Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Zone 04b : "Underground Zone" - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Zone 04b : "Underground Zone"

#31 User is offline CyclopsCaveman 

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

• Crawled out of a fan.
  • Wiki edits:2
I like Overlord's idea. Maybe we could have some sort of end or mid level trap where Sonic encounters a dead end where you can't go backwards at all, maybe after traveling through an aqueduct or something (Pneumatic tube system akin to CPZ's, excpet Sonic jumps into a river of rushing water. When Sonic is walking along a path he reaches a dead end that is broken open by a large tremor that destroys the floor and makes Sonic fall into an aqueduct that has a huge amount of rushing water. We could even style an entire boss around it.), and when he breaks out a small rock caused by a tremor seals the way. Then, something throws Sonic against the back wall. A large tremor shakes the zone for a few. Next, a hole just big enough for Sonic blasts open in a diagonal from the wall opposite him. A lava fall starts flowing and hits the ground, quickly starting to fill up the chamber. The only way for Sonic to go is through the hole. There should also be an indentation wherever the lava fall falls, so Sonic can have some time to drop into the tube before a tremor shakes the hall and lava comes pouring into the passageway he's in like a volcano just had an orgasm.

#32 User is offline DerangedHermit 

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostBlue Emerald, on Nov 16 2008, 01:48 AM, said:

View PostResel, on Nov 15 2008, 10:42 PM, said:

Underground Labyrinth is cool. Definitely.

Though I don't know, I think Roman Labyrinth would work if the level stuck to a Roman vibe, with pillars and stone sculptures of Robotnik dressed up as Caesar. (yeah, you know you want to see that!).

But yeah, I think we totally need to use Labyrinth somewhere in the name.

How about "Aqueduct Labyrinth Zone," or to avoid overextending the title card, "Aqueduct Maze Zone?"

Ancient Aqueduct?

#33 User is offline Icewarrior 

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

• I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!!
Tidal Ruins?

#34 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

What did we just say about name suggestions?

Read the pinned topics before posting.

#35 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Bit of a rushed job but I though I might as well get some feedback on it in the hopes that we can get some actual content done.
Posted Image

#36 User is offline Zenor 

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

• flip the chessboard over
That's pretty nice I think.

But maybe you could change some of those colors. Instead of a brown tone, you could give it a more yellow tone, as you would probably expect from ancient ruins.. And the grass could use some more hue shifting, because it's seems like you're using just tones of green. So I think it maybe would be better to give it some yellow to that green.. Just to give some more attention, make it seem more lively, or something like.
This post has been edited by Zenor: 25 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

#37 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

Yeah. I wasn't too keen on the colours myself, I was trying to match it to the screen shot of Alundra Phoebius posted in another topic but im don't think it looks right at the moment (That and it doesn't tile properly either). Plenty of work to do on it.
This post has been edited by Matwek: 25 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

#38 User is offline Phoenix 

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

• Has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
Heh, the concept art looks like it's based on Old New York in Futurama.

#39 User is offline GameNerd Advance 

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:21 PM

• Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Matwek @ Nov 25 2008, 05:14 PM) [post="250109"]Posted Image[/quote]

that looks like it would work better for the Rainforest Ruins zone. I quite liked the orangey, neat tiled roman-esque theme that Phoebius was building up with his art for this zone.

#40 User is offline BadCopNoDonut 

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

• O RLY?
  • Project:Sonic D T
  • Wiki edits:3
There's too much talk on this project and not enough art. Lets fix that people. I'll start. I whipped this together. I did this in 2 styles-A more rounded off brick and a more square brick. The nicks in them are just for detail, I expect the details to be changed and overhauled as it went on, as well as the moss to change. Its just a bit of an early design, since few else seem to be making any art for this thing. Not to be a douche, but if we keep sitting around just talking, nothing's gonna get done. If you're not that great at making sprites(I'm sure as hell not) you can do level art, and vice versa. This project can be a lot more if people bother to contribute something past "I like this" or "No I don't like this...change it", blah blah blah.

Posted Image

Excuse the .jpg. I'm too lazy at the moment to open up Giffy and convert from .bmp to .gif right now and Photobucket likes to convert to .jpg for some reason.
This post has been edited by BadCopNoDonut: 11 December 2008 - 01:55 AM

#41 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:21 AM

I've been trying to encorage people to do more art but it seems to be a 'you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink' type situation.
Its a great start, I like the bricks but someting else is needed, maybe some patternes and symbols on some of them. Also I thought it would be quite good to have the moss much thicker and bulging to show its been growing a long time, like my post above (but better).

#42 User is offline BadCopNoDonut 

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

• O RLY?

View PostMatwek, on Dec 11 2008, 08:21 AM, said:

I've been trying to encorage people to do more art but it seems to be a 'you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink' type situation.
Its a great start, I like the bricks but someting else is needed, maybe some patternes and symbols on some of them. Also I thought it would be quite good to have the moss much thicker and bulging to show its been growing a long time, like my post above (but better).

I definitely agree more needs added to the bricks. I was attempting to lay a foundation for lack of a better word to give people something to go off. I'll try to mess with em and maybe make some that looked cracked and stuff later tonight once I have more time. I could try my hand at other things for details...any suggestions for types of symbols that would be fitting? I have an idea or two based on an old hack I was working on that had bricks, but I'm open to other ideas as well.
This post has been edited by BadCopNoDonut: 11 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

#43 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

View PostBadCopNoDonut, on Dec 11 2008, 06:43 PM, said:

View PostMatwek, on Dec 11 2008, 08:21 AM, said:

I definitely agree more needs added to the bricks. I was attempting to lay a foundation for lack of a better word to give people something to go off. I'll try to mess with em and maybe make some that looked cracked and stuff later tonight once I have more time. I could try my hand at other things for details...any suggestions for types of symbols that would be fitting? I have an idea or two based on an old hack I was working on that had bricks, but I'm open to other ideas as well.

well im afraid at the moment im going to have to be very vauge with my suggestions as I have a deadline for tomorrow and currently im just procrastinating.

- The level is unlike the normal water ruin theme in that more vegetation has been growing, imagin sky sanctury left to get overgrown, then placed underwater.

- as for patterns I would say a mix between roman architecture but with somekind of aztec feel to the symbols

Actually now I think about it thats fairly specific, I guess im just excited that someones actually done some work rather than just talk about it.
At this moment in time I say just try as many variations as you can and post everything you come up with no matter the quality, the more actual work we get down the better.

#44 User is offline BadCopNoDonut 

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

• O RLY?
Posted Image

Here we go. I've added two possible things to break up the monotony of the bricks. Also I added some cracks in some of the bricks since this is a ruinous level.
This post has been edited by BadCopNoDonut: 12 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

#45 User is offline Blue Cheese 

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Posted Image
This is just something I threw together but maybe something less elaborate like discolored bricks?

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users