• Last ►
    Locked Forum

Music

#16 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
If there was ever an area in Paper Mario based in the city, that first Water Temple MP3 would fit perfectly. Icewarrior's little track is pretty cool too but I think it's lacking the Sonic "in your face" feel to it. Pretty much every theme in the MegaDrive Sonic games is memorable because of the way they were put together, that one... not so much. But it's a great start.

Also, loving that "skysurf2.mp3", that one's definately the best of the bunch.

#17 User is offline Phoenix 

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

• Has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
Agreed.
If I could stop procrastinating, I could possibly compose some music for this. It would be much easier to compose after playing a finished product of the level or something with the same feel, though. Would City Zone seem like Springyard Zone, Starlight, or something else? Just wondering.

#18 User is offline Resel 

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

Made this a while ago for Blue Mountain Zone.

http://media.putfile.com/Blue-Mountain-Zon...ork-in-progress

Work in progress.

#19 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

• let's don't forget about it
  • Project:Comic drawing, game designing, working, dying.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostResel, on Nov 14 2008, 09:29 PM, said:

Made this a while ago for Blue Mountain Zone.

http://media.putfile.com/Blue-Mountain-Zon...ork-in-progress

Work in progress.

I've loved that song since I've heard it on the old forums. I really think this is the music style we should be going for.

#20 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

I like the song too, but I don't really know if it's an appropriate style for a Sonic game.

I mentioned in another topic that the Japanese Sonic CD soundtrack is good source of inspiration for the "Sonic" style of music. The compositions were utterly fantastic, fitting each environment perfectly with that surreal sort of "Sonic" feeling that was portrayed in the game. I think such a feeling could apply just as well here.

#21 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Perhaps Sonic Jam is a better reference as to what higher quality Sonic music sounds like. If there was ever going to be a Sonic 4 by the teams that brought us Sonic 2 & 3, I would have thought it would sound more like that.

Mind you I sort-of like the "MegaDrive style" that the other music tracks have. It's got that "retro" feel (which is probably a good thing if the game continues to go by the name "Sonic Retro"). It might be nice to improve some of the instruments that the MegaDrive's chip wasn't spectacular at, but aside from that I think it should be left alone.

#22 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on Nov 15 2008, 02:50 PM, said:

Mind you I sort-of like the "MegaDrive style" that the other music tracks have. It's got that "retro" feel (which is probably a good thing if the game continues to go by the name "Sonic Retro").

See, this is what I don't get. Sonic CD was released in 1993—how is that not retro? In fact, Sonic CD is comparatively more "retro" than Sonic 3 & Knuckles was, judging solely by release date. I think it'd be much more "retro" to replicate a 90s sort of poppish, electronic style. You don't hear music like that anymore.

#23 User is offline Thundertimi 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

• Project:Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
  • Wiki edits:2
My mom relased me 1990. Let me sing every level song.
Im retro :P

Seriously: If you play sonic 1,2 or 3 whit sonic cd instruments, it sounds like sonic CD style music.
Thats why I accept it :P

#24 User is online muteKi 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Actually I kinda like that blue mountain zone music; it reminds me a tad of SegaSonic Arcade and the Sonic & Knuckles theme (I bet you based this on the remix from Virtual Sonic). It definitely needs some extra polish and extending, though.

Can I take a look at like the MIDI or tracked file you're using?

#25 User is offline The Game Collector 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

• Project:Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games

View PostPC2, on Nov 12 2008, 08:59 PM, said:

View PostIcewarrior, on Nov 12 2008, 12:38 PM, said:

This actually sounds like it could work for Cosmic City with a bit of editing. I love the more lively feel of this song as opposed to Dioxaz's approach, though that was very well done and fitting as well. With all the concepts we've come up with so far, I just don't want the game to get too gloomy in terms of the overall mood, or else that will make things to boring and awkward. However, with that being said, I always thought the underground sewer/ruins stage was going to have a much more creepy theme to it, more like Mystic Cave + Labyrinth or something.

Music can have a pretty big effect on a stage's tone, and it's probably a good idea to think about not only what would fit best for the given stage, but the game as a whole. Being "Sonicy" and fitting the environment isn't enough - how is the player going to feel when he passes 4 stages in a row of nothing but depressing environments and melancoly beats? Probably best to vary things up a bit. Things that also go into consideration would be the type of stage you're making music for gameplay-wise - is it a fast stage, a slightly slower stage, or maybe something epic? Glam City seems kind of neat for a city stage, but for a Sonic game, the beat is a little slow for a stage focused on speed, which kind of takes away from the whole "rush" a little. Part of what made Chemical Plant, Flying Battery, and Death Egg (S&K) awesome stages is how Sonic blasted through them with that fast-paced music in the background.

Did you say Mystic Cave Zone / Labyrinth? These notes I came up with to the tempo of Oil Ocean Zone have similarities to that as well as Mystic Cave Zone. It's too bad I don't have the instruments needed to be of much help. But if anyone thinks these keyboard notes are fitting in any way, you are welcome to remix them into your track. Add drums, play the notes with better synthesizers and add more instrument sounds to it. I would like to see if anything comes out of this. Even if it's not used for the sewer level or anything in this project I'd like to find somebody to remix it for my future fangame.

http://www.hotlinkfi...4plx/notes1.wav
This post has been edited by The Game Collector: 15 November 2008 - 09:49 PM

#26 User is offline Galaxia 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

• Project:degloving infants
  • Wiki edits:48
A first level Green Hill Zone type of thing

Sequenced on a keyboard first, then added all the bits into Fruity Loops as MIDI, cleaning it up and adding drums. I included the MIDI, with the rhythm cleaned up, a 320kbps MP3 and an OGG.

Enjoy ;)

#27 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

It's interesting, but the melody isn't very good, nor very complex. In addition, the song itself is very slow-paced and uninteresting. It needs to be more upbeat, especially in the piano and percussion section; right now, Lazy Daze is a pretty apt description, because that's the kind of mood that the song portrays. Sonic isn't lazy, though—at least when it comes to tearing through a level.

#28 User is online muteKi 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91

View PostGalaxia, on Nov 16 2008, 12:08 PM, said:

A first level Green Hill Zone type of thing

Sequenced on a keyboard first, then added all the bits into Fruity Loops as MIDI, cleaning it up and adding drums. I included the MIDI, with the rhythm cleaned up, a 320kbps MP3 and an OGG.

Enjoy :)

I fixed this song up. It has its place -- perhaps as menu or overworld music; compare to the song "Take a Nap" from Chaotix.

http://www.box.net/shared/slzt0ev5x5

#29 User is offline Authur 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Right now, I kind of don't care what you guys put in as long as it fits and pertains to whatever rules you made for the project. What I DO care about, however, is if you guys are going to remix the songs or something. Personally, I LOVED it when ever Sonic 3 would hit me with an Act 2 remix of the song of the zone, even more when Sonic Advance 3 did that, too...sometimes. I think that toybox zone creeps me out.

But getting back to the point of me putting this up, I think you guys should remix the song for the later acts of the zone(PLEASE have 3 acts, they should've followed this rule a long time ago). Besides, it kinda feels like a sense of progression if you think about it. Either that or you can use completely different songs like how Tweaker did it in Sonic 1 Megamix. You guys' choice, really.

#30 User is offline MaliceX 

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

• I'm back, mofos!!!!!
  • Project:Audjoo Helix VSTi Alternate Manual
Heheh. I'm definitely a fan of 80's electropop/New Wave/Jazz Fusion (Casiopea, Level 42, Chick Corea's Electrik Band), which seems to be the point of focus in the musical style. The 'styliistic' benchmarks most certainly favor that. (who is Simon Stalenhag? Those are fantastic)

I'll try some tunes and submit in a jiffy.
This post has been edited by MaliceX: 18 November 2008 - 05:41 AM

• 16 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users