Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Level 0 - Level Design - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Level 0 - Level Design

#31 User is offline Badassbill 

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

View PostMatwek, on Apr 11 2009, 09:41 AM, said:

I dig the sand and the background (ocean and clouds), but those palm trees are pretty "Ehhh". The leaves are the worst part. Maybe there needs to be more of them? I don't know. I just don't like how they're sort of angular but sort of not and they're spaced so far apart...

I just copied Chimpo's doodles.

#32 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
I am liking this. Maybe a little more darkly shaded than I'd have expected but the shapes are very nice.
Another leaf on the palm trees probably wouldn't hurt.

#33 User is offline Jof 

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

• Project:Sonic Fantasy
I totally dig the shadow alongside Sonic, and think for areas like this, it should be kept.

#34 User is offline PC2 

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
I like it. The slightly lifted perspective to simulate a 3D feel reminds me of the Donkey Kong Country games and Kirby Super Star - a direction which, I think, perhaps the original games could have been headed, especially considering games like Sonic Blast, S3D, and Labyrinth. I'm on the same boat as Blaze about the trees, though. Maybe another revision of Rave's trees would work better?

#35 User is online synchronizer 

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

• Wiki edits:19
I like it alot, except that the colors of the sand seem a bit to dull to me. Tropical Sonic Zones are always very bright and colorful. If the sand was just a bit more bright yellow...

#36 User is offline test-object 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Wiki edits:1
Posted Image
sup?

#37 User is offline Kamon62 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (test-object @ Apr 18 2009, 08:59 PM) [post="301583"]Posted Image
sup?[/quote]

Wasn't my Toucan Badnik going to be saved for the tropical stage, hmm?

I like where the beach idea is going...but maybe some beach themed enemies. RETURN THE CRAB! :specialed:

#38 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

• On a neverending quest to find the Oldbie Lounge
  • Project:Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3
  • Wiki edits:136
Is there anyone working on a layout for the stage? I've got started on one, I want to know if someone else is so we could work together if they so wish.

#39 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

View PostMoonshadow Caz, on Apr 18 2009, 11:50 PM, said:

Is there anyone working on a layout for the stage? I've got started on one, I want to know if someone else is so we could work together if they so wish.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...mp;#entry285723
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...mp;#entry286381

Its still very much in the early stages of development.
I've got like a week left till my dissertation is due so once thats done I'll get back on it.

#40 User is offline Clutch 

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

• It was a dark and stormy night...
[quote name='Badassbill' post='299616' date='Apr 11 2009, 10:54 AM']I dig the sand and the background (ocean and clouds), but those palm trees are pretty "Ehhh". The leaves are the worst part. Maybe there needs to be more of them? I don't know. I just don't like how they're sort of angular but sort of not and they're spaced so far apart...[/quote]

I just copied Chimpo's doodles.
[/quote]

Should've recognized your handiwork sooner BAB. Good as per usual.

I actually like the trees in this version for the fact that they remind me of that primitive-3D element that made it into the Genesis games yet seem less stiff and inorganic than the trees in GHZ. The other tree, despite looking great seem somewhat to edge closer to Ristar in style (though admittedly, the styles aren't exactly dissimilar) and I think it may stand out a bit too much for a background object.

I wonder about redesigning the leaves in BAB's version to look less plain though, possibly more like the other tree's.
This post has been edited by Clutch: 18 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

#41 User is offline test-object 

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
QUOTE (Kamon62 @ Apr 18 2009, 05:53 PM) [post="301628"]Posted Image
sup?[/quote]

Wasn't my Toucan Badnik going to be saved for the tropical stage, hmm?

I like where the beach idea is going...but maybe some beach themed enemies. RETURN THE CRAB! :eng101:
[/quote]
Your toucan is being used as first level badnik, in the same way as the flying Chameleon from Sonic 1. You should check there more often. *wink wink*
...I just realised how I find a flying chameleon weird, but a flying fox perfectly normal.
This post has been edited by test-object: 24 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

#42 User is online synchronizer 

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

I combined some elements from previous concepts to make a quick map. How is it?
http://img528.images...ectretro013.tif
Let me know what you think.
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 02 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

#43 User is offline STHX 

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
Hmmm....

2 main paths during the course of the act. One seems faster and one has more platforming.

Seems interesting, and seems fitting for a first stage, but I'll keep the final word when I'll play it, since you can't never know. Also, do I spot water in some part?

However, could the map be more horizontal? If we suppose the first stage has Sonic on the island's beach, it makes more sense if the map is horizontal, or ascending, at least.

#44 User is online synchronizer 

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

Yes, there are a few pools of water, and waterfall slides. This was just a concept, but I see what you mean about it being a little too vertical. I was sort of thinking about those large waterfall pylons in Palmtree Panic's background. Maybe THIS could be Act 2, while Act 1 centers around the beach. In this, the only part I had with sand dunes was at the beginning. It could be a level transition area. I had difficulty thinking of the level specific gimmicks the classic Sonic levels had.
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 02 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

#45 User is offline STHX 

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
About the level progression, this made me come an idea.

What if the beach is act 2?
I'll explain. I don't see a beach to be a whole level, however putting it only at the start, like S3&K, may leave some potential out here.
Where would you place Green Hill Zone? What does it look like? I always wondered what GHZ truly was: you run on a long grass field with palms and flowers here and there. You suspect you're on an island. But the background is not, and if you take a look at the various 3D redintion it had you understand that GHZ is actually more similar to a green highway suspended (not really. coming out fits more) over the sea. And this is where I got this idea.

I recovered these 3 mock-ups from past posts to better explain my point:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1) First, the level starts in what looks like a "green highway" "suspended" above the sea. The first act could be a reminescent of GHZ and similar clich├Ęs. However, there could be some differences (some parts would be at the level of the sea, putting some water in, while GHZ was all above). The main concept is that this highway goes straigh to the main island. The level progression goes like this:

2) You start to see the main island in the background. Then the green highway fuses with the shoreline and the beach area starts. The beach keeps going for a little, while the "sea and island" background turns into a more tropical island background. Then:

3) The beach ends, and green highway reappears (or something with a similar pattern). But this time, it's on the main island, and it has a more tropical appearance. The backgroung is not really junglish, but it is more green, with waterfalls and trees.

Classic and new combined in one zone (and it fits with the surreal feels the zones always had).
This could give a good sense of progression. The beach will be in the zone, but the zone won't be made all of shores (variety man).

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users