Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Who Can Test On Hardware? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Who Can Test On Hardware?

#16 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
* 60Hz Nomad
* 50Hz MD1, MD2, MCD1, MCD2, 32X
* Flashcard that can take ROMs up to 3MB/24MBit in size (but not a byte more)

However I'm not in a position to easily deploy ROMs due to various OS shenanigans so if I'm doing testing I'll need a sizable amount of notice and leniency =P

#17 User is offline mdawgmike 

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

• Wiki edits:1
I've got some gear and am also willing to test whatever someone wants to throw at me. I have the North American (NTSC) hardware as that's where I reside:

Genesis, Model 2 w/ composite video and stereo audio output utilized
Sega CD, Model 2

MegaCart -- roms up to 32Mb
Neo Myth MD -- roms up to 40Mb
(yes, I have two flash carts...as I have differing uses for them)

You can either send me a PM here, or a message on Steam. I'm usually on weeknights.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mdawgmike
This post has been edited by mdawgmike: 19 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

#18 User is offline snkenjoi 

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

• Wiki edits:26
UK MD1 modded to 60Hz.

I also have a Flashcart that supports 24MBit ROMs.

However, I know it can support 32MBit if not for the firmware, so I've been trying to work out how the firmware interacts with the mapper. I have a full disassembly of the firmware with some notes, I've just not worked it totally out yet. (It's a tototek cart)

I actually asked tototek for the source code to the firmware, I don't think they appreciated me saying that if they didn't give it to me I'll disassemble it anyway smile.png

#19 User is offline Chilly Willy 

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

• Project:Doom 32X
QUOTE (snkenjoi @ Mar 19 2010, 12:54 PM)
I actually asked tototek for the source code to the firmware, I don't think they appreciated me saying that if they didn't give it to me I'll disassemble it anyway smile.png

Which is what I did to figure out how the TotoTek cart works (disassemble the menu, not ask for code). smile.png

The code is pretty simple. You shouldn't have any trouble with a disassembly.

#20 User is offline EnterTheHatrix 

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Mar 19 2010, 07:23 PM)

Which is what I did to figure out how the TotoTek cart works (disassemble the menu, not ask for code). smile.png

If you've disassembled the code on a TotoTek cart, can we look at the possibility of cloning the flash cart?

#21 User is offline Chilly Willy 

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

• Project:Doom 32X
QUOTE (EnterTheHatrix @ Mar 19 2010, 02:35 PM)

If you've disassembled the code on a TotoTek cart, can we look at the possibility of cloning the flash cart?

Not sure why you'd want to. If you can clone the MD-Pro, you can just as easily make your own. The logic is simple (for a FPGA/CPLD) - just a bank selection for the sram, an offset for the final flash address, and the logic for the SSF2 bank control (which is actually the most complex part of the thing and has nothing to do with the MD-Pro itself). The code needed to use the MD-Pro is really straightforward - just set the sram selector, set the offset for the start of the rom in the flash, then rely on the CPLD emulation of the SSF2 hardware for the rest.

For what a clone would cost to make, I'd recommend instead getting the Everdrive-MD cart.

#22 User is offline EnterTheHatrix 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Mar 19 2010, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (EnterTheHatrix @ Mar 19 2010, 02:35 PM)

Not sure why you'd want to. If you can clone the MD-Pro, you can just as easily make your own. The logic is simple (for a FPGA/CPLD) - just a bank selection for the sram, an offset for the final flash address, and the logic for the SSF2 bank control (which is actually the most complex part of the thing and has nothing to do with the MD-Pro itself). The code needed to use the MD-Pro is really straightforward - just set the sram selector, set the offset for the start of the rom in the flash, then rely on the CPLD emulation of the SSF2 hardware for the rest.

For what a clone would cost to make, I'd recommend instead getting the Everdrive-MD cart.

I didn't know Everdrive-MD existed... I might buy one.

EDIT: Forget that. Ukraine with no PayPal.
This post has been edited by EnterTheHatrix: 20 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

#23 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (MarkeyJester @ Mar 18 2010, 06:16 AM)
I have a Megadrive 1 50htz and I might be getting a flash cart soon for free (That's what you get in return for helping multiple people out =P). I'll let you all know if I'm able to test in a few weeks time..

Sorry to bump, but I've just recieved a flash cart now courtesy of Lips2k7, so I can now test under a 50hz Euro Megadrive, if anyone's interested, just drop me a PM =)

#24 User is offline MCJeffsy 

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

I am pleased to say that I can join the leet group who can test on real HW.

My Everdrive MD flash cart arrived in the post the other day. smile.png

I can test on PAL MD1 MD2+MCD2. and soon I am hoping to acquire a CDX and a Genesis 3.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like something testing. smile.png

#25 User is offline snkenjoi 

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

• Wiki edits:26
This is how I roll;

#26 User is offline mmd 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:58 AM

I can test on real hardware.

Genesis Model 1 VA3 - 60Hz (Color) or 50Hz (Black and White)
3MB/24Mb Max, no SRAM

I can get the cartridge flashed and ready to test within 2 minutes, and get a video sample within 2 hours and on YouTube, but it will be recorded from my Sony PVM monitor. I have a DVD recorder but it's not working as of yet, needs a new laser transplant.

#27 User is offline Sik 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:10 AM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
QUOTE (mmd @ Jun 16 2010, 06:58 AM)
60Hz (Color) or 50Hz (Black and White)
In case somebody doesn't know about this, it means that the Mega Drive can output either NTSC or PAL, but the TV only understands NTSC so PAL appears without color. I used to cope with this when I first got a Mega Drive. It also made Get Blue Spheres extremely hard...

I wonder if anybody around here has a multinorm TV? I'm talking about those that understand both NTSC and PAL.

#28 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:27 AM

• Wiki edits:196
AFAIK, if one uses RGB SCART, the colour should appear normally on any (fairly recent?) TV. Of course, this bypasses the NTSC/PAL dichotomy altogether, and thus isn't really "multinorm"; and in any case SCART isn't popular in the US, and I don't know if S-Video (or whatever the equivalent is) works similarly.

That said, my NTSC-J Saturn displays with some minor artefacts on the two British TVs I've tried, but I'm not completely sure whether this is an issue with it or the TV(s). However, I think the other NTSC-J I previously owned did the same thing. Perhaps there's a simple reason? Could be a duff cable, for all I know. v.png

I did intend this post to be more useful than all the "I don't know"s would suggest! sad.png

#29 User is offline TmEE 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:31 AM

• SG-1000 !
  • Project:Bug Blaster SG-1000
  • Wiki edits:11
I have a TV with support for both PAL and NTSC color signals aswell as SECAM.

The B/W issue with MDs is related to something else and is not the fault of TV but MD itself. RGB will get over that, any TV that has RGB input and supports 50 and 60Hz should display colored image as long as the cable is not faulty (there are a lot of faulty cables in circulation).

...and I can still run up to 32Mbit/4Mbyte ROMs, with and without SRAM, EEPROM too
This post has been edited by TmEE: 16 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

#30 User is offline mmd 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

I actually forgot, if I use my NTSC 32X, I can actually output NTSC-50, which works on my PVM monitor.. (My PVM also has RGB inputs but I've been lazy and have not made a cable for it's DB-25 connector).

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users