. A lot of the USA and Europe articles tend to have writings on both the Satellaview and Sega Channel on the same articles, so maybe there's stuff to spot if I share them with you guys.

Quote

I ran across another Satellaview-related article today. This should pique Duke's interest in the 16-bit-era console wars as it's a direct comparison of the Satellaview with the Sega Channel. It's from the same French magazine I posted earlier - Consoles+. It seems like the European magazines have much better coverage of the Japanese gaming scene... I don't know if that more demonstrates North America's self-centeredness or Europe's sad position as the third-tier market in the 1990s. Probably it's a combination of both factors. The frustration with the Japanese Euro-marketing scheme is quite evident in the UK-based Super Play magazines I've gone through. I notice a huge number of ads for third party import-gaming converters and the like too.
Anyway this is all in French and it's pretty long (although really only the first 3 pages and a few sentences here and there from the 4th have much to do with the Satellaview). If any native French-speakers could provide a translation that would be super cool. ^_^'
Consoles+. Issue 41. p.20. March 1995.
Consoles+. Issue 41. p.21. March 1995.
Consoles+. Issue 41. p.22. March 1995.
Consoles+. Issue 41. p.23. March 1995.
Consoles+. Issue 41. p.24. March 1995.
Consoles+. Issue 41. p.25. March 1995.


Quote

OK, here's another article from EDGE Magazine. This is from EDGE #2 (November 1993), and it covers so-called "cable gaming" including fairly full depth discussions of St.GIGA, Sega Channel, and IVDS, and it even touches on Renegade's plans regarding interactive TV. An interesting look at the very dawn of DLC.
Edge #2, Pg. 70
Edge #2, Pg. 71
Edge #2, Pg. 72
Edge #2, Pg. 73
Edge #2, Pg. 74
Edge #2, Pg. 75


Edit: ALSO!

The old urls are borked, so here's the files re-upped to my webspace.
http://kiddocabbusse...l/TAZ_MANIA.bin
http://kiddocabbusse..._CHANNEL_01.bin
http://kiddocabbusse...CHANNEL_02L.bin
http://kiddocabbusse..._GAME_GUIDE.bin
This post has been edited by Kiddo Cabbusses: 13 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

#41 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

  • roxoring your soxors
  • Posts: 3211
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:wouldn't you like to know
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
Oh good, I get to ask you two questions, and both are related to the content of this thread with that last post :P

1) In the April 1994 issue of Game Players, there is a small picture that purports to be the "Japanese version of the Sega Channel hardware". Have you ever seen this picture? It appears to look almost like a hybrid inbetween the short and tall US adapters, and the label simply has the standard S1-style Sonic artwork on the right, with the standard blue SEGA logo to the left and what appears to be a button directly below the bottom-right hand corner of the label. It also looks like there's a couple of demo screenshots (which appear like they might be from demo #4 cart, which I really really really need to send back to Skrybe, I've been so busy and without a vehicle at the moment it's a pain in the ass to get to the post office).

2) In the April 1995 issue of Game Players, there is an interesting shot of what possibly appears to be early Satellaview hardware. It shows a Data Pak that looks like it has 6 pins coming out the bottom (and the shape looks sort of like a PS1 memory card, with the curved portion being at the connector end), a BS-X BIOS cart that looks absolutely nothing like the final hardware (in fact, I don't even see the little "slot" that SNES and SFC carts have, that the power switch slides a piece of plastic into to "lock" the cart in). The Satellaview hardware itself looks really weird, it doesn't have an EXT port connector on top, it appears to have a raise "Nintendo SATELLAVIEW" badge on the left, and two completely different looking lights where the Power and Access lights are. These look like rescans by GP, so the quality isn't that great (there are also pictures of the final hardware, and they are heavily halftoned on top of the magazine's "native" halftone screen). Have you seen anything like these pics?

If neither of these pics have been seen, I will be happy in the next few days to dig out my flatbed and scan them.

#42 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

  • Posts: 1662
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Doylestown, PA
  • Wiki edits:100

View PostLocalH, on 13 February 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Oh good, I get to ask you two questions, and both are related to the content of this thread with that last post :P

1) In the April 1994 issue of Game Players, there is a small picture that purports to be the "Japanese version of the Sega Channel hardware". Have you ever seen this picture? It appears to look almost like a hybrid inbetween the short and tall US adapters, and the label simply has the standard S1-style Sonic artwork on the right, with the standard blue SEGA logo to the left and what appears to be a button directly below the bottom-right hand corner of the label. It also looks like there's a couple of demo screenshots (which appear like they might be from demo #4 cart, which I really really really need to send back to Skrybe, I've been so busy and without a vehicle at the moment it's a pain in the ass to get to the post office).

2) In the April 1995 issue of Game Players, there is an interesting shot of what possibly appears to be early Satellaview hardware. It shows a Data Pak that looks like it has 6 pins coming out the bottom (and the shape looks sort of like a PS1 memory card, with the curved portion being at the connector end), a BS-X BIOS cart that looks absolutely nothing like the final hardware (in fact, I don't even see the little "slot" that SNES and SFC carts have, that the power switch slides a piece of plastic into to "lock" the cart in). The Satellaview hardware itself looks really weird, it doesn't have an EXT port connector on top, it appears to have a raise "Nintendo SATELLAVIEW" badge on the left, and two completely different looking lights where the Power and Access lights are. These look like rescans by GP, so the quality isn't that great (there are also pictures of the final hardware, and they are heavily halftoned on top of the magazine's "native" halftone screen). Have you seen anything like these pics?

If neither of these pics have been seen, I will be happy in the next few days to dig out my flatbed and scan them.


I don't think we have any scans from "Game Players". Please send them my way. I know a few other magazines have something akin to a prototype Satellaview piece but the way you describe your's sounds unique.

EDIT: Just to clarify, most of our current magazine scans are in this thread;

http://z9.invisionfr...wtopic=981&st=0

There's also this thread which has, specifically, some Famitsu stuff;

http://z9.invisionfr...?showtopic=1294

The most recent really interesting scan implies Satellaview content related to Seiken Densetsu 3.
This post has been edited by Kiddo Cabbusses: 13 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

#43 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

  • roxoring your soxors
  • Posts: 3211
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:wouldn't you like to know
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
Just to give you a better idea, I'm gonna take a quickie shot with my iPod digital camera to show you what I mean, until I can properly scan them.

Watch this space.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Don't worry about adding those to your collection just yet, of course, as I will scan them properly if you need them.

Edit: Shit, I just realized I clipped the Data Pak out of the Satellaview pic. Still, that pic is enough for you to know if you have seen it before or not.
This post has been edited by LocalH: 13 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

#44 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

  • Posts: 1662
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Doylestown, PA
  • Wiki edits:100
Ok, Satellaview scan is -definitely- want. The Sega Channel JP BIOs there appears ismilar to the pictures going around beside s it being a mag scan at first glance, but perhaps with a better picture I can study more.

#45 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

  • roxoring your soxors
  • Posts: 3211
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:wouldn't you like to know
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
It might take me a few days, I run Win7 x64 and my scanner is so old that I have to use Vuescan, and it's being a severe bitch.

  • 18 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users