Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Special Stages - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Special Stages

#16 User is offline Boinciel 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

• Wiki edits:1
I really prefer the concept of Outrun special stages. The "Twisting paths in space" idea has been done and overdone in other fangames, whereas I can't name a single one that has an Outrun-style race. Besides, how else could we fit in a remix of Splash Wave?

#17 User is offline Dr. Mustache 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:41 PM

• Likes Sloths

View PostBoinciel, on Feb 11 2009, 04:45 PM, said:

Besides, how else could we fit in a remix of Splash Wave?

That's exactly what I said when the idea was first proposed :P

#18 User is offline Afti 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

• ORIGINAL MACHINE
  • Wiki edits:336
Here's an idea...

So, the special stage is on the Tornado.

You're always moving forward, but can adjust your position on the screen with the D-Pad. All three buttons fire a laser, which lasts one second and takes three to recharge. Your goal is to shoot down Metal Sonic, who flies around in erratic patterns, throws up reflective shields, and shoots missiles at you. You have a strict time limit, starting at 45 seconds, in which to do this, and getting hit makes you lose 10 seconds of time. However, you can recover time (15 seconds bonus) by hitting the enemies, who fire weaker (-5 seconds) projectiles at you. As the stages rise, Metal Sonic can take ore hits and attacks more, and the enemies give sparser time bonuses. After you shoot down Metal Sonic, you'll have Sonic jump off and do a skydiving section, dodging mines along the way, to collect the dropped Chaos Emerald. This is over water- if Sonic or the Emerald hit it, you'll lose. Pressing the A or B button allows you to fall faster- harder to dodge mines, but required to get the Emerald; it's below you, and you're falling at the same speed initially. Pressing C allows you to fall slower, so the Emerald can catch up if you pass it.

Touch the Emerald and you're done.

#19 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

View PostSTHX, on Feb 11 2009, 06:02 AM, said:

To Veemon: You're a fucking prick. Post some actual work before just coming here and bash the ones who supported this project since day one.

This is severely fallacious reasoning. Artistic skill—or lack thereof—has absolutely no bearing on one's ability to critique and organize material. I don't have to be a sprite artist to know that a shape's proportions are off, for example—I can make out as much simply through observation using my available senses.

That said, I don't really agree with the rather blunt and insulting way Veemon disregarded what you had to say; at the same time, I don't think it really matters who came up with the idea, as long as it can be put into practice.

Keep the insults and ego to yourselves—both of you.

And for the record, I'm in support of the Outrun concept. :v:

#20 User is offline fifthelephant 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

Outrun! OUTRUN!

I want the ourun, though I always thought sonic would run a bit more like the bikes in super hang-on. (I heart super hang on)

#21 User is offline Polygon Jim 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

• Project:All the bitches.
  • Wiki edits:582
I support the Outrun concept, it would be awesome.

#22 User is online synchronizer 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

• Wiki edits:19
I'm sorry, but I just tried Outrun to see what I think about the special stage idea, and I am disappointed. Honestly, I think that Sonic Boom's idea would be really fun and challenging to play.

#23 User is offline Dr. Mustache 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

• Likes Sloths
Well presumably Outrun would be augmented a little bit for stage reasons.
But also I guess it's the whole "classic SEGA theme" that makes Outrun seem like an attractive option.

And while I'd play the other option aswell
I think I'll cast my vote for outrun.
This post has been edited by Dr. Mustache: 11 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

#24 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Outrun is an attractive option because the idea fits REALLY FUCKING WELL as a Sonic special stage. If you've played it at all, you'll see why.

#25 User is offline Ollie 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

• DIGGY DIGGY HOLE
  • Wiki edits:149
It's just that the Outrun idea just seems a little out of place and a bit too simple for a Sonic Special Stage, the other idea has a lot of gimmicks and has a general sense of a Sonic Special Stage, does anyone else think that too?

#26 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

We're using Outrun. End of story.

Hot damn, I feel like Chimpo now! :v:

#27 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

I don't recall posting. :v:
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 11 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

#28 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91

View PostOllie, on Feb 11 2009, 06:03 PM, said:

It's just that the Outrun idea just seems a little out of place and a bit too simple for a Sonic Special Stage, the other idea has a lot of gimmicks and has a general sense of a Sonic Special Stage, does anyone else think that too?

Actually, I think it tries to cram too much in at once, like that sci-fi movie about the lesbian bunny girls who go off to fight dinosaurs sent by Nazi aliens to clear off all life on earth for colonization. (I'm assuming you're referring to Afti's SS idea.)
This post has been edited by muteKi: 11 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

#29 User is offline Sonic Boom 

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

• Wiki edits:12

View Postsynchronizer, on Feb 11 2009, 01:14 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but I just tried Outrun to see what I think about the special stage idea, and I am disappointed. Honestly, I think that Sonic Boom's idea would be really fun and challenging to play.

View PostOllie, on Feb 11 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

While I really feel that my concept would fit in nicely within a Sonic game, I'm in full support of the Outrun concept because it seems to fit in better, given the new direction this project is taking.

With that said, no more mention of the other concepts should be brought up, as Tweaker's clearly pointed out.

#30 User is offline Tora 

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

View PostSTHX, on Feb 11 2009, 05:02 AM, said:

First: Sonic is fast, and most special stages where based upon this fact. Sonic runs in every special stage minus the Sonic 1 one. However no special stages where actually a race. Every one was reduced to "collect the Rings/Blue Spheres" or "destroy something". For this reason a race based special stage is something never seen in a Sonic game. This made it perfect for our game.

I don't know when you originally made that post, (since I never saw this "old forum,") but you've apparently never played Sonic Adventure Rush.

The special stages were a race against an opponent for the Chaos Emerald.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users