Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure DX: Fixed Edition - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 10 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure DX: Fixed Edition 1.0.0, mod loader! 4/29/2015

#16 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ May 20 2011, 07:18 PM)
Is there a flag that activates for when the Hedgehog Hammer game activates after Amy stands on it? If there is a way round it there may be a convinience in that the Egg Carrier music resets straight after the minigame is over (suggesting it was meant to be put in the Adventure mode variant at some point).

Actually, it would probably be easier to insert a music change in the code that starts the game (as soon as somebody finds out where that is).

#17 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

• Wiki edits:41
Perhaps also see if anyone knows locations or flags for:

* When Big's lure breaks ('BIG: Miss')

* When ZERO turns invincible after too many hits ('AMY: Hurry Up')

Perhaps the extended versions of tracks used in the OST could also be used in place of the truncated ones (eg. the full versions of Tikal's theme or Azure Blue World).

I do have two other ideas, but they seem FAR more ambitious and complex:

* Add options or extra menus to play the other variants of Twinkle Circuit (though it may be easiest to add extra icons on the Sub-Games menu).

* Is it possible to combine the areas for Adventure Fields so they stream properly (like that data remaints in Station Square suggests they planned to do)? I take this would likely take a LOT of programming effort as well as item replacement and such but it would be interesting to pull off, especially since all those segmented areas slowed down the gameplay.

Sorry if I'm getting carried away, SA1 was always one of those games I thought would have been a work of art if they had done it up properly.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 21 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

#18 User is offline Espyo 

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

• Project:A rhythm game - PK Rhythm (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pkrhythm/)
  • Wiki edits:22
I approve this mod. There are a lot of problems with Sonic Adventure DX. Too many to list really. But it's not hard to find lists of glitches. Keep up the good work!

#19 User is offline Hendricks 266 

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

• Wiki edits:58
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ May 21 2011, 09:34 AM)

That song is used in the cutscene before Tails' Speed Highway. Don't you think it would be annoying to hear that little jingle over and over and over in the level instead of normal music?

Perhaps the extended versions of tracks used in the OST could also be used in place of the truncated ones (eg. the full versions of Tikal's theme or Azure Blue World).

At least in Tikal's case, I'm pretty sure the cuts were made to allow the song to get to the melody faster, because it's only played in cutscenes.

Everything else is good in theory.

It is possible to change the subtitle font back to the DC/GC one? I hate the PC one. sad.png

While we're on unlikely suggestions, how about support for the original ADX and SFD formats?

#20 User is offline Bareirito 

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

• Project:Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
  • Wiki edits:4
QUOTE (Hendricks 266 @ May 21 2011, 06:42 PM)
It is possible to change the subtitle font back to the DC/GC one? I hate the PC one. sad.png

Not only that, but also restore the original HUD. For some reason I prefer the original more than the PC version one. And any ideas for the unused 'EXTEND' music?

#21 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

• Wiki edits:41
QUOTE (Hendricks 266 @ May 21 2011, 05:42 PM)

That song is used in the cutscene before Tails' Speed Highway. Don't you think it would be annoying to hear that little jingle over and over and over in the level instead of normal music?

Depends. How much do you hate Big's fishing music or the countdown theme? Add to that it is for a less pivotal situation (how many bother wacking ZERO senseless until he turns invincible rather than just trying to get through the level?).

QUOTE (Hendricks 266 @ May 21 2011, 05:42 PM)

At least in Tikal's case, I'm pretty sure the cuts were made to allow the song to get to the melody faster, because it's only played in cutscenes.

Everything else is good in theory.

Makes sense I suppose. That said the music never really fit perfectly with some of the cutscenes anyway (par some exceptions, notice how Theme of E-102 syncs perfectly with Amy's prison cutscene for example). The most ideal situation would be having loads of different arrangements for the tunes played to sync with the actions like in SA2, though I don't know how much effort that would require.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 21 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

#22 User is offline TheBalishChannel 

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

• Project:Sonic The Hedgehog 1 / CD Sonic sprites & pallete in Sonic The Hedgehog 2, no Tails.
I think this is what kills projects here on Sonic Retro. We're all piling and stacking up ideas that may not even be possible at the moment. I'm not saying a little input is a bad thing, but we need to take in that some of the ideas and features we're asking for might never come to be.
This post has been edited by TheBalishChannel: 21 May 2011 - 11:42 PM

#23 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
I however believe this is what makes projects strong. The strong show of interest will lead to more support, which if anything will motivate the advancement of the project, eventually incorporating even trivial or difficult ideas.
I say, keep em comin.

#24 User is offline Morph 

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
QUOTE (Bareirito @ May 21 2011, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (Hendricks 266 @ May 21 2011, 06:42 PM)

Not only that, but also restore the original HUD. For some reason I prefer the original more than the PC version one. And any ideas for the unused 'EXTEND' music?

I did a comparison between SA1 and SADX, and I only noticed a difference between the subtitle fonts, not the HUD; although I'll have to look at it again. The only gripe I have with changing the subtitle font is that it isn't something that necessarily needs to be fixed. The current subtitle font actually does its job. Although I'm sure if you grab the PVM from the original Sonic Adventure and throw it into the system folder, it may work. I'm just not sure which one it is—or if it's even a PVM as opposed to a PVR just sitting there. (And on that note, PVMs are inside the PRS files)

#25 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Hendricks 266 @ May 21 2011, 04:42 PM)
While we're on unlikely suggestions, how about support for the original ADX and SFD formats?

<~MainMemory> ...
<~MainMemory> I wonder
<~MainMemory> if somebody could write a DLL to replace Windows Media Player in SADX
<~MainMemory> make a DLL with the functions SADX uses, have it use vgmstream, ???, PROFIT!
<~MainMemory> WMCreateReader in WMVCORE.DLL is the function used

Unfortunately I don't know how this function or WMP in general work, and I don't code C/C++.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 22 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

#26 User is offline Hendricks 266 

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:25 AM

• Wiki edits:58
QUOTE (Morph @ May 22 2011, 12:36 AM)
I did a comparison between SA1 and SADX, and I only noticed a difference between the subtitle fonts, not the HUD; although I'll have to look at it again.

He may be talking about the colors of the menus.

In any case, the Dreamcast version originally had a "clear pause" feature if you held X+Y while paused. This feature never made it to any ports.

#27 User is offline Ch1pper 

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

• Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less
  • Project:Life.
  • Wiki edits:40
And yet even that tiny aspect even made it into the GameCube's SA2 Battle port.

I know in the GameCube SADX menus, the X button backed out to previous menus as if it was merely an all-around secondary B button. I always found this strange (as in SA2 Battle this was restricted to occurring only during in-stage play). Was this also the original DC version's case?

And, er, not that this matters; I've no qualms with either font, but the PC's font certainly looks... cleaner. Not nearly as overused, at the very least. Hardly matters, though - it certainly doesn't save the subtitles from looking any less poorly-typed out. I swear, it looks like they meant to center each and every line and never got around to all of them; not to mention the strange "multiple spaces" that would separate sentences in such jarring fashion.
This post has been edited by Ch1pper: 22 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

#28 User is offline TheBalishChannel 

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

• Project:Sonic The Hedgehog 1 / CD Sonic sprites & pallete in Sonic The Hedgehog 2, no Tails.
I suppose while we're at it. Is it possible to record the cutscenes during gameplay, edit them via Sony Vegas for instance (make em' all have special effects and such,) and then place them back in the game? It would make the cutscenes a lot more bearable if you ask me. ;)

#29 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Short answer: no.

Long answer: you would have to replace them all with video files and somehow get the game to play them instead of the ingame cutscenes. Doing this would also increase the size of the game a lot. The 10 existing MPG files total 182MB.

#30 User is offline TheBalishChannel 

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

One thing I suppose you could fix is that one line Tails has where he's like, "Good thing you're okay-" It sounds as if SEGA cut off a bit of dialogue. The only problem is if the full voice clip isn't in the game's data anymore. sad.png

• 10 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users