Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level" - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 31 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

#16 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Well, I think the main issue for me is that it's just a very bland brown. I'd like it to be a little bit more colorful, like what they did in Chaotix.

#17 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

• Don't fuck with Luigi
  • Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13
Hey, just throwing a name for the zone out there, but, how does "Crystal Lake Zone" sound? I'd like to see that name in a hack, but I don't have any skills with that whatsoever =P

#18 User is offline roxahris 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:14 PM

• Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it.
  • Project:Doing anything at all
  • Wiki edits:30
It's supposed to be more of a beach/island level... the name should be more to that theme.
How about Sunny Shoreline... Zone?

#19 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:09 AM

• Imageshack took down my old avatar after nearly a decade
  • Project:catching 'em all
  • Wiki edits:1,168
First of all, I must say that adding a bit of texture to the tiles makes them look amazing! Now that I've seen that image all of the old ones look bland in comparison.

Secondly, I think the main reason people assume the background is from Sonic CD is those mountains. They are shaped very similarly to the mountains in the background of Palmtree Panic Zone!
My suggestion would be to redraw them to be more rough-looking; outside of video games I have never seen mountains with sides that are that smooth.
This post has been edited by SoNick: 10 November 2008 - 01:09 AM

#20 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
Maybe it's just me, but the new style is playing tricks with my eyes or something here. It feels like I'm looking at a pasted jpg quality picture. Ingame that wouldn't look too great to me..

One thing the background needs is to get rid of that obvious reference to Sonic CD. If you recall all the Genesis games, they kept improving on the idea of the first level. The Sonic 1 and CD BGs combined kinda fit under where it's at now. After Sonic 3 they improved the idea by making it a jungle, then in S&K it was a forest. Afterwards there Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advance both had the Beach concept, which even carried over in Heroes. There's not anything new I can think of but a newer concept should be developed. This is just going backwards really..

And I for one am still personally against this level even being in here. It's already been in Rika's old hack and it's got rather old enough, regardless of how much more updated this is proposed to be form the original. It may be beating a dead horse, but I'm curious how many others think the same. Not that it's likely to change the opinion of the people in charge either way.
This post has been edited by Shoemanbundy: 10 November 2008 - 03:19 AM

#21 User is offline Arctides 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

• I am a bloated bag of hate.
  • Wiki edits:2
Am the only person here who likes the background as is and doesn't understand why people are griping about it?

.. Must be :P

Anyways, my two cents:
The name of this zone, keeping with the color theme, should be "Chartreuse Shoreline".

God, why do I love funny color names?

#22 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:20 AM

• Don't fuck with Luigi
  • Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13

View Postroxahris, on Nov 9 2008, 11:14 PM, said:

It's supposed to be more of a beach/island level... the name should be more to that theme.
How about Sunny Shoreline... Zone?

So much for my creative name :P

Ok, how about Shimmer Beach Zone? (my second choice is Crystalline Coast Zone, but I learned in another forum that keeping a theme of levels eventually gets old :P)

#23 User is offline MoI 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:41 AM

• Rex
  • Wiki edits:19
I'm going to agree with the others who feel we may need a change from the Tropical Zone - if this is still using the Sonic 4 concept. I like the art, its good and may be able to use somewhere else. If we look at the first levels in the games and expand the motif from there, we can look at some potential first levels.

How about a Sunny Bright Meadow? May sound duller but if there is good art pooled it can be interesting. Or perhaps moving from the green motif and concerting on the secondary water element the first few levels had, then things like the first level being based on a hightech dock with the sun glittering beautifully. Think Oil Ocean, but not as harsh, with Emerald Hill or Angel Island's layout. Nice, gentle to break the player in but keeping speedy sections as well.

The boss can be fought on a Beachhead and take the road to the Circus Zone.
This post has been edited by MoI: 10 November 2008 - 10:47 AM

#24 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Posted Image
because circle tool sucks. My alternative isn't perfect but it's an improvement. Personally I think you'd be better off animating it in some way, like Oil Ocean's.

and as far as your hexagonal ground goes
Posted Image
maybe do what I've just done and have one or two a lighter (or darker) shade?

Oh and while I'm here, a while back this little project inspired me to make a few mockups of my own:
Posted Image
I mean I wouldn't recommend using it since there's a lot of sucky parts and I've no intention of going back and finishing the bits I'm missing, but I thought it might be worth posting. I've got an improved tileset if you're interested.

#25 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

• Graphics Artist/Developer
  • Project:Sonic Mobius
  • Wiki edits:29
For now, the first level will remain a tropical zone. As for the graphics in the level if you notice, they all were not directly taken from Rika's hack. There have been many changes made to them and there are still changes being made. Also, there are already some chosen names for the zone but if we find some new good ones, they will be added to the list when the deciding poll is created.

#26 User is offline MoI 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

• Rex
  • Wiki edits:19
For now - would that be implying some consideration later? :P

Although, if this was decided at the Sonic 4 forum before it moved to Retro, it may be worth over some ground again. You have a larger audience so you could get really neat ideas. While I'm not imply everything should be thrown out (There is a lot of cool stuff at the moment) It won't hurt to over established ideas .

#27 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
(I just want to add that I made the two backgrounds on a 8x8 grid, so it can scroll correctly by 8 pixels lines)

#28 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Nov 10 2008, 10:56 AM) [post="243508"]Posted Image
I mean I wouldn't recommend using it since there's a lot of sucky parts and I've no intention of going back and finishing the bits I'm missing, but I thought it might be worth posting. I've got an improved tileset if you're interested.[/quote]
These are fantastic! Seriously, can we use this instead? I absolutely love that pattern—it makes the ground look infinitely more detailed than the previous foreground.

#29 User is offline Polygon Jim 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

• Project:All the bitches.
  • Wiki edits:582
Uh, it's just GHZ with a texture.

#30 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

• Graphics Artist/Developer
  • Project:Sonic Mobius
  • Wiki edits:29
Those do look nice, I like them. I would like to see the improved tileset please.

• 31 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users