Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Truth About Dust Hill Zone - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 24 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

The Truth About Dust Hill Zone

#16 User is offline GameNerd Advance 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

  • Posts: 417
  • Joined: 19-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ireland
  • Wiki edits:1
Holy shit. Actual confirmation of Dust Hill zone's meaning?

:(

I miss the days back when Genocide City was completely ambiguous and the words "Dust Hill" would cause flamewars.

#17 User is offline King 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

  • Posts: 580
  • Joined: 24-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United States

View PostMK, on Sep 13 2008, 01:59 PM, said:

View PostKing, on Sep 13 2008, 02:57 PM, said:

Are we sure the Dust Hill mockup was fully a mockup after all?


Yes. She stated it was, and it clearly is as it fits the pattern of the other mockups. But, the art was clearly real. For all we know it was a static screenshot of the level, and then with all the sprites for Sonic and the badniks added later.

But doesn't the current findings about Dust Hill contradict what she said before about Dust Hill/Desert Zone?

#18 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

  • Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Posts: 3008
  • Joined: 02-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
And this answers the question that has been asked for a long time: Is Dust Hill Zone the Desert level?
Well, thanks for taking the question to Yasuhara, 2008 is doing good, first the protos & now this. :colbert:

#19 User is offline King 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

  • Posts: 580
  • Joined: 24-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United States
I wonder if any of the level was programmed, if at all. Did it even make it past the planning stage? Who knows, a prototype might exist with Dust Hill actually in it.
This post has been edited by King: 13 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

#20 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:07 PM

  • SEGA: Sorry Classic Sonic, we are sending you back to 1994
  • Posts: 1436
  • Joined: 30-September 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Back in Litchfield,CT
  • Project:Sonic: Super Deformed (head director) - Slowly working on it.
  • Wiki edits:196
I always knew it WAS. =P
But now we have evidence! :colbert:

#21 User is offline JetBlack 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

  • Desu? Fuck off!
  • Posts: 104
  • Joined: 22-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hull, United Kingdom
  • Project:Nothing yet!
This wins the internets. Awesome stuff :D.

#22 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

  • Posts: 1249
  • Joined: 16-June 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:109
If a prototype was created and given to press/media/magazines/etc, then they would've put pictures all over by now. If you ment in house builds, then maybe that could be true. The art for Dust Hill was definitely finished though, since I guess it was needed to create the mockup.

thx tweaker
This post has been edited by evilhamwizard: 13 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

#23 User is offline MK 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

  • Hacker
  • Posts: 309
  • Joined: 09-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England, USA
  • Project:Secret :o o:
  • Wiki edits:852

View Postevilhamwizard, on Sep 13 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

If a prototype was created and given to press/media/magazines/etc, then they would've put pictures all over by now. If you ment in house builds, then maybe that could be true. The art for Dust Hill was definitely finished though, since I guess it was needed to create the mockup.

thx tweaker


Brenda Ross stated that the art for Dust Hill was completed, yes.

...

Fuck, it's so surreal being able to use the name Dust Hill.

#24 User is offline Rob Jinnai 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

  • Not really master of theory debunking anymore
  • Posts: 215
  • Joined: 17-April 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Custom Game Engine Prototypes
  • Wiki edits:1
Okay, so you guys aren't going to double back on this like you did with Brenda Ross and later say "YASUHARA JUST DIDN'T REMEMEBER BECAUSE TWEAKER AND SIK SAID 'DUST HILL' AND YASUHARA JUST CALLED IT THAT." Granted, Ross did eventually admit it, but people weren't accepting it beforehand. :P

The funny thing about all of this is that with software development it can be hard to determine what is ever true. "Dust Hill" can be put in the Level Select with intent of it being there, and it just never got around to it. I mean, you have your Nick Arcade proto with the level select of "MARBLE ZONE" going to what would be Chemical Plant. I've said for years that Level Select names are ultimately irrelevant unless you can definitively tie them to their eventual final selves. As to how this great confusion happened... who really knows? Maybe the missing piece of the puzzle is something to do with Mystic Cave using guts from the very short-lived desert level? I don't know and I'm not going to speculate about it right now.

#25 User is offline T.Q. 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

  • The Sims 2, Dr. Julian Ivo Robotnik
  • Posts: 438
  • Joined: 28-August 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
  • Project:The company is now bankrupt. No more lego game show creations will occur
  • Wiki edits:5
Since you guys have contact with Hirokazu Yasuhara, maybe you can ask him questions about the planning of Sonic 2, before any demos, alphas, and betas were created (e.g. storyboarding, other concept arts). Maybe we can find out what descriptive names each zones was given (e.g. skyscraper zone as Oil Ocean). Basically, a formal interview about the intial stages of Sonic 2.

#26 User is offline MK 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

  • Hacker
  • Posts: 309
  • Joined: 09-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England, USA
  • Project:Secret :o o:
  • Wiki edits:852

View PostRob Jinnai, on Sep 13 2008, 03:12 PM, said:

Okay, so you guys aren't going to double back on this like you did with Brenda Ross and later say "YASUHARA JUST DIDN'T REMEMEBER BECAUSE TWEAKER AND SIK SAID 'DUST HILL' AND YASUHARA JUST CALLED IT THAT." Granted, Ross did eventually admit it, but people weren't accepting it beforehand. :P

The funny thing about all of this is that with software development it can be hard to determine what is ever true. "Dust Hill" can be put in the Level Select with intent of it being there, and it just never got around to it. I mean, you have your Nick Arcade proto with the level select of "MARBLE ZONE" going to what would be Chemical Plant. I've said for years that Level Select names are ultimately irrelevant unless you can definitively tie them to their eventual final selves. As to how this great confusion happened... who really knows? Maybe the missing piece of the puzzle is something to do with Mystic Cave using guts from the very short-lived desert level? I don't know and I'm not going to speculate about it right now.


Well the Sonic 2 names were most likely still in development too. I /think/ Chemical Plant was referred to as Chemical Factory at some point, I'm sure the others didn't have definite names either. Emerald Hill may have been Neo Green Hill for all we know, and Aquatic Ruin was just pushed to that slot later even if the name was not intended for it, as was clearly done for Mystic Cave.

#27 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

  • Posts: 651
  • Joined: 05-October 04
  • Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15
Well now we know this, I think it's pretty likely that Dust Hill did exist in a build of Sonic 2 at one point, considering Wood Zone did, which was started after the Dust Hill tiles were finished according to Brenda. Which could mean that by the Simon Wai build the looming deadline had already changed their plans for the game. Wood Zone was just a left over, waiting to be deleted, Genocide City was an empty slot never filled and Mystic Cave had moved in to Dust Hill's slot in the level select. The slot name didn't change because they obviously didn't care too much about misnamed levels at the time (Green Hill, Neo Green Hill etc)

Of course this is just late night speculation for me... :P

#28 User is offline Puto 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

  • Shin'ichi Kudō, detective.
  • Posts: 2012
  • Joined: 31-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal, Oeiras
  • Project:Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  • Wiki edits:51
QUOTE (MK @ Sep 13 2008, 08:18 PM) [post="224763"]Posted Image
This post has been edited by Puto: 13 September 2008 - 02:24 PM

#29 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

  • A "Community Enigma"?
  • Posts: 1391
  • Joined: 23-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:51
All along, I knew you guys were only trying to be logical about the whole "We don't know that Dust Hill is the desert level so let's not assume anything", but I always thought that was sort of dumb.

Feels really good to finally have this all sorted out properly. Now: What about the cacti on Little Planet? :colbert:

#30 User is offline Sik 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

  • Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Posts: 6719
  • Joined: 17-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostRob Jinnai, on Sep 13 2008, 05:12 PM, said:

Okay, so you guys aren't going to double back on this like you did with Brenda Ross and later say "YASUHARA JUST DIDN'T REMEMEBER BECAUSE TWEAKER AND SIK SAID 'DUST HILL' AND YASUHARA JUST CALLED IT THAT." Granted, Ross did eventually admit it, but people weren't accepting it beforehand. :P

That was the main reason for the second question, because I was unsure if the same thing happened again. Sending both pics of Mystic Cave and Dust Hill should have made it clear if it was Mystic Cave and not the desert level. And not only he said it was the Desert Level, he even pointed out a YouTube video with Esrael's recreation which nobody ever mentioned. So I don't think so this time.

View PostT.Q., on Sep 13 2008, 05:16 PM, said:

Since you guys have contact with Hirokazu Yasuhara, maybe you can ask him questions about the planning of Sonic 2, before any demos, alphas, and betas were created (e.g. storyboarding, other concept arts). Maybe we can find out what descriptive names each zones was given (e.g. skyscraper zone as Oil Ocean). Basically, a formal interview about the intial stages of Sonic 2.

Give him a break, geese! >_>

  • 24 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users