Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Zone 06 : Blue Mountain Zone - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Zone 06 : Blue Mountain Zone

#31 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:27 AM

  • Posts: 12389
  • Joined: 27-June 04
  • Gender:Male
I don't particularly know if the chiptune music is a good idea. I think Sonic CD's music was too fantastic and fitting to the Sonic genre for it to not make some sort of revival in a later Sonic sequel. Think about it—the next Sonic game was more likely to be on the Sega Saturn than anything else. You could bet that would include CD audio, and the return of Naofumi Hataya's brilliant musical stylings. ;)

I mainly say this because Dioxaz made an excellent song for Cosmic City Zone that was very true to Sonic CD in style. The chord progression, choice in instruments, and other things made me fall in love with the song in the same way that Sonic CD did. It is definitely a direction that I would urge everyone to try and go forward with.

#32 User is offline Thundertimi 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:33 AM

  • Posts: 265
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
  • Wiki edits:2
True, but every sonic game music is memorable.

Sonic CD music is not.
(Or maybe, because my memory is bad :P)

Genesis music style is adding more classic feeling in it.
But I have nothing against sonic cd style music.
It may work.
This post has been edited by Thundertimi: 15 November 2008 - 07:37 AM

#33 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

  • Posts: 1807
  • Joined: 20-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:19
I hum the Japanese Sonic CD music just as much or even more than the Genesis songs. Sonic CD had a style of its own, and that style mixed with Sonic very well if I do say so myself.

#34 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

  • Fuck it
  • Posts: 7489
  • Joined: 03-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:91

View PostTweaker, on Nov 15 2008, 07:27 AM, said:

I don't particularly know if the chiptune music is a good idea. I think Sonic CD's music was too fantastic and fitting to the Sonic genre for it to not make some sort of revival in a later Sonic sequel. Think about it—the next Sonic game was more likely to be on the Sega Saturn than anything else. You could bet that would include CD audio, and the return of Naofumi Hataya's brilliant musical stylings. :psyduck:


Yeah, this is more or less what I think on the matter. I'd love to do some FM synth fun but I think it would be far more appropriate for the project to use redbook or wave audio.

#35 User is offline Resel 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

  • Posts: 113
  • Joined: 19-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Teh Computer Room
Here's an updated version I did of the Blue Mountain Zone background. In general, I added more contrast, and also I seperated the underground section into 3 seperate scrolling sections. Also, the big empty space in the crystaline mountains at the botton near the lava is for a lava fall if anyone cares to sprite/animate it.

Attached File(s)



#36 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:30 PM

  • Posts: 10223
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18

View PostMatwek, on Nov 13 2008, 03:33 PM, said:

I say keep 'Blue Mountain' but theres more then one way to say 'Blue' and 'Mountain', grab a thesaurus and see what it comes up with.
Sonic games kept it simple when naming levels.




Also... Guys, please specify which version are you talking about when speaking of Sonic CD's music. =(

#37 User is offline Zenor 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

  • flip the chessboard over
  • Posts: 259
  • Joined: 09-April 07
  • Gender:Male

View PostICEknight, on Nov 28 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

View PostMatwek, on Nov 13 2008, 03:33 PM, said:

I say keep 'Blue Mountain' but theres more then one way to say 'Blue' and 'Mountain', grab a thesaurus and see what it comes up with.
Sonic games kept it simple when naming levels.

Sonic CD didn't keep its zone names simple, at least in my opinion. So I don't think we have to keep this project's zone names simple either.

#38 User is offline GameNerd Advance 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

  • Posts: 417
  • Joined: 19-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ireland
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostResel, on Nov 16 2008, 03:12 PM, said:

Here's an updated version I did of the Blue Mountain Zone background. In general, I added more contrast, and also I seperated the underground section into 3 seperate scrolling sections. Also, the big empty space in the crystaline mountains at the botton near the lava is for a lava fall if anyone cares to sprite/animate it.


The only thing I see wrong with this is that the middle bit seems too much like simple filler space between the mountains and the lava. The rocks don't appear to be rounded enough, and the crystals at the bottom look like they've just been scribbled on with MSPaint colours (and if they were right next to lava I believe there'd be a bit more light shining off them.

#39 User is offline Blue Emerald 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

  • Teleportation, yeah!
  • Posts: 1919
  • Joined: 11-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:TBD
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostZenor, on Nov 28 2008, 03:48 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on Nov 28 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

View PostMatwek, on Nov 13 2008, 03:33 PM, said:

I say keep 'Blue Mountain' but theres more then one way to say 'Blue' and 'Mountain', grab a thesaurus and see what it comes up with.
Sonic games kept it simple when naming levels.

Sonic CD didn't keep its zone names simple, at least in my opinion. So I don't think we have to keep this project's zone names simple either.

True, but it's hard to be simple when your zone names are alliterated.

The only Genesis/CD/32X games to have the most creative zone names were Sonic CD and Knuckles' Chaotix, and both of them had alliterated zone names.

The Sonic 3 trilogy comes kind of close, though I would say Chrome Gadget, Sky Sanctuary and Hydrocity were as creative as they got.

#40 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

  • Posts: 10223
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18

View PostZenor, on Nov 28 2008, 04:48 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on Nov 28 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

View PostMatwek, on Nov 13 2008, 03:33 PM, said:

I say keep 'Blue Mountain' but theres more then one way to say 'Blue' and 'Mountain', grab a thesaurus and see what it comes up with.
Sonic games kept it simple when naming levels.

Sonic CD didn't keep its zone names simple, at least in my opinion. So I don't think we have to keep this project's zone names simple either.
But then, Sonic CD wasn't part of the main series.



Oh wait. This isn't Sonic 4 anymore, is it? =|

#41 User is offline Dan Genesis 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

  • As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute sonic-penquin thing
  • Posts: 1337
  • Joined: 29-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Top Secret. Bitch.
  • Project:KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
  • Wiki edits:321
Huh, damn. I looks like you already have the volcano elements in this level. I was gonna suggest that this level lead right into a volcano zone.

#42 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

  • Posts: 794
  • Joined: 07-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostResel, on Nov 16 2008, 08:12 PM, said:

Here's an updated version I did of the Blue Mountain Zone background. In general, I added more contrast, and also I seperated the underground section into 3 seperate scrolling sections. Also, the big empty space in the crystaline mountains at the botton near the lava is for a lava fall if anyone cares to sprite/animate it.


<33333333333333
This background is really really really sexy
Gonna sprite some fucking lava falls right now ;D

#43 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

  • Posts: 794
  • Joined: 07-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:4
did the lava falls and some fixes of my own:
Posted Image
soon I'll animate it

#44 User is offline Dan Genesis 

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

  • As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute sonic-penquin thing
  • Posts: 1337
  • Joined: 29-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Top Secret. Bitch.
  • Project:KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
  • Wiki edits:321
Oh, I got it!

Act 1 - Ice Level
Act 2 - Ice/Volcano Mix
Act 3 - Volcano Level

#45 User is offline Resel 

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

  • Posts: 113
  • Joined: 19-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Teh Computer Room
QUOTE (Rave @ Nov 28 2008, 07:08 PM) [post="251294"]Posted Image
soon I'll animate it[/quote]
WIN.

That's awesome, I like how you changed the transition from the above ground to underground cave. And the lava fall looks great too. I have to work on the tiles for this zone some more, too. Just gotta find the time.

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
    Locked
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users