Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Classic Heroes - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 145 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Classic Heroes Rise of the Chaotix (sorry, Mighty) - v0.10.008a out

#16 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
QUOTE (flamewing @ Nov 3 2010, 12:14 AM)
All good ideas. I will get to it; please note that I didn't know almost about S2 hacking until a couple weeks ago, and this hack is just over one week old today -- I simply didn't had time to get everything working as I wanted because Xenowhirl forced me to release early :-).

Y-Y-Y-you did this in a week? It took me nearly a month to get a badly glitched Blue Knuckles in, and after that I just kinda gave up. But this? In a week? I don't believe you.

#17 User is offline Aquaslash 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

• Emerald Dragoon
  • Project:The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
  • Wiki edits:1,144
flamewing, I think you should start your own topic for that hack

#18 User is offline nineko 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Nov 3 2010, 01:39 AM)
flamewing, I think you should start your own topic for that hack
I actually suggested a split from this thread since there are already several related posts, but none of you mods want to do it D:

In the mean time I'll start working on the wiki article for this, I guess. I take its official name is "Sonic 2 Heroes".

Also yes, what everyone said, omfg it's awesome, flamewing for tech member, etc.

#19 User is offline footbigmike 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (flamewing @ Nov 2 2010, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (footbigmike @ Nov 2 2010, 08:30 PM)
- The crash that occurred at the end of Aquatic Ruin also happened in Emerald hill 1. I presume they're the same bug as everyone else seems to have. But here are pics for reference!

Note that in both, Knuckles has just jumped and glided into the ground. Coincidence, I think NOT! It could totally have something to do with that reason Knuckles wasn't in Sonic 1, with the conveyor belts and stuff, right?

How exactly have you triggered it? Did you get hit as Knuckles glided over the ground, get hit while triggering a character swap or something? Also, what emulator are you using (or are you running on hardware)?

Running Fusion 3.64. Interestingly enough, I was recording at the time of both incidents. See for yourself:

Hope this gives some insight as to the strangeness.

#20 User is offline Azookara 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
I've been obsessively loving this hack, flamewing <3

Also I've noticed some layer problems with the characters which happens rather often. They'll happen to go in front of objects like pipes, corkscrews and other backgrounds or backdrops that are meant to overlap Sonic, Tails or Knuckles. Although this may happen because all three of the characters have a tendency to fly back to the character being used which requires them to overlap all backgrounds; but since Tails always did this in Sonic 2 and still never (at least for me) had this overlapping problem, you believe it could be fixed and/or was an overlooked bug?

You may have already addressed this issue, but I decided I should still mention it for the sake of getting noticed if you didn't know this issue. smile.png

#21 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
With your permission I want to publicize your hack via My YouTube Channel, flamewing.

Its so great, IT MUST BE SHARED.

#22 User is offline Xenowhirl 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

• Wiki edits:30
Heh, I thought it was weird that nobody was working on this or had ever thought to try it before. Looks like I was wrong.

This is well done and actually fun and you're definitely much further along than me (and I started mine 4 days ago, what a coincidence that the start time is so close), but, I have to criticize the palette choice: I can really notice the way it changes the enemies and some other objects, since the blacks turn into dark gray, the (lighter) dark grays get merged with that color too so shading detail is lost, the reds get darker and slightly bluish, and also bright things like everyone's gloves look flatter because of a missing shade of medium gray. And this could be incomplete but isn't Super Knuckles supposed to glow different colors from Super Sonic?

But you're going in a different direction than me anyway by putting so many things from S3&K like the Sonic 3 sprites; I'm trying to keep it more purely Sonic 2 except for Knuckles as he behaved in S2&K.
This post has been edited by Xenowhirl: 02 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

#23 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12
(edit: moved new stuff to first post)

Following Aquaslash's suggestion, here is the topic for the hack.

A description for those new to the topic:

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are fully functional in Sonic 2, having been backported from S3&K, and can be played at the same time.

It has the following features already:
- Powerups are shared between players.
- Tails can fly, swim and can carry either Sonic or Knuckles.
- Knuckles can glide and climb.
- Sonic can use the insta-shield.
- Lots of physics imported from S3&K.
- Lots of graphics imported from S3&K, particularly when they could be used to reduce the VRAM footprint.
- S3&K Shields have been ported, but aren't available yet in the game.
- Projectiles bounce off of Tails' tails and from Knuckles when gliding, as well as from shields, like in S3&K.
- Player 1 can swap to the AI-controlled players by pressing 'A'; player 2 can also do this, but he can only swap to the other AI. In all cases, the character must be on-screen and not being controlled by a human player.
- New HUD, done so as to free VRAM for Knuckles.

Future plans (as in: I already know about these issues and I will work on them as time allows):
- Selecting appropriate locations to place the (already fully implemented and functional) S3&K shields.
- Adding/reusing art so that Tails can carry Sonic and Knuckles at the same time (code already exists).
- Adding code and adding/reusing art so that Knuckles can carry Sonic and/or Tails while gliding and climbing.
- Adding code so that Tails and Knuckles can tailgate behind Sonic, especially when super.
- Fixing special stages so that they work correctly.
- Fixing Sonic in the Sega screen.
- New title screen featuring the 3 characters, as well as a pre-title screen mentioning Knuckles.
- New credits, particularly for Deebs for what little I used of her Amy Rose sprite (which still looks good despite palette mangling...)
- Fix the options menu, including options to change character order and which members you want on the team.
- Remove the 2p item in the menu screen, as the 2p mode has been thoroughly removed.
- Fixing the endings, particularly in the super case.
- Making all characters available in Sky Chase, Wing Fortress and Death Egg. An initial step has been done in the latest version.
- Support for multitap, so 3 human players can play at the same time. This will happen only after I figure out multitap protocol.
- Sonic's AI still does not set an animation when respawning, so he uses whatever he was using when he disappeared.
- ROM title needs fixing; I didn't fix it yet because it is minor, unimportant and trivial to fix.
- Knuckles has issues climbing on surfaces.
- Editing the demos. This is the second-to-last thing I will do on this list (the last being fixing the ROM title).

The following bugs from the previousfirst version have been fixed:
- Instashield during the act clear screen messes up the letters.
- Dying and respawning breaks it in a whole crazy way.
- Music doesn't return after getting an Extra Life.
- Weird crash with Knuckles (hopefully) fixed.
- Portraits messed-up in Sky Chase, Wing Fortress and Death Egg.
- Super portraits for Knuckles and Tails were missing.
- The player mode variable was miss-behaving.
- Balriky had wrong colors.
- Knuckles' lower jump height makes his following the other duo a lot more difficult. (AI does not have a lower jump).
- AI follows player much more closely now.

Things to look out for:
- There may be some remaining palette issues. While I did a good job of hunting them down, one or another may have slipped.
- Badniks you can't interact with. I don't think there are any -- but to minimize lag, I switched to a S3&K-style collision list instead of checking for collisions with every object. This requires me to add code to add them to the list.

Without further addo, here is revision 0.02.
This post has been edited by flamewing: 08 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

#24 User is offline ::CMG (UTOPIA):: 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

I fucking love you!!!

Playing this now, will post bugs if I find any

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read the entire thing, lol. v.png
This post has been edited by ::CMG (UTOPIA)::: 02 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

#25 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:20 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12
QUOTE (Xenowhirl @ Nov 3 2010, 02:08 AM)
This is well done and actually fun and you're definitely much further along than me (and I started mine 4 days ago, what a coincidence that the start time is so close), but, I have to criticize the palette choice: I can really notice the way it changes the enemies and some other objects, since the blacks turn into dark gray, the (lighter) dark grays get merged with that color too so shading detail is lost, the reds get darker and slightly bluish, and also bright things like everyone's gloves look flatter because of a missing shade of medium gray. And this could be incomplete but isn't Super Knuckles supposed to glow different colors from Super Sonic?

You have a nice eye for detail. I went through the route of cramming the 3 characters in the same palette line; using the S3&K Sonic (which has one less shade of blue) allowed me to add one shade of pink for Knuckles and removing one of the grays allowed me to add the green for his socks. I then swapped the reds for the Knuckles colors, so that Sonic's and Tails' shoes aren't exactly red. The palette reuse everywhere from S2 made title cards, Robotnik and several badniks mis-colored, with the grays being merged being probably more noticeable -- although the changed reds is also noticeable, particularly in Robotnik.

As for the super forms: all characters use the same palette cycle, and the same colors when super; the way I did things left me few other choices. Tails can probably flash with his correct super colors; but Knuckles would cause the other character's shoes (and his own) to glow as well.

Edit: Changing the darkest gray to black and darkening the middle gray makes an enormous difference. So much so that I will be using it from now on.

Unrelated: to any mods/admins out there, could you move the posts related to my hack to the thread I created?
This post has been edited by flamewing: 02 November 2010 - 11:33 PM

#26 User is offline Namo 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

• take a screenshot of your heart

Oh my God what is that!? Well at least for those of you wondering what the palette is... there you go. specialed.png

But anyway, this is impressive. I was wondering how you managed to squeeze Knuckles in there. Does he seriously take up as much VRAM as the bits you removed from the HUD?

I'll never understand these things.

Also, encountered a bug that's not on the list yet.
-The Speed Shoes slow down the music.

AND The music did return after I got an extra life, though I got it via collectiong 100 rings. Would that make a difference?
This post has been edited by Namo: 02 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

#27 User is offline Woohookitty 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

• Wiki edits:254
WOOHOO! You officially rule the universe and all that is holy. smile.png

#28 User is offline K2J 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

• YOU CAN USE A MACHINE WITH MEMORY DATA
  • Project:Not School
  • Wiki edits:8
Wow, this is a cool idea. So it's P1, P2, and CPU? Or can you do P1 and two CPUs?

QUOTE (Namo @ Nov 3 2010, 12:46 AM)
Oh my God what is that!?

Wild MISSINGNO.
appeared!

#29 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Post a video of this if you can. It looks awesome.

#30 User is offline Hez 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
this is titties. DO MOAR

• 145 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users