Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Level 0 - Badniks - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Level 0 - Badniks

#16 User is offline Kamon62 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

View Posttest-object, on Mar 3 2009, 03:51 AM, said:

I simply love the circus badniks. They open gameplay perspectives as well. However, we should focus on level 0 for now.

Sun of a Beach Zone:
- monkey
- crab/lobster or a mammal (such as Sonic 3's rhino)
- piranha
- evil flower
- land insect
- flying > Toucan-badnik?

PS: There's a total of 24 enemies in a standard Sonic game.

Great Idea, plus it will give me some time to create some less complex badniks. All me and other people have been creating enemies with flashy and complex moves are just not going to be fun to fight as badniks. It will be nice to make a simple run-at-sonic enemy. :)
This post has been edited by Kamon62: 02 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

#17 User is offline Phos 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

• Going for the high score on whatever that little bar is
I've never seen a cuttlefish in a Sonic game. They have Octopus like camouflage, I think there's some potential there.

#18 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:50 AM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
In case you'd need these:

Posted Image

I'll try to draw a few other badniks.

#19 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:06 AM

• Wiki edits:19
A Sea Urchin could possibly act as an underwater replacement for spikes.

#20 User is offline Vipershark 

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

Has there been an anteater enemy? Maybe its tongue could stab at Sonic from long distances.

I don't recall seeing an elephant enemy. Perhaps it could be near a lake and spit water or something.

#21 User is offline test-object 

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (AerosolSP @ Mar 2 2009, 11:25 PM) [post="285705"]Posted Image

#22 User is offline Amistat 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hmmm, that's an idea...

What about a couple of classic enemies that act in a new way?
The classic Emerald Hill Coco-nuts badnik that people will look at and go "heh, you guys again, prettier sprite though I guess." Then they run under and the little bugger leaps between the trees to follow them, instead of sticking to it's original tree :p

Motobug; instead of doddering back and forth begging to be owned, suddenly pulls in his wheel, opens his carapace and flies at you!

Obviously to keep things fresh they could all do with a bit of a redesign anyway; something that gets across the idea they're clearly related to the originals (the way the orbinaut family progressed) but make them more in-keeping with the new style.

I might even try a few sprite edits to show what I mean a tad clearer.

#23 User is online Chimpo 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II

View PostAmistat, on Mar 4 2009, 08:51 AM, said:

What about a couple of classic enemies that act in a new way?

No.

I rather have original robot designs instead of just redrawing the old ones. If we just redesign enemies then we are limiting ourselves in what they can do. Not to mention it'll just look like we're lazy slobs reusing old designs.
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 04 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

#24 User is offline STHX 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
Posted Image
.gal

Since this is my first time with Gale, I decided to redo something I already did in past.
This is the first badnik I posted on the Sonic 4 forums looooooong time ago.

Basically, its a spider. The ideas is to have it to suddenly fall down when Sonic passes below it. The first time I posted it I also suggested the possibility that it could shoot lasers from the mouth, but in the end I didn't liked the idea. Additionally, if Sonic hits the silk instead of the badnik, maybe he falls on the floor and tries to run away from Sonic (or tries to climb the nearest wall).

#25 User is offline Amistat 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

"I rather have original robot designs instead of just redrawing the old ones. If we just redesign enemies then we are limiting ourselves in what they can do. Not to mention it'll just look like we're lazy slobs reusing old designs."

Sega themselves did this a few times though, so having a couple that are reminiscent of the classics wouldn't hurt surely? If nothing else they'd give it a greater feeling of continuity which would add to that retro feel.

Are we not having any orbinauts? They featured in Sonic 1, 2 and 3. If this is the spiritual squeal, wouldn't it make sense to have a new version pop up here too? The same goes for a few others; caterkillers made an appearance of some sort in each one too, albeit they changed more radically than the orbys, wrigging in the first, leaping in the second (the mystic caves dudes) and then leaping and floating in the third (leaping in sandopolis and floating in angel island zone). Admittedly the caterkillers got name changes, but they we clearly intended to be in the same family of robot designs.
A caterkiller-esq robot appeared in Sonic CD too.

It almost seems un-Sonicy not to reuse a few classic designs now I think about it o.O

#26 User is offline Blanche Hodapp 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

• *urp*
  • Wiki edits:120

View PostAmistat, on Mar 4 2009, 08:07 PM, said:

Are we not having any orbinauts? They featured in Sonic 1, 2 and 3. If this is the spiritual squeal, wouldn't it make sense to have a new version pop up here too?

What on Earth is left to do with them? Honestly. Sonic 1 had the kind that floated slowly along and could easily be avoided, as well as another that got angry and threw its spiked balls at you. Sonic 2 had at least the fire version of Sonic 1's second type (and buggered if I can remember whether there were others). Sonic 3 had one which matched your speed and would fly directly at you hoping to get a hit in, and was rather easily avoided in most cases.

If anything, people are more likely to go "oh God not this thing again" rather than "oh cool I really liked this bad guy!"

#27 User is offline test-object 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostAmistat, on Mar 4 2009, 09:07 PM, said:

Sega themselves did this a few times though, so having a couple that are reminiscent of the classics wouldn't hurt surely? If nothing else they'd give it a greater feeling of continuity which would add to that retro feel.

It almost seems un-Sonicy not to reuse a few classic designs now I think about it o.O

I second this here. If we're gonna have a bunch of completely different badniks, it would be the equivalent of replacing Mario's enemies.
You can't have a Sonic game without Coconuts or Caterkillers, the same way you can't have a Mario game without Koopas and Goombas.
This post has been edited by test-object: 04 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

#28 User is offline Amistat 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

Off the top of my head I can think of a few;

Have the orbs spin in a figure 8 similar to the Metropolis boss, presenting an element of timing to attacking them.
Have them fire the orbs in an arc in front of them meaning the player has to move back and jump between the gaps.
Have them appear normal, then when the player approaches the orbs spin quickly around them horizontally and they charge at you, jumping and hitting them on the top would damage them. If you jump over them they finish their charge and revert back to the previous well defended state.

There is still quite a lot of life in something as simple as the orbinaut. If we really want to spark nostalgia then adding things like this would really help; seeing something so recognisable acting in a new and interesting way seems like a good way to tie it in with the originals while keeping it fresh at the same time.

At least to me anyway :argh:

#29 User is offline Afti 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

• ORIGINAL MACHINE
  • Wiki edits:336
Having traditional Badniks doesn't mean they're the same.

There is a clear transition from Buzzbomber to Buzzer, but they're still clearly visible as different Badniks.

Redrawing Coconuts is a terrible idea.

Designing a logical evolution of the robot design isn't.

#30 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View Posttest-object, on Mar 4 2009, 03:39 PM, said:

You can't have a Sonic game without Coconuts or Caterkillers, the same way you can't have a Mario game without Koopas and Goombas.
Coconuts? They only appeared in one 2D game. I'm sure you mean Orbinauts...

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users