Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project Feedback - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Project Feedback

#31 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

I was thinking of doing some level layout ideas but I want to make it look more 'offical' as opposed to sketches. Is there any kind of guidelines that should be followed? I was going to do them of graph paper but I would need to know stuff like the ratio of sonics hight to how high he can jump, or the distance he can jump, just anything really to get the level proportions right.
I could work it out myself with a bit of time but if anyone already has info like that it would make things easier.

#32 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

• Graphics Artist/Developer
  • Project:Sonic Mobius
  • Wiki edits:29
I guess we're still working on the traditional "Tropical Zone"? I wasn't aware that the original contributors can still contribute. Since I became very familiar with GraphicsGale and how it works, my pixel talent sparked up a bit. I'm only doing graphics art, definitely not a leader.

#33 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

• moving on
  • Project:Game designing, working, dying.
  • Wiki edits:1
Chimpo, the sprites you have done are fucking gorgeous. They look like what I would have expected from a Sonic sequel. Kudos to you, and kudos to every other contributor.

#34 User is offline RamiroR 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

• Wiki edits:9

View PostPhoebius, on Mar 1 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

I think this project doesn't deserve a place on this forum anymore.
It may become a good game, but it's no longer a community project. It's just "Chimpo's fan game recruiting some artists"

Well, I have to say that I completly agree withhim, it just doesn't look like community project anymore

View Postjman2050, on Mar 1 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

Members are being asked upon to give their input and contributions to the project of their own free will, ergo, it's a community project. That does not imply that the development of PSR should be a democratic process. That ship has sailed and sunk spectacularly.

I don't like Chimpo being completely totalitarian about the decision-making process, but it's pretty obvious that it's a necessary evil, at least in the early stages, for this project to gain any semblence of focus.

I don't like either A person as leader, because, this looks like military dictadure! omg
But this seems to be working,Though.

However, I am sure that there must be a better why to be organized, and still have the opinion of the community.

View PostBuffaloWilder, on Mar 1 2009, 05:48 PM, said:

What a waste. There was so much good work on the other forum, that it seems like a tragedy to let it all go to seed.

Well, people had put a lot of art and music and ideas, but we have to front it, they were complaining about A PIXEL.

So, why did I make this post?

I did not make this post for complaining about Chimpo, his dictadure is working..

But, I'm making this post for asking a new way to get organized but still have the opinion of the community, we all have seen that we could not do the "direct democracy" thing, but this new way of deciding stuff it's not fair either. So, I thought we'd need a better way..

I think, WE (community) should CHOOSE leaderS (notice the S)

By the way, I know, someone does not agree with me, and I know he/she is going to write A BEAUTIFUL BIG WALL OF TEXT that I probably I am not really going to understand it :S

And Tweaker, no :P, I am not using any leader-tone, I am just trying to change this. :psyduck:

Again, I know someone is going to be angry with this, so, it is not necesarry that you put ALL your anger, I am just trying to help. Really

#35 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

• moving on
  • Project:Game designing, working, dying.
I think Chimpo is a fine leader for the project. More than one will just muck up things unnecessarily.

#36 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game

View PostLordOfSquad, on Mar 2 2009, 04:44 AM, said:

Chimpo, the sprites you have done are fucking gorgeous. They look like what I would have expected from a Sonic sequel. Kudos to you, and kudos to every other contributor.

I have to agree with that. The jumping sprite is just perfect.

#37 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

View PostRamiroR, on Mar 2 2009, 12:09 PM, said:

We've been through that over and over but so far there are very little people with the skill and capabilities who has both the time and commitment.
As things progress im sure leaders can be deligated to certain positions within the project as we put work into music, programing, level layouts and the likes, but at the moment we're just forcusing on the art and don't need any more leaders.

#38 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

• Graphics Artist/Developer
  • Project:Sonic Mobius
  • Wiki edits:29

View PostMatwek, on Mar 2 2009, 08:48 AM, said:

View PostRamiroR, on Mar 2 2009, 12:09 PM, said:

We've been through that over and over but so far there are very little people with the skill and capabilities who has both the time and commitment.
As things progress im sure leaders can be deligated to certain positions within the project as we put work into music, programing, level layouts and the likes, but at the moment we're just forcusing on the art and don't need any more leaders.

I can't agree more Matwek. Organization is important but you have to figure in time and commitment. I don't think the project is dying because it's still here and will most likely stay that way. I suppose an extra leader wouldn't hurt. Maybe be considered "Project Managers" rather than "Project Leaders". Split up a group/subforums.. or departments if you will, and perhaps add "Graphics Design" to throw some random art in.

Just a few suggestions.

#39 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:36 AM

View PostRamiroR, on Mar 2 2009, 07:09 AM, said:

:psyduck:

No.

Do not expect posts like this to actually do anything. This project has tried and failed at a 100% open, unrestricted method of contribution, and it has become grossly disorganized and cluttered as a result. The only way we can expect this project to succeed—albeit not the most pleasant way—is how Chimpo wants to approach it now.

I doubted Chimpo's leadership at first because of his tendency to be extremely blunt and discouraging, but how he brought everything to the table with his latest revamp has let me know that he really is committed to making this project great, and he really does want it to succeed. However, the anal-retentive nature of many members here make that difficult.

So I have an ultimatum—don't give Chimpo shit and he won't give you shit. Follow his guidelines and everything will go smoothly. Any opposition to this decision can either calmly and rationally raise their concerns or kindly stop contribution towards this project. If you can't see why Chimpo's leadership is the only way we can succeed from this point on, then as far as I'm concerned you're part of the problem.

Let's cut the shit and get this done, dudes.

#40 User is offline Rockman Zero 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

• Hello there, my little friend.
  • Project:Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
  • Wiki edits:6
I'm sorry to be nitpicking, but is there going to be a full speed running sprite sheet of Sonic? (You know, where his legs look like spinning wheels)

#41 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

View PostPhoebius, on Mar 1 2009, 07:24 AM, said:

I think this project doesn't deserve a place on this forum anymore.
It may become a good game, but it's no longer a community project. It's just "Chimpo's fan game recruiting some artists"

I think you, of all people, should shut your mouth. You've been the least helpful contributor out of everyone, insisting that we use old inferior artwork as opposed to new revisions that the community has brought forth. You keep coming into threads and acting like things like your lamp post is the final product rather than giving others chances to shine.

I may have been anal with the Sonic sprite, but that's because I firmly believe it's a very good sprite and shows off the characteristics of Sonic very well. I picked a contribution of a member here over my own work. A small few may have not liked it but I am not here to please 5 people.

I don't care if this gets labeled as "Chimpo's Game". This is pretty much my project now. That is why I'm in charge. That doesn't mean I won't take suggestions from others. Just as long as they actually put effort into their suggestions and try to actually get something basic going rather than tell me to "PUT THIS IN!".

A lot of you just want to suggest an idea and cry foul when nobody wants to do it. Why should any of us put effort into an idea you don't want too either?

If you have an idea, then it's your responsibility to get it as close to reality as you possibly can so that the community can pitch in and help you see it to completion and not for them to pick up your slack.

P.S:

View PostPhoebius, on Mar 1 2009, 07:24 AM, said:

It's just "Chimpo's fan game recruiting some artists"

Isn't that exactly what you were doing when you ran the project?

And lol, recruiting artist. I have yet to ask anyone to personally help me out with the project. If people are contributing it's out of their own free will. Everything else you've seen since my leadership has either been contributions or done by myself, not some recruits. Get your facts straight before you accuse me of anything.

View PostRockman Zero, on Mar 2 2009, 08:35 AM, said:

I'm sorry to be nitpicking, but is there going to be a full speed running sprite sheet of Sonic? (You know, where his legs look like spinning wheels)

Yes. It's not finished. It's under the Missing section.
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 03 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

#42 User is offline test-object 

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
What ever happened to the quickturn, anyway? ;)

#43 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

I just want to get Vanilla-Sonic up and running. Nothing special, just Sonic.

#44 User is offline test-object 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:38 AM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
Bugger... ah well. More familiar to the crowd, I guess.

#45 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:38 AM

I never said it was trashed.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users