Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project Feedback - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Project Feedback

#16 User is offline jman2050 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

  • Teh Sonik Haker
  • Posts: 625
  • Joined: 10-December 05
  • Wiki edits:4
Members are being asked upon to give their input and contributions to the project of their own free will, ergo, it's a community project. That does not imply that the development of PSR should be a democratic process. That ship has sailed and sunk spectacularly.

I don't like Chimpo being completely totalitarian about the decision-making process, but it's pretty obvious that it's a necessary evil, at least in the early stages, for this project to gain any semblence of focus.

#17 User is offline Vaiyt 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

  • Oglio p'ru ├žeu
  • Posts: 185
  • Joined: 24-December 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the verge of insanity
I appreciate Chimpo's efforts in trying to keep the focus. Really, if the Sonic sprite has been decided people should stop bitching for now, or get themselves off their asses to make a better spritesheet to replace the official one.

However, it's kinda expected that people would throw ideas all over the place to at least some degree. So many people want to leave a mark on the project, and everyone has an idea of how -their- Sonic game should play.

Chimpo can sort out what has real potential and tell the rest "now work on THIS and improve it". Then people should start putting some work in making the already decided things better.

#18 User is offline jman2050 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

  • Teh Sonik Haker
  • Posts: 625
  • Joined: 10-December 05
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostVaiyt, on Mar 1 2009, 11:33 AM, said:

However, it's kinda expected that people would throw ideas all over the place to at least some degree. So many people want to leave a mark on the project, and everyone has an idea of how -their- Sonic game should play.


Exactly, and this is precisely the type of activity that needs to be discouraged.

#19 User is offline jasonchrist 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

  • Give Us A Wank
  • Posts: 1893
  • Joined: 22-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
I hope to Christ that the fast jog is not in lieu of the traditional running animation.

If it isn't then I'd be happy to work on that.

#20 User is offline Polygon Jim 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

  • Posts: 3071
  • Joined: 29-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:across town from Hinchy
  • Project:All the bitches.
  • Wiki edits:582
Here's that signpost I said I would make. Not sure were to put it since we don't have a general object thread.

http://www.fileden.c...5/signpost2.gal
Currently 18 colors. The red from the =( face and the orange backing added 2. Obviously the =( face is a placeholder for Robotnik.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 User is offline jasonchrist 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

  • Give Us A Wank
  • Posts: 1893
  • Joined: 22-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
Probably the best Sonic has looked on a signpost.

Nice work!

#22 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

  • Posts: 1821
  • Joined: 20-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:19
About those spin dash sprites... They don't look quite right to me because the quills rotate too slowly in relation to the rest of the spin-dash "ball". Plus, they look a bit too thin.
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 01 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

#23 User is offline test-object 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

  • By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Posts: 1345
  • Joined: 29-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Antwerp
  • Wiki edits:1
I'm gonna nitpick a bit here:

The stretched arm is awkward. I'd prefer to see that hand on the bottom of the signpost, placed so the palm of the hand is looking away from you.
Whether the edges seem too thin or Sonic is hanging too much out the post.
Change the orange to dark blue or some stuff... Unless the orange is just a placeholder :3

Finally, if I may, I would like to suggest a frame inbetween the turned and the basic view. It doesn't look like spinning just yet. It looks like flashing.

#24 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5174
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostChimpo, on Mar 1 2009, 01:58 PM, said:

View PostPhoebius, on Mar 1 2009, 03:19 AM, said:

All I can see is that you only kept your work, and totally ignored what had already been done on the old forum (artworks, etc)


A bunch of mix and match and recycled artwork from other people's games that conflicted with one another?

No thanks.

So all the Level art for the tropical and city levels, and all the badnik, egg prision, robotniks ship, etc etc, are not going to be used in this project?

I just want to know on the off chance that I will ever want to use them again.

#25 User is offline BuffaloWilder 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

  • One of these men cannot be right.
  • Posts: 87
  • Joined: 30-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:McMurdo
  • Wiki edits:1
What a waste. There was so much good work on the other forum, that it seems like a tragedy to let it all go to seed.

#26 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

  • Posts: 2258
  • Joined: 09-December 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Wiki edits:30

View PostBuffaloWilder, on Mar 1 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

What a waste. There was so much good work on the other forum, that it seems like a tragedy to let it all go to seed.

And there was so much failure along with people complaining about 1 pixel differences in edits. It would have just been a loop for fucking ages.
This post has been edited by Krigo: 01 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

#27 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: 26-July 06
  • Gender:Not Telling

View PostRika Chou, on Mar 1 2009, 11:41 AM, said:

View PostChimpo, on Mar 1 2009, 01:58 PM, said:

View PostPhoebius, on Mar 1 2009, 03:19 AM, said:

All I can see is that you only kept your work, and totally ignored what had already been done on the old forum (artworks, etc)


A bunch of mix and match and recycled artwork from other people's games that conflicted with one another?

No thanks.

So all the Level art for the tropical and city levels, and all the badnik, egg prision, robotniks ship, etc etc, are not going to be used in this project?

I just want to know on the off chance that I will ever want to use them again.


Things like badniks and egg prison might be brought up again, but the actual level artwork will not.

I disliked the fact that all the levels were set in stone and the fact that the level artwork conflicted with one another since they were taken from different sources rather than being remade with a unified style.

Level artwork is okay.

Badniks and stuff, maybe.

Nothing is guaranteed to return.

And as for the totalitarian make over. Really, I just had enough with the lack of progress. Whenever I said anything was final, I would get nothing but pages as why we shouldn't use it and use something else. Just when I thought we were done and moving on, we go back to the same thing. It was unfair to me that I had to keep putting up the work in getting some basic animations done while everyone else was discussing Super Sonic or a pixel in Sonic's eye.

It would have never come to this if you've people just worked on the project instead of complaining. During the developing process, things will change, others remain the same, or removed entirely. I thought this community out of all would know this after all the Sonic 2 betas that have been found. There were differences ranging from music, graphics, animations and even entire levels getting revamped or cut. Why you choose to argue over something so small and meaningless in the name of "perfection" baffles me when you can put the same amount of effort on everything else that's actually necessary. Not everything has to be pixel perfect. Just look at Eliza in god damn Street Fighter 2, or the missed white stripe on Sonic's shoe in Sonic 1.

Spread your passion evenly people.
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 01 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

#28 User is offline Blast Processing 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

  • Posts: 1024
  • Joined: 20-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:5
Ken wasn't much of a looker himself in his ending in SFII: World Warrior.


Or Ryu's face for that matter.

#29 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

  • Posts: 799
  • Joined: 19-July 08
  • Gender:Male

View PostChimpo, on Mar 1 2009, 09:15 PM, said:

Level artwork is okay.

Badniks and stuff, maybe.

Nothing is guaranteed to return.

And as for the totalitarian make over. Really, I just had enough with the lack of progress. Whenever I said anything was final, I would get nothing but pages as why we shouldn't use it and use something else. Just when I thought we were done and moving on, we go back to the same thing. It was unfair to me that I had to keep putting up the work in getting some basic animations done while everyone else was discussing Super Sonic or a pixel in Sonic's eye.


What about the universal objects such as starposts, moniters, springs and the like? We made a fair amount of progress with them. Or are you leaving them be for the moment to keep things uncluttered?

#30 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: 26-July 06
  • Gender:Not Telling
I'll make a general object thread later, but for now the focus is Sonic and the Level.

  • 6 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users