Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Zone 03 : "Rainforest Ruins Zone" - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Zone 03 : "Rainforest Ruins Zone"

#16 User is offline PlasmaNuke 

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

• Project:Surviving.
  • Wiki edits:23
Are we allowed to post our own pixelart for this here?

#17 User is offline Blue Emerald 

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

• Teleportation, yeah!
  • Project:TBD
  • Wiki edits:4
I started working on the snake Badnik for this zone. I think it looks pretty close to the sketch.

Posted Image

I chose a sort of neon green for it because I thought it might stand out more in the zone, while keeping the intended look.
I wanted to use silver to make this guy look more like a Badnik, but it didn't look right, so I went with a pale yellow. The head might need some work done on it, concerning the shading.

#18 User is offline Kamon62 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:18 PM

I had an idea for a badnik in this rain forest zone. Seeing as it is set in a rain forest I believe it should have rain forest creatures. I have chosen to make a Toucan Badnik to fit the theme! Basically, if you can't read the writing, my idea for this is to have this badnik sitting in the trees. When Sonic approaches it flies down low to the ground. The bird beak and wings will hurt you but you can destroy it by jumping on top of it. This birds wings are like a guillotine and folds them down to the ground. They just tip the ground so you can't roll under it. As the wings touch the ground I thought maybe it could have some grass or other debree flinging out as it barely cuts the ground for a good effect that shows it is cutting through it. Also it has jet packs so the idea that it isn't using its wings whilst flying won't be confusing. Also, another variation could be it perching on something in the back ground. and it enlarges as it comes into view on screen. Please tell me what you think.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline Blue Emerald 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:56 AM

• Teleportation, yeah!
QUOTE (Kamon62 @ Nov 15 2008, 10:18 PM) [post="246208"]Posted Image[/quote]
The toucan is a cool idea. Why not use the toucan in both the foreground and background? It'd be great to have two different versions of the same Badnik. That's what I'm doing in my game, anyway.

For the background toucan, keep in mind that it should swoop up when it gets close enough to the screen, to prevent obstructing the player's view. Otherwise I like it. I might work on a preview sprite of that sometime.

#20 User is offline Kamon62 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (Blue Emerald @ Nov 16 2008, 05:56 PM) [post="246256"]Posted Image[/quote]
The toucan is a cool idea. Why not use the toucan in both the foreground and background? It'd be great to have two different versions of the same Badnik. That's what I'm doing in my game, anyway.

For the background toucan, keep in mind that it should swoop up when it gets close enough to the screen, to prevent obstructing the player's view. Otherwise I like it. I might work on a preview sprite of that sometime.
[/quote]

I'm way ahead of ya! This is my first time creating a sprite so I'll just leave it under the the name of a WIP or a Concept because it doesn't look that good at the moment. Seeing as you're a sprite artist I would gratefully have you make my creation into a sprite :thumbsup: .
Posted Image

Actually, on recall of memory, if this does get into Sonic 4, It will classified and the only ever Sonic Badnik that cannot be destroyed by spin dashing or rolling across the ground, cool, huh? I just hope this doesn't confuse any Sonic players. Most people usually spin dash enemies...this may get confusing for some.
This post has been edited by Kamon62: 16 November 2008 - 04:13 AM

#21 User is offline Thundertimi 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:40 AM

• Project:Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
  • Wiki edits:2
That is just like my parrot idea in graphic tread.
It coming out from trees or bushes.

#22 User is offline PC2 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:37 AM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
I had a crack at reshading the toucan badnik a bit. The axe beak is just an idea I'm pitching out there, to make it look more unique and menacing:

Posted Image--->Posted Image

Also
QUOTE (Kamon62 @ Nov 16 2008, 04:01 AM) [post="246280"]Posted Image

:thumbsup:
This post has been edited by PC2: 16 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

#23 User is offline Blue Emerald 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

• Teleportation, yeah!
Finished the sprite.

Posted Image

I used blue instead of green because I thought it would make this Badnik stand out more. Also, blue was the first color I thought of using when I saw the sketches.

The jet packs are brass instead of silver for the sake of originality. Also, I made the wings more rigid (this was a challenge to draw) and made them not look so attached to the body, since this a Badnik design we're dealing with.

Now that I look this over, the wings could probably use a bit more contrast, but how you do like it so far?
This post has been edited by Blue Emerald: 16 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

#24 User is offline Thundertimi 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

Not sonic style. You need to take a look of sonic 1,2,3 and S&K sprites.
That's what I did.

(Edited, because I was busy back then and Tweaker complained)
This post has been edited by Thundertimi: 16 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

#25 User is offline CyclopsCaveman 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

• Crawled out of a fan.
That's a really nice sprite, Blue Emerald! It could look more like a badnik by adding some faux bolts and making it look more like a machine, since all the badniks in Sonic games prior were clearly machine looking. I also can't tell the difference between the bird and the jetpack, but that's okay, since it's supposed to be a trap.

#26 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

View PostThundertimi, on Nov 16 2008, 04:10 PM, said:

Not sonic style.

Incredibly constructive and helpful comment! ;)

For the record, I'm going to start trashing posts like these.

#27 User is offline Armada 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

• Sometimes I do things
  • Wiki edits:12
QUOTE (Blue Emerald @ Nov 16 2008, 04:04 PM) [post="246542"]Posted Image

I used blue instead of green because I thought it would make this Badnik stand out more. Also, blue was the first color I thought of using when I saw the sketches.

The jet packs are brass instead of silver for the sake of originality. Also, I made the wings more rigid (this was a challenge to draw) and made them not look so attached to the body, since this a Badnik design we're dealing with.

Now that I look this over, the wings could probably use a bit more contrast, but how you do like it so far?[/quote]
This sprite may be "finished" but it needs a good bit of work. The shapes are poor looking, specifically the head, and the boxy feet. It looks like it could use some more shading, or perhaps a reflection as it is metallic. It also doesn't seem to look very "Sonic-y" too me barring the eyes.

#28 User is offline PC2 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
From what I can see, it is "Sonic style" for the most part, but the problem is, it still doesn't look like a badnik enough. Mainly needs to be more menacing and have a few more clear details to show that it's a robot and not just a regular bird, like the bolts CyclopsCaveman mentioned. Badniks are mean and nasty little killing machines, and S3K and Chaotix especially brought out some of the uglier-looking ones, as opposed to the cuter, more cartoony ones from previous games. The new sprite definitely looks a lot better in terms of proportions, though. I'm also digging the new palette. I'll take another crack at it later, provided Thundertimi doesn't beat me to it. ;)

EDIT: Maybe it's this screen, but you may also want to apply harder light, mainly in terms of darker shadows. You can also add little shines at the bottom to make it look more like metal, like Thundertimi's sprites:
Posted Image
Posted Image
This post has been edited by PC2: 16 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

#29 User is offline Thundertimi 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (PC2 @ Nov 16 2008, 04:26 PM) [post="246578"]Posted Image
Posted Image[/quote]

Well said! Just get sonic 3 badnick sprites, and start studying them.
Try first make simple shapes, like balls and squares.

Posted Image

I still think, that's not "Sonic style" enough.
This post has been edited by Thundertimi: 16 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

#30 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
For the record I actually like the parrot quite a bit, though its main flaw as noted is that it lacks any sort of highlighting -- badniks are made of metal, which means that they should have a metallic lustre.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users